Niagara Browns and Erie Smallies

Aaron Shirley

I fished with a friend Mitch recently for Niagara browns and Lake Erie smallies. The lower Niagara was good for browns, and we had a riot with an average of one fish per drift. Roe wasn't working well, but a silver with pink polka dot Kwikfish was the hot ticket. Our Kwikfish got pretty beat up by the end of the day :) The browns are in full spawning colours with the kyped males looking nice and the females spitting gold. I absolutely love the way these fish smash a Kwikfish!

The fishing on the lower Niagara will only get better into December. Strange that not many steelhead are present yet, but that should change into Dec.

Niagara_11_2010_02.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_03.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_04.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_05.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_06.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_07.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_08.jpg

Niagara_11_2010_09.jpg

Lake Erie was also good. We hit some fish on tubes and Mr.Champs, but again the hot bite was "strolling" a three-way rig with a jointed walleye coloured Shad Rap. We strolled with the bow-mount electric about 1- to 1.3mph allowing the 2oz dropper weight to pound bottom and stir up the smallies. The bigger fish seemed to be in about 30- to 36-feet of water just off the structure with a lot of small fish in deeper water.

Water colour on Erie is stained green with about 3-feet of vis in the Eastern Basin. Water temp at surface is around 50 F. There isn't a lot of time left for big smallies, so get your jointed walleye Shad Raps and hit the lake if you can!

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_09.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_10.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_11.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_12.jpg

Good luck to those that are able to get out and take advantage of some of the best fishing of the year!

Aaron

Nice photos Aaron! Those smallies really have bright green colors (especially the first one) ...wonder if it has to do with the green tinge in the water.

Those browns are bee-you-teefull!!! Probably the only thing that makes me jealous of not living in southern Ont.

Fantasitc pics Aaron. Thanks for doing that.

Simcoe has been very, very good for us this fall as well on the smallies -- we've found Mark Kulik's new slammer swim baits dragged along the bottom to be the best...it's been fun to have every single person I've taken set their new PB in Smallies :clapping:

Again, great pics...if I was more confident I'd try the Niagara -- looks like a blast!

Thanks everyone, it was a fun time out there :clapping:

MSP, actually, I was using the 9'6" Rapala North Coast rod in medium action with the Kwikfish. It is an awesome rod for drifting roe and kwikfish. I was using a medium heavy rod at first, but my friend was kicking my butt until I switched to the medium action rod. I prefer to use an 8'6" to 9'6" (with the 9'6" my fav) rod in medium action on the Niagara, as I find it not only handles the long leads I use in clear water much better, but they are a lot more enjoyable with the fight :thumbsup_anim:

Yes, a three-way rig is how we fish the Kwikies. The reel is spooled with 12lb mono main line with a 12lb Maxima fluorocarbon leader approximately 7-feet in length (dropper to slinky 12lb as well). Slinky weight worked much better than pencil lead as well. Sometimes the lead works well making a racket down there, but the softer stealthier slinky worked much better this week. I also drift a little quicker than when I use roe so that the Kwikfish has a good thump and action. I drift just quickly enough to maintain bottom contact with a 3/4-ounce slinky. I also had a lot more line out with a larger angle than I normally do, as I found it worked better for the skittish browns this week.

Good fishing!

Aaron