Bait caster set up

PERCHER

I am thinking of purchasing a bait caster set up.But have know idea where to start.I have used one once with no great success but I want to give it another go.What I am looking for would be a rod reel set up for multi species.I would like to spend no more than 200.00.Any help would be great.Dan

With that kinda cash i would recommend a Shimano Citica 201d or you can pick up a Quantum AC501pt that model comes with a flipping switch so at least you can learn not only how to cast but also when your ready to learn how to flip just turn the flip switch on and off you go.

P.S

before spooling on new line when your done tying the knot to your spool put some tape on it to avoid the line slipping on the spool.

this isn't to help buy one

but to use one the best tip I can give is

a good tip while learning how to use a baitcaster is

make the longest cast you can or let out the amount of line you think you can cast then let out about 20 more ft of line and put electrical tape around the line on the spool and reel the line back in now when you cast you will not get a big birds nest

because it will stop at the tape, if you get better and more distance on your casts just let out more line and reapply the tape...should you get a big fish on that makes a run, it will pop the tape with no problem

great to have the tape on when flipping and pitching too

and if you have to cast into a strong wind the tape can save the day

you heard it here first

l run two differant lines on the spool. First line is colored (25yrd) the second is clear. When the fish runs and the clear line is being spun off the spool you get to see the color change in the clear line, you start incressing the drag and when the colored line starts comming off you snug it up tight. Their has been a few times that all my line has come off the spool and the line snaps when it gets to the end.Peace

Berkly ligntening rod is an all around good rod that is extremely light weight to make long days of casting very easy.

I had one on my 251 Calcutta, but it was a little too light for my liking. My buddy now has it paired on his cardiff 201 and loves it.

this isn't to help buy one

but to use one the best tip I can give is

a good tip while learning how to use a baitcaster is

make the longest cast you can or let out the amount of line you think you can cast then let out about 20 more ft of line and put electrical tape around the line on the spool and reel the line back in now when you cast you will not get a big birds nest

because it will stop at the tape, if you get better and more distance on your casts just let out more line and reapply the tape...should you get a big fish on that makes a run, it will pop the tape with no problem

great to have the tape on when flipping and pitching too

and if you have to cast into a strong wind the tape can save the day

you heard it here first

Well that is some good advice that i never heard before for beginners i wish i knew that when i was learning, my advice was aimed toward using PP line that stuff seems to slip around on the spool once and a while which caused headaches "MAJOR BIRD NESTS" for me when i was learning how to use a baitcaster.

A good Shimano (Castaic 201SF is my favourite) comes with mag brakes to help you get better by allwoing you to set and change the anti-backlash system. As you get better you will turn off more and more of the brakes.

Use mono till you get the hang of it. A PowerPro birds nest is a thing of art (and a horrible PITA). I got a backlash pick that has saved me a few times. Came with an otherwise useless clipper tool from CTC.

before spooling on new line when your done tying the knot to your spool put some tape on it to avoid the line slipping on the spool.

Patrick,

What type of tape? I usually use electrical tape but I'm ready to respool tonight and was thinking maybe I should try ducktape or something. Tried the mono backer, found it did not work out to well for me. I'm not sure if I had too much or to little, all I know is I prefered just having the tape on the spool then the line.

Nothing really going on, pretty boring these days until the water melts. Just work, work work.

Stick with me here I was thinking (painful I know). The purpose of the tape is to avoid slippage on the spool (casting or spinning). I was concerned that the electrical tape with the shinny kind of slippery side that the line might still slip. I would think that with packing tape the slipping would be even more, because that stuff has the plastic slippery side.

I know PowerPro FAQ lists duck tape (what can't you do with the stuff). And I'm thinking thats because its threded tape on the silver side, and thick enough that the line could "bite" into it and not slip. Then again it could be because everyone has duck tape laying around.

I wondering in maybe I should try some thin double sided tape. That for sure would not slip as the line would stuck to it. Let me stew about it some more and I'll let you know what I'm going to try.

Edited by mdej

Hey dude,

I operate on a SERIOUS budget due to the fact that I've got a baby and a gf in university...so, I grabbed a Daiwa Procaster for 50 bucks (it has a 0 to 10 backlash setting 0 being for flipping and 10 for casting beginners) and paired that up with the Lighting rod that Mepps is talking about which I got on sale for 25 bucks....

For a 75$ combo I have to say i'm impressed. It's not even a year old so I can't vouch on the longevity but I think it's a great setup for a newbie.... I've tossed various sizes of lures around from j-13's to the 1" countdown without a problem....

Cheers,

UF