What to do with a day off????

asdve23rveavwa

Went to bed last night still unsure of whether to hit the river and drift for bows, OR, hit the pier and toss some hardware. Decisions, decisions......

Woke up, and, said hardware...can't get enough of those wicked hits!!

Got to my favorite spot about 25 minutes before daybreak, started tossing glow in the darks with that cool east wind blasting me, put on the gloves (I hate fishing with gloves on, but, the ones Juli got me for Christmas a couple of years ago, are okay to fish with). No luck with the glow spoons, but, as soon as daylight hit...

To make a long (well semi-long) story short, I think I made the right decision. Had my first hit at about 7:10 AM, and, in the next two and a half hours hooked six nice bows. Went three for six (not my best percentage, usually do better with my red lazer sharp hooks)...all three of the fish I landed were males. I kept the 28 1/2"er for the smoker, and released the two chrome beauties. Only got pics of the one I kept and the last one, didn't want to keep the fish out of water for too long, on the pier.

DSCN0383.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

Not the greatest pics I've taken, but, better than nothing.

Think it was Mike's (Solopaddler) post on the new hardware he got yesterday, that, helped to make up my mind...the more I thought of that strike, the less I could resist!!

Back to work, tomorrow, bummer :D

Nice steelies there ! Do you find that the red hooks make a difference ? Or is it just a confidence thing ?

The main reason I use them is for the sharpness. Most days (not today, lol) I will land 80-90% of the fish I hook with the lazer sharps. I've also tried the Excaliburs (not red) and find they work well too. I'm not overly fond of the factory hooks on Little Cleos, so, I will always change them. As far as the colour, it definitely doesn't hurt.

Think it was Mike's (Solopaddler) post on the new hardware he got yesterday, that, helped to make up my mind...the more I thought of that strike, the less I could resist!!

Back to work, tomorrow, bummer :D

Sounds like a perfect morning Frank. :thumbsup_anim:

Y'know though..hardware is equally effective in the river. It's not a tactic solely for using on piers and esturaies.

Sounds like a perfect morning Frank. :thumbsup_anim:

Y'know though..hardware is equally effective in the river. It's not a tactic solely for using on piers and esturaies.

Thanks, Mike! Good point, on the river, I do at times toss spinners. However, I almost never throw spoons or kwikfish (not to mention those beauties you picked up yesterday!!) anymore. Some of the rivers I fish are definitely wide and deep enough to use those presentations.

Ahhhh...more weight in the vest :D

Nice fish Frankie...

I should go out for some fresh chrome on hardware out at the piers!

I need a long net... that's why I don't go LOL

Thanks, I picked up that Beckman net last year. Finally retired my old one after many years. The Beckman is pricey, but, has a lifetime warranty.

Still haven't figured out how to do multiquotes, but, Anders----glad to hear you got out as well. I love fishing the rivers, but, sometimes it's just nice to go out and chuck lures without having to put on the waders, vest, etc....

i wont be doning the waders or vests, rather the snow suit and chuck spoons off shore into Lake Superior...like you said, the hits are vicious!

One day, I'm going to have to head up your way. I've always wanted to try for some Superior bows, not too mention those coaster brookies!!