NF - getting soot off of brick?

Hey OFC!

I'll try to keep this short and sweet seeing as it's a non-fishing thread. My insurance decided they didn't want to cover my home for fire anymore because my old school wood fireplace didn't meet today's codes. On the plus side we had an energy audit a few months back and qualified for $650 towards a new high efficiency gas insert. So I pulled the old wood face-plate and doors off today to make room for the gas insert that's getting installed this week and the brick behind it is completely covered in soot!

Does anybody know any tricks for cleaning this off? Preferably some way that isn't to insanely messy? haha Anyways, just "fishing" for some advice! :thumbsup_anim:

Here's the old wood fireplace going full force....

DSCF4268.jpg

And the current state...

3e577a98.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Cheers,

Ryan

CLR

That was my initial thought Brian - but I figured I might as well ask first! :thumbsup_anim:

vacuum cleaner, electric drill and a BRASS wire brush.Brass is soft so if you are careful it wont scratch the brick.dont forget safety glasses so any breaking wires from the brush dont fly in your eyes.

Thanks Merc - the electric drill would make it a lot easier... but I don't want to make to much of a mess all over my living room with the dust...

+1 on CLR. Spray it on, let it sit for a little bit and wipe off. Repeat if needed. Worked great for us. Wire brush will work, but makes a dust/mess.

I'll give this a try this afternoon....

Ryan, I think TriSodium Phosphate (TSP) will do the trick. You can pick it up at any hardware store. It is easy to use and not too messy. You'll need rubber cloves and a stiff bristled brush.

I'm going to try CLR first just because they have it at my local "buy everything" store... lol I live in the country so I can pick up a frozen pizza, rent a movie, grab some CLR and buy myself a 6 pack to keep me happy while I work! :clapping: If that doesn't work I'll send my mother-in-law into town for me

I think you should mock up the gas insert in the whole and see how it looks with the black soot still there? Might make for a cool effect?

Yeah I don't mind the light bit above where the insert goes but the thick black stuff doesn't look nice in person at all!

Thanks Guys I'll keep you updated once the new one is in place!

Cheers,

Ryan

chemical sponge. They are made especially for this. hit up google to learn more

I strongly suggest that you so NOT use any liquids or chemicals as you will be smearing the soot further...

Here is an example of a chemical sponge...

http://www.spongeco.com/shop/home.php

I have been involved in deal with insurance repairs / restoration / rebuild for sometime now, the last thing you want to do is add liquid to soot, as it will drive it deeper into the pores of the brick.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Ryan.. go steal Ginny's "spray and wash" stain remover from the laundry room.. or some foaming bathroom cleaner. Drop sheet down.. wet the areas with a spray bottle.. spray the stain remover or foaming cleaner.. let it do it's stuff and sponge off.. then spray bottle of water again.. sponge. See where you are at and repeat if necessary.

chemical sponge. They are made especially for this. hit up google to learn more

I strongly suggest that you so NOT use any liquids or chemicals as you will be smearing the soot further...

Here is an example of a chemical sponge...

http://www.spongeco.com/shop/home.php

I have been involved in deal with insurance repairs / restoration / rebuild for sometime now, the last thing you want to do is add liquid to soot, as it will drive it deeper into the pores of the brick.

G

I second that.

Tarp it off, duct tape the joints real good, put a good fan with an elepahnt trunk in there (rental store grade) and sandblast it, thats the only way it going to look good, any liquid cleaners will just absorb into the brick even more and you'll never get it out of there.

Small little princess auto venturi sandblaster will work good, nice and small with some fine sand (not silica) but silica will work the best, the fan will suck out the dust as you go.