CB Radio

Fishnwire

I picked up a new (used) Jeep yesterday and the previous owner installed a CB radio. I haven't even turned it on yet, and I don't know the first thing about them.

-

What do I need to know? There must be laws regulating their use, right? Obviously the whole "hands-free device" thing would apply...but is there an emergency channel or restricted ones, or anything like that?

-

Any help would be appreciated.

Cool, CB's are loads of fun and a great source of information like gving away camping police units on the sides of the roads. From what I remember they call them "bears".

Channel 19 is the go to, if my mind serves me right. Thats the universal truckers channel.

Thats all I remember. Haha, have fun tunin' in on some great conversations ;)

i used to have one way back when.I think you have to register with the crtc and they give you a licence XM...........

Its easy to use and if its a good one you can 'SKIP' and talk to people from all over.

Lots of cool 'SPEAK'

like 'Take care,we care.Keep your nose between the ditches and the bears outta your britches,10-4'

I rarely use mine anymore. Be warned if you're traveling near the highway/populated areas you will learn some new words; some may even curl your hair. I wouldn't advise having it on in the presence of minors, ladies, seniors... or anybody for that matter equiped with functioning ears. Its a great close range communication tool with excellent clarity; usually better than cell phone quality and no delay like the PTT phones. Outstanding for off-roaders. A spotter will have a hand-held to help navigate rugged terrain while the drivers listen. Some off road events will have fixed spotters and when you approach the obsticle you will see a sign telling you what channel to tune to for your spotter. This helps avoid cross channeling and talking over other spotters.

6 - Popular call channel for skip. On an overcast evening you can often hear calls from way down south.

9 - Emergency (DO NOT rely on this channel for help, nobody monitors it anymore)

13 - Popular community channel and boaters at one time.

19 - Truck drivers call channel (and many seem to think they can gab all the way to Montreal on it)

26 - Commonly used for french truck drivers as 19 would be.

40 - Popular trucking company yard channel.

It's unfortunate that the airwaves have become so cluttered with filth and hatred.

Thanks for the info, folks.

One question...what is "skip"?

skip is when a radio signal is 'bounced' from layers in the atmosphere to the ground and back again.when conditions are right,usually a cloudy windless evening, you can actually communicate with someone hundreds and even 1000's of miles away.

I rarely use mine anymore. Be warned if you're traveling near the highway/populated areas you will learn some new words; some may even curl your hair. I wouldn't advise having it on in the presence of minors, ladies, seniors... or anybody for that matter equiped with functioning ears. Its a great close range communication tool with excellent clarity; usually better than cell phone quality and no delay like the PTT phones. Outstanding for off-roaders. A spotter will have a hand-held to help navigate rugged terrain while the drivers listen. Some off road events will have fixed spotters and when you approach the obsticle you will see a sign telling you what channel to tune to for your spotter. This helps avoid cross channeling and talking over other spotters.

6 - Popular call channel for skip. On an overcast evening you can often hear calls from way down south.

9 - Emergency (DO NOT rely on this channel for help, nobody monitors it anymore)

13 - Popular community channel and boaters at one time.

19 - Truck drivers call channel (and many seem to think they can gab all the way to Montreal on it)

26 - Commonly used for french truck drivers as 19 would be.

40 - Popular trucking company yard channel.

It's unfortunate that the airwaves have become so cluttered with filth and hatred.

so nothing has chaged after all these years.Sad indeed.Back in the 70's it was the same thing french rednecks against the english rednecks.Silly,silly,sillyblahblah1.gif Thank god you have 40 channels and upper and lower sidebands.