MNR replied back

misfish

I asked about having my bow and shotgun at the same time in the blind.

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

As per page 52 of the 2010 Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary:

“When hunting deer you may use or carry a firearm of the type permitted for hunting deer at that time in that Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). For example, when hunting deer during a bows-only season, you may use or carry only bow hunting equipment. You may not carry a rifle or shotgun for hunting other species”.

Having both weapon types with you would be illegal in this scenario. You would be charged if you were caught.

We would suggest just carrying the bow and using it on both species, which is legal, or just take your shotgun and hunt turkey.

We hope this clears things up for you.

Edited by BrianB

That makes sense,in Niagara the bow season closes during the shotgun hunt so it would be illeagle to carry a bow/crossbow.

I think this rule was made for safety purposes or to keep conflicts between the two styles of hunting from arising

Edited by canadadude

My question was for during the fall turkey hunt and the bow deer hunt.Both at the same time.There is no gun hunt for deer at this time.

That makes more sense,interesting question...I guess you got the answer, it would be a good idea since often you get the deer coming in while turkey hunting and vice/versa never thought have having both angles covered at once.

Your pushing it if you do take the gun out while hunting deer with a bow. Your not even allowed to take field points out with you in your quiver, you can also be charged for that.

Just plan on going after one animal or bird at a time and you will be fine.