LED Trailer light kit

asdve23rveavwa

My trailer lights have been driving me nuts this year. Always seems to be a problem with one or the other...left acts as a hazard...then doesn't work. Right is fine, then it pooches. Darn thing is less than two years old, and, yes I ALWAYS unplug before launching.

Anyways, I'm pretty darn close to re-wiring the whole thing with some new LED's, and, Princess Auto has a kit on sale for $50. Anybody out there purchased it?

Thanks

I'm going to be changing mine over to LED also but a word of caution. They're not very safe for winter driving as they don't heat up and the slush and snow covers them up and no one can see you.

Very good point Roy.Was going to mention that aswell.

i had problems with my boats lights as well, removed them and replaced with the l.e.ds from princess, have been trouble free ever since, great for boat trailers, brighter, less voltage to run them, and most guys are not towing boats threwout the winter, but a very good point by Roy none the less.Lso the l.e.ds are water tight, in 3 years i have never had to unplug them when launching!

My trailer lights have been driving me nuts this year. Always seems to be a problem with one or the other...left acts as a hazard...then doesn't work. Right is fine, then it pooches. Darn thing is less than two years old, and, yes I ALWAYS unplug before launching.

Anyways, I'm pretty darn close to re-wiring the whole thing with some new LED's, and, Princess Auto has a kit on sale for $50. Anybody out there purchased it?

Thanks

I'm having the same problems. What does the kit normally cost?

If you are going through the trouble of rewiring your trailer with the LED lights throw away the wire that is included in the kit and buy some good quality wire for the job . Usually its wire quality that causes issues with trailer wiring. As far as led lights go, they are great.

You know my vote Frank - yank the incadscents. The LED's put my asshat.gif fuse blowing issue to rest once and for all -

Got to say though - good thing I'm a fair weather boater too - never thougth about the slush melt.

Oh - and the set up will fit yours - mine was for 80 in wide limit too.

I bought my LED's earlier this year at Gander Mountain in MI. they were about $54 regular price, i hit it on a day when it was 80% off...sweet deal. Too early to tell long term but so far they have been great. I was also having issues with the old bulb ones when they go wet. I put them on my utility trailer and the work great when they aren't getting drowned weekly.

Always had trailer light issues in the past.

I've been using magnetic tow lights for quite a few years now, trouble free.

Only takes a minute to remove them when launching and just a bit longer to put them on.

Reason for the extra time to re-install is because I put plastic cable ties in a criss cross patters around the magnetic base and secure to trailer frame.

If you go over bumpy roads, railway tracks, etc, they could be shaken loose and fall off. The cable ties get snipped off at the launch and thrown out.

I install new ones before leaving the launch. Only cost a few dollars for a pack of 100.

Problem solved and the removable lights can be used for multiple trailers.

You know my vote Frank - yank the incadscents. The LED's put my asshat.gif fuse blowing issue to rest once and for all -

Got to say though - good thing I'm a fair weather boater too - never thougth about the slush melt.

Oh - and the set up will fit yours - mine was for 80 in wide limit too.

Yupper, we talked about this yesterday. Which is why I searched Princess Auto, and, happened to see the kit on sale. I messed around for a few minutes tonight...stripped the ground wire down and re-connected it. Didn't make one bit of difference! Ticks me off that this trailer is that new and has problems with the wiring already!

I've found most of the easy loader trailers out of North Bay.. they take a ground wire with a wire ring on the end and slip it over the light housing mounting bolt and then install the light. They don't even bother scrapping the paint off the frame to get a good ground. Remove.. scrap.. reinstall and Bob's your uncle.

I've found most of the easy loader trailers out of North Bay.. they take a ground wire with a wire ring on the end and slip it over the light housing mounting bolt and then install the light. They don't even bother scrapping the paint off the frame to get a good ground. Remove.. scrap.. reinstall and Bob's your uncle.

Nice!! That will be tomorrow night's experiment!!! I still want to convert to LED's eventually, but, it would be nice to get these working for the short time left this year.

I have led lights on my trailer. I do tow in the snow and have never had a problem with build up. Just a reference not argueing as I can see it happening.

I have a bad habbit of forgetting to unplug my lights when I put the trailer in the drink. I do not miss having to carry spare bulbs and fuses because guaranteed I would be blowing something every trip. Haven't had to rplace anything since I switched. Another plus is having lights on the trailer to make it easier to load when there is total darkness at the ramp. It's like going up a runway for boats.

Also, lots of these trailers are shipped on floats piled several high. The ground wire out the front is often squashed by the weight of the trailers above it. They don't look at that stuff. Trust me, it happens.