Purchasing My First Firearm

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

For the hunting you said you are interested in NOW a 20 gauge will fit the bill VERY well. Shells should be no problem at all obtaining even in the bush areas of Ontario. The 20 gauge has been around for a LONG time now and has been excepted in all kind of hunting applications.

Now remember a couple of things when you're shopping for said shotgun. If used, how old is it because some models are tough animals when you want to add another barrel, like a fully rifle barrel for deer/bear hunting. Also I would recommend a 3" chambered 20 gauge shotgun as it has more options over the older 2.75" chamber. It's even good for waterfowl hunting with 3" shells.

You mentioned you may be interested in a Remington 870 "Wingmaster". This is a fine shotgun unlike the Remington 870 "Express" which is what you will mostly see out there for sale. It's a cheaper version of the "Wingmaster" and nowhere as fine. Also there are "Light weight" versions of the Wingmaster that would be ideal for your upland game like the grouse you are most interested in. BUT you can NOT use any barrel for a "LIGHT" version.....it most also be a LIGHT barrel for this shotgun. You will find the 870 Wingmaster cost much more than the 870 Express but it a shotgun you will be proud to carry afield.

The Mossberg 500's are also a VERY fine and ECONOMICAL shotgun. Don't put up your nose to them and consider one. They have MANY MANY different models available for any kind of hunting you can imagine.

Bottom line that no one else mentioned here is you MUST shoulder the gun you intend to use and see how it fits to YOU. And don't just shoulder one...try SEVERAL and see what feels best to you and go from there.

WELCOME to HUNTING,

Bob

Fishing is my passion, and I really don't see myself having the time to hunt big game considering that fall is my favourite time to steelhead. I appreciate that may change in the future, but for right now I'm trying to get the best grouse gun possible. Not the best all around.

Dr. I have a Baikal single barrell 12g that I use for grouse and I love it. I use #5 shot and very rarely miss a bird with it even in the thickess of brush. My very first gun was .410 single shot that my dad bought me when I pass the gun security course at the age of 12 :)

I use that for the longuest time until I tried the 12g. The Baikals are very light and easy to clean and maintain. Great gun for starters :) I also like the added security with the cocking mechanism. Here's a link to the one I have

Single Barrell Shotgun

IMHO If you are only going to hunt for grouse, get a single barrel shotgun.

Leechman

Altho I have a single barrel 20ga on the bottom and 22 mag on top, I'd have to tell you the story of how many times I've come around a corner and seen multiple game birds in a group no way would my single barrel bagged 3 birds in seconds that my 12ga pump does... just a thought. :canadian:

Fishing is my passion, and I really don't see myself having the time to hunt big game considering that fall is my favourite time to steelhead. I appreciate that may change in the future, but for right now I'm trying to get the best grouse gun possible. Not the best all around.

Grab yourself a single shot break action 410. You can get them new for under $200.00

You get great range out of a 410 and its light and easy to carry. plus its very safe for a new hunter to get used to handling a gun

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

410's are nice guns. i don't think i'm able to hunt turkey with one though. taking the course in feb in hopes of going with a chum this spring.

410's are nice guns. i don't think i'm able to hunt turkey with one though. taking the course in feb in hopes of going with a chum this spring.

Before you said you wanted "the best grouse gun possible".. Now you'r talking about hunting turkey with the same gun. Two totally different quarry..

If your hunting Turkey you pretty well need a 12g. 410 is out of the question. 20g is questionable.

Get an 870 pump.. Or whatever brand you prefer, so long as it's a 12g. I only know a few people who hunt turkey with a 20g. I would say 99.9% use a 12g. And they work great for grouse too!

Edited by F-is-H

you really gotta make up your mind...like we said...12 guage...you will want to do other stuff once you get a gun...I really like a semi

in the eyes of the law, you need a 20 to hunt turkey. i appreciate that the 12 is a better turkey gun.

You may know fishing, but you're new at hunting. Pay attention to what people are saying...12 guage lad...12 guage..its the better everything gun

i agree buddy...if you are looking for an upland game gun and a turkey gun...its a no brainer IMHO a 12 gauge all the way. You will buy the 20 gauge and shortly thereafter you will be purchasing the 12.

Or you can just buy a .22 with a 10 shot clip for grouse and leave those poor turkeys alone :P

12 gauge for grouse... LOL.. i bug my buddies about it all the time, such a big gun for such a frail bird. save yourself alot of dough, and go get yourself a nice, light single shot .410, use 3 inch shells, #4 or 5 shot. No need for artillery, when your hunting something you can kill with a rock.... just my humble opinion...

If its turkey your after, well then ya better get the 12.

Jaden does just fine with a single shot .22.

jaden2.jpg

Hey Dr. Sal not sure if you made up your mind yet :dunno: but here's a little video I made today to show you how easy is to disassemble and assemble a single barrel shotgun

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid732.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww321%2Fleechman1%2F2010%2F12GaugeSingleBarrell.mp4">

Hope this will make your decision a little easier :)

Leechman

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Sault also. If your only purpose is grouse then get a 12 ga. Don't worry about recoil or too much gun. If you get small game load you will barley feel a thing. There are a few options out there and it depends what you like to do. I own a few shottys but my best purchase was a single shot 12 ga for 80 bucks that only weighs 5 pounds. When I head up north to fish the rivers it goes over my shoulder and I can't tell you how many birds I've shot with it.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

12 gauge for grouse... LOL.. i bug my buddies about it all the time, such a big gun for such a frail bird.

post-3-128655203396_thumb.jpg

this is the school of thought i grew up in.

It's a lot different now that you want to hunt turkey, get yourself a decent 3" 12ga pump action and for grouse, either a 410 or a 20ga. You will need 2 guns. A 12ga for grouse will end up making a mess of them. Guns are like fishing rods, there is a different one for each application. My dad always harped on me about how many golf clubs I had, I told him you need 14 to play and a few different ones to switch in/out of the bag for different courses and techniques, he never did understand that...

Knowing what you want to use it for get a 20ga. double or pump...you will appreciate the lighter gun for hiking etc. When wing and I walked into smash and back you could see the both of us juggling the 12s every minute or 2 on the way back, they get heavy after about 10kms of walking...especially if you're carrying other gear eg fishing rods, camping gear.

If you want to hunt turkey once or twice the old man has a side by side 12 and a bunch of turkey loads at home you can borrow.

Everyone expouts versatility in a gun, but a versitile gun means it does everything decently, not a specific job well, which hiking long trails for grouse an 8lb+ 12ga. doesn't in my opinion.

for grouse my pick is a 20g side X side, or better an over/under my favorite was a gun my buddy had, a 410g/22cal over and under.I saw mentioned a 20g/410cal over and under another sweet grouse gun.I've hunted with guys who take grouse with sling shots while deer or moose hunting, a 12g is alittle over powering but is good provided your using light loads.

I'd say go with the 20g dude. I've got a 20g mossberg pump for upland burds and it's one of my faves..

For grouse I wouldn't use shells over 2 3/4in.. for ducks, 3in shells outta do the job.

Look for an adjustable choke on the barrel too.. and never mix your shells!! I once dislocated my shoulder with a slug on full choke LOL

cheers

Edited by Highdrifter

Like it has been said "IF" all you ever intend to shoot is Grouse, or rabbit then a 20 will suit you fine.

But If you have "ANY" question about up sizing your game there is no room for doubt IMO...get the 870 combo

Its versitile, and can accomodate almost any application.

Or grab a 20, and then if you change your mind pick up a 12 later.

Like fishing rods each peice has its own specific uses that may lend themselves better to certain applications.

For exsample,

We use a 20 for birds(or a .22), a 12 for thick bush and drives when looking for Deer

And usually take along a 30-06 for sitting on ridges for those longer open shots from a stand.

But IMO

If your going to only buy ONE....the 870 supermag combo is the only one to hit all your points.

Ps.

If it's just Grouse your after and money is a concern why not a .22 ???

Its what I used to use.

Just saying :canadian:

Edited by Cookslav