found this little guy yesterday

newboykool

It's NOT late for them to start hatching now. They will familiarize themselves with their new environments in the next few weeks before looking to hibernation.

The females deposited the eggs in June/July and the eggs will either hatch around September/October or overwinter and hatch in the spring.

I was fishing a small creek a couple weeks ago and came across a dozen or so tiny snappers making their way across the road. The female had made the nest right next to the road on the sandy shoulder.

I couldn't live with myself watching these poor little ones get run over or picked off by seagulls or crows, so I picked them all up and put them into the water where they swam off.

I followed the trail of turtles and it led me to a hole in the ground with a few tiny heads poking through it. Hard not to smile LOL.

snappy3.jpg

snappy2.jpg

snappy1.jpg

Nope, not too late, yet... 2 years ago next week my wife and I were at The Pinery in Grand Bend and we found 14 of them popping out of a hole in a dirt parking area. We talked to the folks at the Nature Center there and they said it's pretty common for them to emerge around now and head into the water, so that's where we put them. Cute little buggers. Not as cute, but still neat, when they get to be 30Lbs bigger...

It's NOT late for them to start hatching now. They will familiarize themselves with their new environments in the next few weeks before looking to hibernation.

The females deposited the eggs in June/July and the eggs will either hatch around September/October or overwinter and hatch in the spring.

I was fishing a small creek a couple weeks ago and came across a dozen or so tiny snappers making their way across the road. The female had made the nest right next to the road on the sandy shoulder.

I couldn't live with myself watching these poor little ones get run over or picked off by seagulls or crows, so I picked them all up and put them into the water where they swam off.

I followed the trail of turtles and it led me to a hole in the ground with a few tiny heads poking through it. Hard not to smile LOL.

snappy3.jpg

snappy2.jpg

snappy1.jpg

great work!!! I love turtles and would do the same...

Cheers

They've been showing up around Peterborough really commonly for the last couple of weeks. As frozen-fire has mentioned, quite normal. I field calls about them most days at work and sometimes it's hard to convince people that they'll be okay despite the cold.

Bet they're still nice and tight :P

I had no idea of their timing either. Thanks for sharing.

I found a red eared slider crossing my neighbours driveway in spring. Kept it in the rabbits cage all summer and tried to find it a home with no luck. I did not want to let it go because they are out competing our native turtles but I somehow think the snappers will have no problem with them.

Snappers can be very aggressive. Hard to believe SARA has them listed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildniagara?feature=mhum#p/u/5/135S-xWEqHk