My Saturday afternoon.

Roy

Yesterday J and I took a run out to Varennes to visit a friend of mine. His name is Michel Chayer..he's been a starving artist for as long as I've known him. His wife Suzanne just retired from teaching in the last year. I've been watching his career for some years now and over the years, I've purchased a collection of his works. As a wood carver, Michel is probably one of the best there is. Well today his shop is open to the public for viewing and possible purchases I suppose. There was to be a preview yesterday by some lowlife, scumbag public "dignitaries" . Don't ask me why I showed up yesterday. :D I went and had some time with them before the rif raff politicians arrived.

Last year, Michel was fortunate enough to be honoured at the Louvre in France. His pic was all over the subway stations (called Metro stations there) and over night, his works more than quintupled in value. Well, we're by the water, the Larry, at the back of his property and he remembers one particular piece that I bought from him for $1400 and point blank offers me $5,000 for it. It took me all of NO seconds to refuse and told him that when I bought his work, it wasn't a handout...I bought them because I liked them and they all had a prominent place in my house.

So the conversation turns to other things and he tells me about his house and shop that he bought for $129,000 a few years ago and that someone had been by earlier in the week to offer him 500K for it...I side glanced and said "and your answer was?"......after no seconds in thought he said " no Roy...I bought the place because Suzanne and I liked it." Exchanged a wink and knew that we were on the same page. Shook his hand again..hugged Suzanne and was getting in the car as the first scumbag arrived. Just as I was leaving I lowered my window and said "Michel, don't stoop to their levels."

It was an enjoyable afternoon with a friend and J had a great time discussing gardening with Suzanne.

Not interesting to most people but a nice quiet time for J and I.

That sounds like a lovely afternoon Roy. I just looked up his carvings and I have a piece very similar to them I bought in Temagami. Wonder if it is one of his works.

This is the website I found for him. Really nice work: www.michelchayer.com

Edited by Joey