RIP Sly.

Guest timeout

I recall reading his posts on the Simco board, and keeping everyone on the board up to date with his battle with Throat Cancer. Very sad news, cause it seemed like he was doing good, and on the path to a full recovery.

Just curious, but was he a smoker?

At least the guy will be fishin in paradise for eternity. RIP Slytv

The first time I met sly was at a ice fishing tournament. We where competing against each other. He couldn't speak at that point in his life. But he sat there for a 1/2 hour writing on a peace of paper telling how I could catch a ling that would win me the tournament..

We have lost a true gentleman today. It's really is sad. But as others have noted, not unexpeted.

This week, I have lost to freids to Cancer, one of which was only 21 years old. Sad week.. :wallbash:

First time I met Shane I got to Sibbald and the early ice was pretty sketchy..so I set up my fish trap in shallow and started fishing. Then I see this skinny guy with a spud doing the chip, step, chip step...and man he went a way out there...and there was VERY VERY little ice. It started to rain and I waved him over to my trap pro to sit inside and try to wait it out. We chatted a bit and then the rain slowed down and he got back at it. That evening he gave a report on the Simcoe board and used the chip, step...chip, chip, step in his post and to this day whenever I see someone doing the chip step to check the ice I think of Shane that morning at Sibbald.

I can't think of a single soul who was more helpful to other fishermen then this man.

A tragic loss for all of us who knew Shane or fished Simcoe.

My heartfelt condolences to his many friends and family.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I never met Sly but I frequently go to the Simcoe message board and have been doing so for years. I first learned about the man there. I could tell from all the posts that he was great guy and a truly Good Samaritan. He was always there when people needed help no matter what and for the last few years he was the glue that held the Simcoe board together.

I am sure Shane never knew how many hearts he really touched.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to Donna and family.

Tom

As many of you have already mentioned, Shane was one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys out there. I had the pleasure of fishing with Shane once on open water, and a bunch of times on the ice. Here's how I met him - it pretty much sums up what a nice guy he was.

Probably seven or eight years ago, LONG BEFORE I WAS ON OFC (lol) I used to frequent the Lake Simcoe Message Board... and one fall, I posted a question on where my brother and I could rent a boat for the day to go perching. Shane sends me a PM moments later with his phone number, and the message "Call Me". I did, and he simply said: "Rent a boat? Nah. You and yer bro get up here and let's go. I'll show you where the perch are in Virginia Beach." I was shocked - it sounded too good to be true! But we went, had a blast, and Shane and I fished together a number of times on the ice after that at some of the outings that board held. He was always the first guy to help out if somebody needed a rescue, and the first to test the thickness of the Simcoe ice every winter. Fishing rod on the ice??? Jigging stick and a Williams, or you are a wuss...

You will be missed bud... tight lines up there.

Shane "guided" me & Bricknblock (Peter) one march day in 2006... took us out in the old "tonka truck" and hauled us around to a few spots over the day trying to get us on the whiteys

ive herd many fine stories about him over the years.... he certainly lived hard, worked hard & played hard & has now left us too earlyRIP Shane, condolences to the family, friends & buddies

I met Shane once about 5 years ago when I had just got back into ice fishing. Definitely a great guy, he even went out of his way to try and locate my short lived portable hut that got blown away one January spring thaw.

Shane, may you rest in peace, you will be missed by many.

Stan

As with many others here I never had the pleasure to meet Shane in person. I used to go throgh all the posts on the Simcoe board to see what he was catching and possibly where he was catching them. I had the oppoutunity to add Shane on my Yahoo friends list and I would send him messages whenever I saw that his I.D.was lit up. They went unanswered for the most part, but then on night he replied back. We chatted for about an hour telling fishing stories,(his were way better than mine),he finally told me he was tired and needed to sleep to build up some strenght to fight the illness.As we were signing off he told me to stop by and we would hit the lake amd do some fishing. I truely regret not being able to make time this summer for that outing.

RIP Shane, it was good to know you even in our limited way.......FISH ON!!!!!!

Edited by speckchaser

Sly....Never to Be Forgotten my freind!

Our condolences Donna and to the Family..

Distance made getting together difficult these past 5 years but Shane, you were never far from thought.

I know you'll have peace now..To one of the most thoroughly giving people one will ever know!

Peter & Charmaine...

Only met Shane once, Big Cliff and I were to meet Chevy and Shelley at the end of Sally Anne Road but there was a large crack they had to go around so Chevy asked Shane (via cellphone) to show us the way out to Slyville and they would meet us out there...Like Big Cliff said about Shane..."what a nice young man!"...R.I.P. Mate