Trout guys....chub in the creek.

Rod Caster

You go to your favorite trout stream and all you catch is chub. Are they strict competition? Do the trout feed on them? Is this natural or are they invasive?

I've seen some people throw all the chub on shore...I can't bring myself to doing this even though I feel like they clearly have the upper hand on sensitive trout populations.

What do you guys do with the chub and why?

You go to your favorite trout stream and all you catch is chub. Are they strict competition? Do the trout feed on them? Is this natural or are they invasive?

I've seen some people throw all the chub on shore...I can't bring myself to doing this even though I feel like they clearly have the upper hand on sensitive trout populations.

Judging by your avatar you could put them on a quick strike rig below a float :thumbsup_anim:

Seeing as they are a native species that should be there, and are a large part of the diet of bigger trout, you should probably let them go.....it would also be illegal to do otherwise...they ain't gobies!

If you are catching alot of chub, suckers, shiners, etc, its likely that the water is simply at a warm stage in the season, when trout are far less active, but these baitfish become much more active when the waters warm up. You may also be fishing a transitional part of the stream, where warm and cold water species mix.

I do a lot of trout fishing and just hate the little buggers myself. Having said that, I don't think you're allowed to just leave 'em on shore to kill 'em.

I find, though, that they occupy differnt parts of a stream than trout. Usually the areas with a bit slower current. If I'm catching a lot of chub, that usually tells me I'm fishing in the wrong spot.

Edited by Mike Pike

I find, though, that they occupy differnt parts of a stream than trout. Usually the areas with a bit slower current. If I'm catching a lot of chub, that usually tells me I'm fishing in the wrong spot.

On the other hand if you've been catching chubs and you come to a hole that seems strangly devoid of the little buggers, usually means there's a big old brown taking up residence there :whistling:

I've been to some smaller rivers where the chub have overtaken a whole stretch of river, these chub grow large and act as the main predator it seems. Some I've caught in the 1-2lbs!!! range. I figure this has happened to a shrinking trout population (angling, water temps), therefore opening the door to these ravenous thugs. Once this happens I figure it is nearly impossible for the little trout to compete and the chub choke out the trout. I feel too bad just killing a fish due to my desire to intervene and therefore I don't, but I'd like to think that if large chub populations were controlled, it could open up the rivers to the trout again.

It's definitely proof that trout populations are sensitive and are high in the river food chain.

Guest Johnny Bass

I'd put them back too. Its not like they are an invasive species. They co-exist in the same waters.

I wonder what it would cost to go to a hatchery and buy some trout fry and release them into your personal stream. If there are chubs in there the water should be ok. How much could it possibly cost? The only problem is other people catching and eating those fish.....

Guest jaeteriusZero

Put them back.... who knows, let nature run, next year maybe bass start to prey on them.... then you won't kill the bass because there's no trout around, would you?

Put them back.... who knows, let nature run, next year maybe bass start to prey on them.... then you won't kill the bass because there's no trout around, would you?

If bass showed up I'd be even more inclined to get rid of them since they are an invasive species. In algonquin park they have warnings against the small mouth because they take over the trout areas.

I agree that nature should run it's course, it's just sad to think how difficult it would be for trout to re-populate when there are 1000 chub per 100 meters. Then again, the decline in trout populations is mostly caused by people, NOT chub. :(

If bass showed up I'd be even more inclined to get rid of them since they are an invasive species. In algonquin park they have warnings against the small mouth because they take over the trout areas.

I agree that nature should run it's course, it's just sad to think how difficult it would be for trout to re-populate when there are 1000 chub per 100 meters. Then again, the decline in trout populations is mostly caused by people, NOT chub. :(

Theres a good chance the water quality is diminishing/warming up overall if there were once lots of trout, now being replaced by chub. Its a pretty common occurence in southern Ontario, sadly.

All of my great brook streams that have BIG brook trout have healthy chubb populations.

Definitely the case with the streams I fish - Although I have yet to hook into and land one over 15". On average, the brookies in one chub infested stream I fish is 10-11 inches compared to others that on average, are only 6-8 inches without chubs. I just release the chubs.

Freeze them and use them under a float in the spring for monster snakes!!!

Is it legal to do so? I think that's a wonderful idea if it doesn't contribute to minnow aids or whatever that virus is. I wouldn't want to harvest them of course, but the chub love to swallow that hook and there are many casualties when they are aggressive (almost all the time). I don't think it would hurt to keep a half dozen 5-7 inch chub.

They are in my trout steam but the browns eat them...i hate catching them but toss them back for the browns to feed on

I'd put them back too. Its not like they are an invasive species. They co-exist in the same waters.

I wonder what it would cost to go to a hatchery and buy some trout fry and release them into your personal stream. If there are chubs in there the water should be ok. How much could it possibly cost? The only problem is other people catching and eating those fish.....

Johnny, I think this one is crossing the line for sure. No way this could be legal! No such thing as "personal Stream". You can own the land on both sides (ands sometimes the stream bed), but the water is not owned.

I have loads of chub in the tributary of the Nottawasaga River that flows through my backyard. There are also Rock Bass in there too. I don't know if they are competing with the Brook Trout (I assume they are), but there are still lots of trout as well. I'm hoping my Grandkids will be able to catch all three species some day!

Edited by Rattletrap2