The Alaska Trip so far

brandon

Just a quick update for everybody that's ineterested. I've completed my drive from Windsor, Ontario to Anchorage, Alaska. The whole trip was about 7800kms. On saturday I fly to a town called King Salmon, AK right near Katmai National Park. On Sunday I get flown in by float plane into Katmai for a week of Grizzly Photography. I'll try and post another update once I'm back from that trip.

I'll save all the typing for my big super ultimate post when I'm back in Windsor....but for now, here's some photos taken over the last 3 or 4 days.

Sunwapta Falls, Banff/Jasper area

AH3G2605.jpg

Overlander Falls, Mt. Robson Prov. Park, BC

AH3G2650.jpg

Horses in McBride, BC

AH3G2674.jpg

AH3G2686.jpg

AH3G2702.jpg

A couple other sets of waterfalls along the way

AH3G2780.jpg

AH3G2781.jpg

AH3G2789.jpg

Caribou living the tough life

AH3G2927.jpg

Couple other Caribou shots

AH3G3047.jpg

AH3G3133.jpg

Stone Sheep

AH3G3125.jpg

Bison causing trouble on the road. This big guy would step out in front of every car that approached

AH3G3304.jpg

my favorite shot from the trip so far.....Sunrise on the Rancheria River, Yukon

AH3G3376.jpg

And finally, the Alaska Highway........IN ALASKA!!

AH3G3412.jpg

it was dark enough that I didn't need to use filters for those shots. They were each a 1 to 2 second exposure at f/22. shots like that are best to take either in dense forest, on overcast days, or just after sunset to allow you to slow down the shutter speed with out overexposing the photo. If it's still not possible to get a 1 second exposure without over exposing, you can use a neutral density filter to cut out additonal light. Hope this helps...

This thread was a real delight to read, thanks for the post and keep em coming!

I'm really like those long exposures on the river to give it that smokey look, If I remember right theres a tutorial for it in the photography section. Does it have to be a really dark gloomy day to not overexpose?

Fishing Bill, there were no polarizers used in any of the shots...the sky is really THAT blue out here!

ctranter, the darker the day, the better. but if it's still not dark enough, you can use neutral density filters to stop out extra light to get the slow shutter speed without over exposing

and to everyone else....thanks for the kind words and for reading!

Great shots as usual Brandon especially the waterfalls love those I haven't had time to take any lately but still remember when I started taking those kind of shots you taught me a lot. Thanks again!! Wish I had some of the camera equipment you have still just got my little 4.5 MegPixel point and shoot Nikon. Looking forward to seeing more of Alaska definitely God's country.

Kawartha Kev