10 man ice fishing trip

jdmls

In the middle of planning my groups annual ice fishing trip and need some help ... Last year was my first year joining this crew and unfortunately they had already booked Snowfari adventures ... To say the least, we were extremely unsatisfied.

I need some suggestions for outfitters that can accomodate 8-12 people ..

Looking for :

-Cottages on land with shuttles to day huts

-perfer to bring our own food

-looking for a Friday - Sunday trip sometime in February

-4 hour maximum commute from TO

- species of fish is not so important ,more so the abundance of fish ... Most of these guys only get out once a year and would be happy hooking anything ... I'm thinking a rich lake trout lake is our best bet, but a good walleye , pike , perch lake would work to.

Thanks in advance guys

In the middle of planning my groups annual ice fishing trip and need some help ... Last year was my first year joining this crew and unfortunately they had already booked Snowfari adventures ... To say the least, we were extremely unsatisfied.

Looking for :

- species of fish is not so important ,more so the abundance of fish ... Most of these guys only get out once a year and would be happy hooking anything ... I'm thinking a rich lake trout lake is our best bet, but a good walleye , pike , perch lake would work to.

Thanks in advance guys

I just booked our annual trip with Idle Tyme at Lake Nippissing, good outfitter, meets all your requisits.

I've used Sandy Bay Cottages on Nip (South Bay area) for a number of years now. Jeff and his staff have always been very accomodating and have treated our groups very well.

I will be going back there with a group again this season.

Cheers

Craig

first and last ice is typically best bite on nip, you have to work hard and fish the prime bite times otherwise...we've always stayed with rob hyatt, regardless of fishing always been a great trip, top notch operator

bay of quinte might work for you guys, not sure about accommodations that provide a kitchen though

bancroft to haliburton area is full of brookie and laker lakes as well....we were looking at one a few yrs ago but ended up nto happening but we would've stayed in cabins and reasonable walk to the huts

Without a doubt, check out The Waltonian Inn on Lake Nippissing. I've been going there for the past 4 years, staying in a cabin during the nights and shuttling out to the huts during the day. The cabins are clean, and have everything you need to be comfortable, plus the lodge it's self has a restaurant/bar that occasionally has live music on Friday and Saturday nights.

Fishing was ok, lots of perch, herring, Ling (caught a 13 lber this year) pike, mud puppies, and the occasional pickeral. Huts are nice and roomy, and the service from the staff is friendly and prompt.

Can't ask for a better place to stay.

We went to Boshkung last season for a weekend and stayed at Buttermilk Falls Resort. Decent cabins and very nice hosts. There were five of us in two cabins. He had about 6 huts out. Fishing was slow, but we caught several small lakers for dinner. Another group landed a real beauty.

There are other accommodations in the area for ice fishing as well.

We are probably going to try another lake this year, but just for the adventure, not because it was bad. Fishing was slow, but that's typical for me anyway :P

Rob Hyatt Outdoors on Nip. Ice bungalows I did an article for Ontario Tourism on him in 2009. I did it once (not with Rob) and it was great, got lots of these.

BTW welcome back D!

robhyattoutdoors.com (705) 752.1727

Also, Rob rents a cottage on land that is a 5 bedroom, 2900 Square Feet of living space, with all the comforts of home including 2 large screen tv's with Satellite to catch the game on at night, huge Napoleon Barbecue that will keep those steaks sizzling. I think they even have a cleaning lady that comes at the end of your trip so you don;t have to - included in the already very reasonable price to rent it.

Also, he and his wife are the nicest people we ever rented from - oh and the fishing was awesome - multiple walleye every day caught not far from the cottage and the odd pike, catfish, drum, perch, and even a sucker or two.

Edited by fisher

If I were you I would narrow it down to two places....

Lake Nipissing - with Rob Hyatt, he is a great guy, and guide!!

Bay of Quinte - With us (G2 Angling). Check out our website for pictures and blogs from last season on the ice, it was INSANE! Trophy Walleye were caught literally every weekend with us. We caught fish ranging from 2-3 lb eaters, all the way to just under 14lbs!!

G2Angling.com

The only thing I would really have people pay attention to on the ice bungalows are that they are pretty much all heated, lit and stoves with propane. A couple years back we went with Rob and ended up getting pretty sick, 2am and everyone had major headaches and hurling in the snowbank..CO poisoning. (Nobody in our group was into the booze or anything like that), I'll never go back unless I bring a portable CO detector.

Looking for :

Thanks in advance guys

Not sure about now, but our group used to go to Waltonian Inn for an annual ice fishing trip. They had just what your looking for. We always had a blast and caught fish too!!!!! :)http://www.waltonian-inn.com/index.html

Edited by Jewelbee

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there during the summer - great owners.

I just booked with Idyle Tyme too....How is the ice fishing there??? Was at Glen Echo last season not a bad weekend, but decided on someone different this time. any of your feed back about Idyle Tyme would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

I just booked with Idyle Tyme too....How is the ice fishing there??? Was at Glen Echo last season not a bad weekend, but decided on someone different this time. any of your feed back about Idyle Tyme would be greatly appriciated

Thanks

We're going back in the 3rd weekend of Jan, we had a blast both times, it slows down between 11-3, the rest of the time you are busy catching. Just got my reservation confirmation in the mail today.