NF - What tha?

The Urban Fisherman

I grew up in sudbury and don't recall ever seeing anything like this before... these little buggers :whistling: were out so thick it was like driving through a cloud... I drove just around the block (country block) tonight and my truck was completely covered in these things! It was a massacre... Averie asked me if it was rainin! lol ... dunno what they are? Nats maybe? New to me anyways..some crazy hatch goin on...

dff99a34.jpg

64ce6b41.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

same thing happened to me saturday nite coming back to montreal from ottawa. i had to stop 3 times at gas stations to squeegee them off.the windshield washer just smeared them and i couldn't see the roadmellow.gif

Buggers!

Guest Johnny Bass

Yup. Is called a mayfly hatch. I remember fishing Nipissing when it was so bad you couldn't see. Every light post, garbage can and everything else was completely and I mean completely covered by them on the dock.

Supposed to be bad for fishing because the fish start heavily feeding on them.

Ryan to be slightly more specific they're a type of mayfly.

Growing up in Sudbury you surely must have seen the slightly larger green drake hatch in June/early July?

They call them fishflies up north.

I've seen mayfly hatches before... I figured they might be a type of mayfly but i haven't seen any this small before! they were the size of and similar in shape to mosquito's! I should have taken a closeup shot of one of them... there's still plenty stuck on the truck haha... so maybe I'll do that tonight if I can..

Cheers,

Ryan

When I was growing up my family's annual summer vacation was renting a log cabin for a week in North Bay (Right near a little place called "The Owl"). Anyway, those big Mayflies would cover every sign and entire sides of homes. A white house would look brown. Quite a disturbing scene really lol.