Giant goldfish caught

Guest Johnny Bass

I have an old VHS tape (late 80s) of Babe Winkleman fishing on Lake Erie & his guide/host used goldfish for

bait instead of native minnows seemed to work pretty good for the fishing party.........

Yikes! I guess we now know where they came from in erie. Cant use em as bait anymore. Interesting read the baitfish primer.

I don`t think Babe Winkleman was at fault, I grew up in Cleveland 3 miles from the lake and used to see them as a kid. Really a lot of causes for it, people build fish ponds in flood prone area, and the first flood gives them a chance to wander. In this area everything drains into Lake Erie, but people releasing pet gold fish into rivers and streams also.

My brother also used them as bait in the 70`s? he said smallies thought they were candy. A bit pricey as a bait supply unless you raise them yourself?

Ohio`s fishing regs could be deemed as confusing?

"Fish caught by legal angling methods (such as bluegills caught by hook and line) may be used for bait." which may be misleading? other species are not excluded? such as goldfish or gobies? could you argue an undersized walleye or bass caught by legal angling means?

"It is unlawful to use fish species that are not already established in Ohio waters." There is clear evidence that gobies and goldfish are presently established? and what penalties did the perpetrators of that face?

Actually one of my first experiences fish was in the old Ohio barge canal for goldfish, like in the later 50`s? and it emptied into Lake Erie.

Edited by OhioFisherman