Bullet Weight Stoppers

LucG

I really like texas rigging soft plastics, I've even been using it on tubes with great success. However, I don't like the the fact that the sliding tungsten weight slips far to high on the line in certain applications. I know about those little rubber stoppers, but since there are none available near my location (or at least I cannot find any) what else can I use that will do the same thing. I've looked into "pegging" with a tooth pick but since I'm using tungsten weights with very small holes that wont work. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

you can get the bullet weights that screw into the tip of the worm. when inserting the the hook, bring the point out lowerer than the 4th band on the plastic worm. Pull the hook through until the eye is inside the tip. slide the weight down screw it into the tip of the worm. thats it

Depending on the size of the hole in the tungsten, you can even use something like dental floss.

Wrap the dental floss around your line 3-5 times, then with the 2 tag ends, make an overhand knot that has been doubled over 3-5 times. If you can't visualize it, look up bobber stopper knots.

Otherwise, I really recommend you order it from BPS. They sell like 45 of those stoppers for like 2 bucks, and if you find yourself something else you want to ship, it won't be so bad in shipping.

you can get the bullet weights that screw into the tip of the worm. when inserting the the hook, bring the point out lowerer than the 4th band on the plastic worm. Pull the hook through until the eye is inside the tip. slide the weight down screw it into the tip of the worm. thats it

the screw in weights work great untill the plastic on the bait starts to tear. if posible I try and screw the weight into the plastic and into the hook eye. but its not always an opption

Take an old spinnerbait rubber skirt apart and get the loose strands.

Use a small piece of line, go through the weight from the bottom while it is on your main line and then back down forming a loop above the weight, place 4-5 rubber skirt stands centered in the loop and pull the loose ends of the line down from the bottom of the weight drawing the rubber strands into the weight. Trim the loose strands above and below the weight and your done. Leave some extra tag ends if you wish to add extra colour or action to your bait.

:Gonefishing:

I can't seem to find those rubber stoppers either.. probably cause I tend to use hard baits instead of plastics.

Ever try a nail knot over your main line with dacron or spiderwire? It would probably work just as well. 20lb braid would do it and it would blend in pretty good. It would just have to be pretty tight to the mono for it to stay in place.

Those slip knots that the slip floats come with? It's a nail knot essentially.. The loops are just pre-formed around a tube with a nail knot and all you have to do is move the loops over to your line, tighten and snip the tag ends. Beauty is you don't need a tube or a tool to do the knot, a loop made of heavy mono would work just fine.

I actually use this knot instead of metal sleaves on my pike leaders cause I don't like the extra weight and it's good and strong.

I can do pic by pic if ya want.

cheers

HD

Depending on the size of the hole in the tungsten, you can even use something like dental floss.

Wrap the dental floss around your line 3-5 times, then with the 2 tag ends, make an overhand knot that has been doubled over 3-5 times. If you can't visualize it, look up bobber stopper knots.

Otherwise, I really recommend you order it from BPS. They sell like 45 of those stoppers for like 2 bucks, and if you find yourself something else you want to ship, it won't be so bad in shipping.

Right, what he said.. :tease::lol:

I can't seem to find those rubber stoppers either.. probably cause I tend to use hard baits instead of plastics.

Ever try a nail knot over your main line with dacron or spiderwire? It would probably work just as well. 20lb braid would do it and it would blend in pretty good. It would just have to be pretty tight to the mono for it to stay in place.

Those slip knots that the slip floats come with? It's a nail knot essentially.. The loops are just pre-formed around a tube with a nail knot and all you have to do is move the loops over to your line, tighten and snip the tag ends. Beauty is you don't need a tube or a tool to do the knot, a loop made of heavy mono would work just fine.

I actually use this knot instead of metal sleaves on my pike leaders cause I don't like the extra weight and it's good and strong.

I can do pic by pic if ya want.

cheers

HD

hey fidel !! thats an excellent idea man. this is the most lucid post i've ever seen from you. are you ok dude ?sad.gif

the screw in weights work great untill the plastic on the bait starts to tear. if posible I try and screw the weight into the plastic and into the hook eye. but its not always an opption

hummm, i seldom have that problem. if it tears a bit, i just clip a 1/4" off the tip, re plant the hook and screw it back in. Doesnt seem to affect the general action of the worm, and still catches fish. i just figured that jamming something between the line and a tungsten weight would cause a weekness in the line.

Take an old spinnerbait rubber skirt apart and get the loose strands.

Use a small piece of line, go through the weight from the bottom while it is on your main line and then back down forming a loop above the weight, place 4-5 rubber skirt stands centered in the loop and pull the loose ends of the line down from the bottom of the weight drawing the rubber strands into the weight. Trim the loose strands above and below the weight and your done. Leave some extra tag ends if you wish to add extra colour or action to your bait.

:Gonefishing:

Thanks guys! I knew yous would come up with some ideas. Yes, I will eventually order the real thing, but until then, I think I might use your idea Michael. Thanks

And if the holes are too small, maybe Highdrifter's idea. A pic wouldn't hurt, just in case im not picturing it right.

Edited by LucG

Thanks guys! I knew yous would come up with some ideas. Yes, I will eventually order the real thing, but until then, I think I might use your idea Michael. Thanks

And if the holes are too small, maybe Highdrifter's idea. A pic wouldn't hurt, just in case im not picturing it right.

It'd have to be a video brother.. For this application you can get away with just a regular bobber stop knot. 30lb braid is plenty thick enough to stop your bullet weight. Quick and easy.

float stopper

hummm, i seldom have that problem. if it tears a bit, i just clip a 1/4" off the tip, re plant the hook and screw it back in. Doesnt seem to affect the general action of the worm, and still catches fish. i just figured that jamming something between the line and a tungsten weight would cause a weekness in the line.

I do the same but with most worms and plastics tho some different brands of soft or hollow tubes and craws etc thats not the case. the hole head of the tube some times goes to pieces. wich can be a pain in the butt and in the wallet!

used a round tooth pick for years with the lead slip sinkers, jam it in and break it off. Seems the holes might be bigger on the tungsten ones? Didn`t use the tungsten ones much, sort of a life time supply of lead ones. you can also use a hitch hiker? need a different style of hook though, mustad 91768?

I do the same but with most worms and plastics tho some different brands of soft or hollow tubes and craws etc thats not the case. the hole head of the tube some times goes to pieces. wich can be a pain in the butt and in the wallet!

i'll have to give it a try.hard to find the screw in type around here. i asked the guy at sail the other day and he didnt know what i was talking about. maybe its a passing fad.

I just do a similar setup as i do with rainbow and salmon execpt put the weight on the bait side.. insert a small swivel or ring about 2-4 inches just above the weight. i would never cause the weight to be tight, I find with a little movement it causes vibrations to help attract the fish.

I believe there are two sizes to the those rubber stop jobs. Make sure you buy a package of both. It sucks trying to get them to fit right in the weight when they are to big or two small for the hole.