A blustery Kawartha Day with friends and fish

Bly

A few weeks ago, Slowpoke and I began making plans to get out for some Lake O Salmon and this was to be the weekend. Starting watching the weather and hoping that the forecast would improve as the week went on. No such luck. Slowpoke and I each poured over weather and lake maps to try and find somewhere, anywhere to fish this weekend. After many discussions and changes in plans it was finally decided that we would head to a Kawartha Lake as we had found one area that looked as though it might be OK in my 14ft tinny. A few hours later, one last change, Percher would be joining us and we would fish out of his boat....I am so glad that we did.

The captain and co-captain for the day

DSC01189_resize.jpg

DSC01188_resize.jpg

The gents picked me up about 6:30 and we were off loaded with rain gear and hopes for a decent day. We were all watching the winds on the way up, arrived at the launch, boat in the water and wouldn't you know it, the rain starts and only a short while after that, the wind and not the forecasted wind for the area, white caps.

Took this shot just before the wind began to pick up

DSC01187_resize.jpg

We decided to make the best of it and try trolling. 3 anglers in the boat, so three different presentations went in the water. Started marking fish but no takers, change up, 3 new presentations and something about maybe it was better to troll based on depth rather than at 12volts :whistling: . Slowpoke gets first fish of the day.

DSC01190_resize.jpg

Bass were biting fairly steady even though the rain and winds continued... a few pictures...

DSC01194_resize.jpg

DSC01195_resize.jpg

Thanks again Percher for the line tangles :angel:

DSC01196_resize.jpg

Winds increased and we decided to tuck in along a shore line that has been good for me in the past. A few more bass were caught and then we started seeing this on the fish finder...

DSC01199_resize.jpg

We made a few passes over the area, started catching perch and feeling some light, fast double taps.....walleye. Presentation change and.....

DSC01201_resize.jpg

Slowpoke managed another before the bite shut right down. Moved on in hopes of teasing a few more fish out of the lake but no such luck.

Slowpoke and Percher...it wasn't a great weather day but the company was and the fishing decent, thanks again, I had a great time.

PS See, not a word about the sunfish...

Thanks Joey and couldn't agree more about the company. Was definitely brutal at times and we were glad that we had crossed Simcoe off the list early, can't even imagine what it was like today.

GOD BLESS YOU......(you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger). You didn't give in to the weather man and made the most out of what was a nasty fishing forecast.....BEST of all you learned more about the waters you fished and the fish you caught......CONGRADULATIONS on your day on the water.... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Bob

Right on Carole :thumbsup_anim: Looks like you all had a great time fish wise.... weather.... well you made the best of it B)

On a side note.... you seemed to have lost quite some weight, hope you are doing better health wise :)

Thanks for sharing your outing with us!!!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Boat control was pivotal, as was the move from fishing in 12 volts of water to fishing in 14 feet of water. Once we found the fish en masse, we were able to coax the stupid ones into biting.

In all seriousness; the company met my expectations and the fishing exceeded them, given the conditions. It was nice to escape the rigours (riggers? LOL) of salmon fishing and a break from the muskie slime. I wouldn't have had a better time even in pristine weather conditions. I can't wait to do it again.

P.S. I won't say anything about the sunfish either.

Right on Carole :thumbsup_anim: Looks like you all had a great time fish wise.... weather.... well you made the best of it B)

On a side note.... you seemed to have lost quite some weight, hope you are doing better health wise :)

Thanks for sharing your outing with us!!!

Leechman

My health is better and continuing to improve, thank you. Family, good friends and good times help :)

Great to see you made the best of it Nice Report, I'm off with my 20 yr old son & one of his friends that has never fished before, hope we do half as good 13 degrees & 25 Km winds, but hopefully no rain

Richard

Best of luck! Look forward to hearing about it :)

Nice going out there. Glad to see you picked up some fish.

I was to chicken to head out this weekend :( I must be getting soft in my old age

Old? lol Don't go there

I had the kids out in the boat on Friday and figured I'd get some fishing done on Sunday out on GBay, NOPE!! Jeez, at the rate I'm going, I won't wash 1 musky lure this year......

Still plenty of time this year, I am sure you will be posting a beauty before the season is done :)