New Reel

Terry

Without having the book in front of me Terry, I would wager you bought that reel for less then a retailer here could get it wholesale.

I would not doubt it

but it makes me mad that we can't get the same prices here minus the dollar exchange

and

Sorry Joe when the going gets tough....blame it on someone else..you were my escape goat....LOL

One huge difference that has not been mentioned is the difference between the experience of buying online, vs buying from a brick and mortar.

You know your reels and are comfortable buying a reel online. The average joe (and me) likes to go and touch and try something before they make a major purchase. Of course many people have no qualms about going to a retail location, taking up a salesmans time, trying out gear and then going to buy it online at the cheaper price. That is a pretty recent option that has opened up to people with the advent of the internet, but in the truest sense, people that do this are being "dishonest" (I use this term loosely because I am not totally comfortable saying that, but I believe it to be true. For example, you wouldn't walk right into the store during your fact finding phase and boldly state that you have no interntion of buying it there, would you? If no, then you are being dishonest)

The other major factor is that presumably the store is going to provide some service in order to earn the markup. For example, I don't have a store, but I sell and install CCTV systems. Last few years everyone wants to show me printouts of websites or Costco "cctv" systems and ask me to match the price. My standard answer is always the same: OK but when it breaks, you go up the ladder, take it off the wall, put it in a box and ship it to me (on your dime) and I will have it repaired and shipped back to you in 4-6 weeks. Sound good?

It is easy to undercut and sell things as cheap as possible when you never want to hear from the people again, and all you need is a few points on a product to pay for data entry clerks. It is much harder to provide real service and keep your customers happy by having knowledgeable staff and a retail location.

That is what you are paying for.

One huge difference that has not been mentioned is the difference between the experience of buying online, vs buying from a brick and mortar.

You know your reels and are comfortable buying a reel online. The average joe (and me) likes to go and touch and try something before they make a major purchase. Of course many people have no qualms about going to a retail location, taking up a salesmans time, trying out gear and then going to buy it online at the cheaper price. That is a pretty recent option that has opened up to people with the advent of the internet, but in the truest sense, people that do this are being "dishonest" (I use this term loosely because I am not totally comfortable saying that, but I believe it to be true. For example, you wouldn't walk right into the store during your fact finding phase and boldly state that you have no interntion of buying it there, would you? If no, then you are being dishonest)

The other major factor is that presumably the store is going to provide some service in order to earn the markup. For example, I don't have a store, but I sell and install CCTV systems. Last few years everyone wants to show me printouts of websites or Costco "cctv" systems and ask me to match the price. My standard answer is always the same: OK but when it breaks, you go up the ladder, take it off the wall, put it in a box and ship it to me (on your dime) and I will have it repaired and shipped back to you in 4-6 weeks. Sound good?

It is easy to undercut and sell things as cheap as possible when you never want to hear from the people again, and all you need is a few points on a product to pay for data entry clerks. It is much harder to provide real service and keep your customers happy by having knowledgeable staff and a retail location.

That is what you are paying for.

in some cases your statement is true

however

when I want a new reel I have no problem going into a Canadian retailer and checking out the product that I want to buy, I tell them up front I am looking to see what product I want to buy and to check on the price of the product and that I will be buying form the lowest price I can find.....and I do, sometimes it's over the internet

I do the same thing when I buy a new car, I have never bought with out checking out 3 different dealers........

and funny thing I bought my complete cctv security system online and installed it myself and if I have a problem with a camera I remove it and send it back for repair and install my spare camera till it comes back.......love my cameras, I might go for a PTZ next

I totally agree with looking around and do not think the "Big Box" stores will always give you the best price.

I was in the market for a new Okuma level wind counter and BPS wanted $84.99.

A little shop in the Muskoka sells the exact same reel with a full spool of 20lb line and 25 feet of flouro for $69.99!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of BPS, just ask my wife!! :lol:

P.S. if if anyone wants the know the name of the shop, feel free to PM me. (I just don't want to be called a spammer!)

P.S. if if anyone wants the know the name of the shop, feel free to PM me. (I just don't want to be called a spammer!)

With the exception of a few folks around here, there's never been a problem with sharing info on stores that give good service and prices.

it seems the retailers I talk to, many tell me in the US most retailers buy right from the Manufacture, but up here almost product has a Canadian distributor, wanting a piece of the pie raising the price

Good point you are correct the more hands in the pie the greater the burden on price. Well in the mean time USPS is here to help you.

Art

You have to STATE clearly that you want it shipped USPS and not UPS. UPS always has brokerage fee's and import fee's. USPS does not. I have bought countless items on ebay and have been dinged a few times and every time it's UPS. Most times even with the fee's it still cheaper (but not by much)

Nice reel by the way!

Guest Johnny Bass

it seems the retailers I talk to, many tell me in the US most retailers buy right from the Manufacture, but up here almost product has a Canadian distributor, wanting a piece of the pie raising the price

That's capitalism for you. So many hands getting a slice of the pie and by the time it reaches your hands, the price is outrageous. In the end your paying $50 for a $5 item....That's why middle men love capitalism. Money for nothing and your chicks for free(well not free.lol)...

Plus the US companies buy bulk and are rewarded for their large investments. If we(Canada) had one major company buying directly from the manufacturer and distributing to ALL the stores, the local baitshop store would be able to compete with the big stores, though there would be no incentive for big companies to buy bulk, but that's they way it should be.I guarantee cheaper prices, more sales, more production and more jobs.

Edited by Johnny Bass

You have to STATE clearly that you want it shipped USPS and not UPS. UPS always has brokerage fee's and import fee's. USPS does not. I have bought countless items on ebay and have been dinged a few times and every time it's UPS. Most times even with the fee's it still cheaper (but not by much)

Nice reel by the way!

I always get them to send it USPS or I just don't buy

however I have had some who sent it and UPS after I made sure they would send it USPS and when I contact them they tell me well I thought I would speed up delivery and send it UPS but don't worry I didn't charge the extra........and it cost me 100 bucks more when you pay the rip off prices of UPS and their license to steal for Canadians

Which is exactly why I will not buy anything that I cannot put in my hand before purchasing. Call me old fashioned, but for me topart with any dough, I gotta feel the product in my hand and that goes for virtually everything.

E-commerce would go under in no time if it was up to me!

HH

Which is exactly why I will not buy anything that I cannot put in my hand before purchasing. Call me old fashioned, but for me to part with any dough, I gotta feel the product in my hand and that goes for virtually everything.

E-commerce would go under in no time if it was up to me!

HH

I feel them first, then I have faith that the one I buy on-line is the same ..so far things have been as advertised

count me in as another one who must actually handle the reel I actually buy. so that means online retailers are out.

its also easier if you do have a problem to return it.

I ordered a team daiwa tierra spinning reel from cabelas that was out of balance right out of the box (had a distinctive wobble to it which it wasn't supposed to have).

Cabela's customer service is very good, so it was no problem, but still, it finished me from buying another reel without playing with it first.

the replacement was fine though.

buying from the US is good and all with their "lower" prices.... until you get them to Canada which will then be charged with customs and taxes. It's still cheaper than buying in Canada, but for some items (including a reel that I bought a couple of months ago) the difference in price is so little, that it may not be worth the waiting and return if there's anything wrong.

well I saved about 1 third the cost of the reel in canada with all taxes and shipping there was no duty... that is no small change,,,,it's like 80 bucks

and I have sent reels , cameras and others back to the US for repair and I find it just about as fast as buying them here and getting them repaired here.....

I wish the over all cost was about the same, I would love to buy in canada, but in my world I save a great deal of money buying from our friends to the south

any my buck stops here

look how everyone started buying vehicles from the US..so they lowered the price here..

and I started buying form the US almost 30 years ago when I started fishing bass tourneys..many lures, rods and reels could not be bought in Ontario and if they were here they were double the price ........prices have got closer on many products, but they need to get the same - + the exchange rate............

I hope that soon all retailers/distributors will catch on and revise their pricing

Edited by Terry®