Musky Guy's

hoops12

Thanks so much for everyone's advise. I ended up using a black muskey killer inline spinner and man it worked. I landed 6 skies over the weekend, the biggest measuring 45 Inches. Not sure how to post a pic, but will when i find out.

Thanks again

Hey Guy's

Heading to Lower Buckhorn this weekend and want to try my luck at musky fishing. The only thing is i don't have a lot of musky related tackle. So the question is...if you could recommend one, go to Musky bait, what would it be?

Thanks for your help

Hoops12

Edited by hoops12

If I was limited to only one bait for muskies I'd make it a very large black spinnerbait with orange blades.

You can fish it fast or slow, deep or shallow and it works equally well going over rocks, sand or thru thick weeds.

It's also VERY productive being trolled or casted.

:Gonefishing:

Yes, you don't need many baits.

Without sounding like a stick in the mud, You should get yourself a proper net and release tools for muskie prior to going out. If you don't have a heavy enough rod, reel, line and leader, there's good chance you'll be killing your first muskie. I know that this sounds really negative to someone who's starting out and I certainly don't want to be discouraging you but it is something to at least consider.

Good luck to you and give us a report of how you make out.

Without sounding like a stick in the mud, You should get yourself a proper net and release tools for muskie prior to going out. If you don't have a heavy enough rod, reel, line and leader, there's good chance you'll be killing your first muskie. I know that this sounds really negative to someone who's starting out and I certainly don't want to be discouraging you but it is something to at least consider.

Good point, Roy. Once he is set-up properly. In-line bucktail spinner black with either red/orange or chartreuse would be my choice if I could only have one bait. You can cast it or troll.

Mepps Musky Killer in Gold blade with Black buck. Every Canadian tire in Ontario carries them. For trolling I'd say an Orange rapala J-13 also at Canadian tire.

Jedi, they have those Mepps Musky Killers @ Fishing Fanatics for 9.99 versus the 14.99-17.99 that Canadian Tires have them for. I bought a pair of them, but don't get up to Musky water very often.

Im going against the grain and would use a 10 inch Jake, which will cover more of the water column then some of the other mentioned lures, they are great twitch baits casted and can be trolled at high speeds to at least 7mph or less depth range from surface to 18ft with wire or 10 to 15 with braid and floro or hard mono, cant go wrong with perch or walleye colors.

Dang Roy how did you beat Dax???

A big dumb suspending jerkbait...look around there are lots of lures that fit this modus operandi. You can still cover a lot of water with long casts AND you are targeting active and inactive fish. Deadly!

I can't stress enough though...bolt cutters, bolt cutters, bolt cutters...and lots of spare hooks. I've seen way too many fish that look like a grenade went off in their mouth.

Good luck