August Week on Lake Temagami

Fang

Well it's been almost a week since pulling back in the driveway from a vacation on the lake. It's an annual trek for my family as many of the OFC crowd may know part of my wifes family have been running a fishing/hunting lodge for over 40 years. The lodge is 3rd generation of the family and is in the hands of my neice and nephew who are the same age as my wife and I. For the last 28 years I've been able to be that imposing relative who visits in the summer to fish and swim and then leaves. To be honest they work so hard all summer with guests 24/7 they look forward to relatives to visit and help out. Our week is usually filled with wonderful manual labor tasks like hauling firewood, repairing docks, doing garbage runs, guiding, cleaning fish for guests,...

It's tough work but I love every minute of it.

This year was very different for us. The brand new cottage that we started the footings on last October moose hunt was ready to go and was not booked the week we came up. The no vacancy sign was hung and we were the third family to be in it. Still had that new cottage smell! Didn't take me long to unwind after the long drive up on Saturday. A quick hottub and off to the Duck Unlimited dinner in town

North1.jpg

On Sunday we woke to high winds and 3 footers crashing into the bay. I wish I had more of a fishing report but we only had a few hours of calm water to enjoy. When it wasn't windy, it was pouring rain. Overnight my boat sunk almost 4 inches. Took almost 30 minutes to bilge it out. Time to buy an auto bilge. My son making the best of the rainy weather

DSCF9004.jpg

When the weather did break we caught a few fish

28.5 Laker that hit a small 4" anchovy

DSCF9034.jpg

Yes there are fish in Temagami. We saw this every deep water ledge we trolled for lakers. It was awesome the marks were nonstop. With the cold front weather though the bite was off. Was able to pull up a few small ones too. Sutton 44's have been the go to lure for them this year. I got mine on the small anchovy rigs behind a 3ft cowbell and a couple on dreamweaver spoons - chartruese and silvers.

North12.jpg

Took some time and did a litlle BBQ'ing - Elk and Striploins

North11.jpg

Hiking at the old copper mine on Temgami island yeilded some neat rocks for the rock garden

North26.jpg

Lots of guitar playing around the campfire at night. Thought we had a video of all us us singing Daughtry's version of Poker Face but maybe we deleted it

DSCF9016.jpg

View from the deck/hottub

North6.jpg

and one for Wayne. Sorry Wayne saw your plane when we were in town but were under the gun to get to the DU dinner and no time to stop in and say Hi. I would have brought beer with me just so you know.

North18.jpg

8 more weeks till moose hunting!

Great report Fang!

We were fortunate enough to spend the first 2 weeks of July there this year, our 8th season in cottage #1, on the other side of the island.

R&P have a beautiful spot there.

I notice the water temps have come down a bit since we were there. We were lucky enough to be there during the heat wave.

Didn't get a chance to fish too much, as this was our family holiday, but we did get to spend a lot of time on and in the water.

Can't wait 'til next year!

Hey TSM

I'm normally camped out in the bunkhouse on his dock the last 2 weeks in July. Maybe next year we'll be able to hook up on the Saturday for some fishing or a campfire at least on Saturday night.

good report

I love that lake, I just don't know how to fish it yet

when I see fish like this

North12.jpg

I hope I have my underwater camera with me .so I can drop it down and see just what it is for sure

Edited by Terry