winds from the east,fish bite least

mercman

No doubt they can't differentiate wind direction.

However pressure changes will affect them negatively.

Nothing is etched in stone but in many cases an eastery wind means the onset of a weather system and a falling barometer.

Edited by solopaddler

Guest gbfisher

West,east,north,south,rain,sun,Heavey wind,no wind.You won't know if you don't go.

Lets just say I don't turn down a day of fishing anymore.. :)

25_5grwaly.jpg

25.5" Walleye caught in a brisk 20km/h East wind on the Grand river in Kitchener with a #4 inline spinner worked at good speed. So my answer is no, fish will eat in any wind.

River systems are much less likely to be affected.

Shield lakes can be murder though, I've seen it too many times.

That said I'll still fish as well. Even in the toughest of conditions you can still scratch out a few if you adapt.

The only thing that stops me cold is generally gale force winds.

Personal experience has taught me to watch the pressure, wind direction and shoreline...an east wind against the right shore line with the right pressure can produce some real trophy fish.

The last 2 weekends with the winds blowing from the east, the bite has been on fire!! Lots of fish and multiple species days. Nothing really big but a good 2 pound average for the bass. Scattered with muskie, crappie and walleye. Now that I think a bit more about it, I've fished a lot of east wind days this year and done well. I do hate a north or northwest wind though.dry.gif

Edited by fishnsled

No doubt they can't differentiate wind direction.

However pressure changes will affect them negatively.

Nothing is etched in stone but in many cases an eastery wind means the onset of a weather system and a falling barometer.

What he said.

Though i think wind direction can sometimes dictate WHERE they're feeding (ie....where the wind and waves are pushing bait)

Guest natron

On my home body of water (Rainy River) the wind definitely effects the bite. I've noticed over the years, the smallmouth are far more active with west or southwest winds.

But the wind effects alot on the river, pushing the baitfish into shallows and bays, changing the water color from good visibility to chocolate milk etc, and all these factor in how the fish feed, just like the time of the day and the current/water levels effect how the fish feed.

Keep in mind, this is mainly for smallmouth and walleye, the winds dont seem to effect how the sturgeon bite, at least here.

With south/southwest winds I've also noticed the walleye move from 15-25ft to about 5-10ft, but again, I assume that because the baitfish are collecting around the shores.

Bottom line though, there is so many varying factors, so while I think there is some truth to this, its def. not set in stone, and changes greatly depending on various factors

Guest natron

Remember...there is always fish feeding during the day...we just have to find them.

As true as that is, fish are not always biting.

I'd say, at least for me, timing is more important than searching. But then again, I al;ready have alot of market spots where I know there are fish, so, just another thing to consider

Based on my recent outings:

Winds from the east - fish bite least

Winds from the west - my patience it will test

Winds from the south - fish please open your mouth

Winds from the north - why do I even go forth?

So I don't think it is necessarily the wind although I do seem to do best when it is flat calm... :)