renting a satellite phone

scuro2

Looks great at $80 for the week...but than you have to use 20 minutes at $2.99 per minute for an extra $60 bucks.

What, you expect to get it free? :dunno:

:)

On the plus side all incoming calls are free although they're charged as an international call to the person who dialed.

If it's only one midweek call anyway who cares?

This sounds like something I would be interested in getting for our moose hunt...no cell coverage withing 2 hours...

3 of the 6 guys are 65 + years of age...one has had two double bypasses and is 74, the other two are ladden with cancer and one has a bag to pee in...would be certainly useful in case something was to happen.

Thanks for the link, solo.

Radioworld - $100.00 per week, $25.00 for each subsequent weeks.

All calls made to Canada, USA and the Caribbean are local calls and are included in the rental fees, all other calls are long distance.

Data Cables are available for $5.00 per week

Link

That's a better price but the problem is it's a Globalstar phone.

It does work in Canada but the service is very, very sketchy.

Eddie has one at his camp on the Attawapiskat and it was great to have...but incredibly frustrating to use.

Iridium is waaaaaay better.

This sounds like something I would be interested in getting for our moose hunt...no cell coverage withing 2 hours...

3 of the 6 guys are 65 + years of age...one has had two double bypasses and is 74, the other two are ladden with cancer and one has a bag to pee in...would be certainly useful in case something was to happen.

Thanks for the link, solo.

Sounds like you need your own personalized RN for the hunt instead of a phone. :whistling: Edited by scuro2

That's a better price but the problem is it's a Globalstar phone.

It does work in Canada but the service is very, very sketchy.

Eddie has one at his camp on the Attawapiskat and it was great to have...but incredibly frustrating to use.

Iridium is waaaaaay better.

From what I heard all satellite phones have black out periods what is the difference between these two types of phones?

We have a globalstar ,it works well if you know the call times to use it.You can go to the globalstar homepage and print off the best call times for the week you need it,but it was horrible at the camp because we never had internet service to check the site for the best call times.Globalstar is suppose to be improving there system this fall,problem is if they do the prices are going to skyrocket,We now have explornet with free unlimited phone service and wireless internet for our customers,it works great and the added internet service is awsome,

Cheers Everyone,

Eddie

We have a globalstar ,it works well if you know the call times to use it.You can go to the globalstar homepage and print off the best call times for the week you need it,but it was horrible at the camp because we never had internet service to check the site for the best call times.Globalstar is suppose to be improving there system this fall,problem is if they do the prices are going to skyrocket,We now have explornet with free unlimited phone service and wireless internet for our customers,it works great and the added internet service is awsome,

Cheers Everyone,

Eddie

Eddie is a lurker! :w00t:

That's great info, good to hear!

Having just returned from the north and using a Globestar, let me tell you it was one royal pain in the ass waiting for the short service windows. Irridum is the way to go. They work much better in the north.

Definately!!!!

GlobalStar dropped the ball big time several years ago when their satellites started dying and they put their spares into service but did not replace them.

At one point they were down to just 3 of the 8 original birds still operating. :wallbash::wallbash:

We dropped GlobalStar several years ago when the problem was only a year or so old.

We switched to satellie internet and Vonage at the lodge and the service is excellent.

I see it still isn't fixed. :rolleyes:

The Iridium I borrow from work is perfect.

• 4 years later...

Hate to have to revive this old thread but i'm in need of a satelite phone. We are heading out to the end of the James Bay Road in a couple of weeks for a nice long drive and camp. I'd like to rent a satelite phone and i'm wondering if anyone can add any more ideas to this thread? I tried helloanywhere and they appear to be out of business. I will be getting the Irridium but would like to find a place in the GTA to just go and pick one up. If all else fails I will go with that one from Roadpost. Thanks

Temagami Outfitters use to rent them... if you happen to be driving North via #11 you could pick it up and drop it back off.

Haven't been into town this year, so can only assume they're open. 705-569-2595 I see they have a new website, so suspect they're in business this year. Closed on Mondays.

http://www.icanoe.ca

I used the iridium satellite phone, when I was fishing in remote Quebec. I ordered it through CanadaSatelite.ca, I think there out of Calgary but ship it right to your door. I watched a you tube video on the phone, I never had one problem making a phone call when I wanted to make a phone call, but it probably ended up costing me $150.00 for the week, I bought minutes through them at a lower rate and I believe I got there insurance aswell. But incoming calls are free, so what I would do is get back to camp turn on the phone, call the wife and tell her to call me right back and only used one minute of airtime. Our phone at our home has unlimited calling in NorthAmerica so it was no big deal to us, but from what I understood is that if you don't you are billed as though it was an international call to Arizona or somewhere in the states. I have used them twice and never had a problem. PS incoming texts are free too.