Pig Roast

DanD

With the few different threads that have been posted about smokers & BBQ’s I thought I’d show you mine.

It’s made out of an old oil tank, a ½ horse electric motor, a gear reduction box and too keep things in tune with fishing & boating; the spit rod is made from a stainless steel prop shaft from an inboard boat.

Redneck all the way. LOL

Last weekend's pork dressed out at 120lbs when we picked it up at the abattoir and there was still room on the spit to hang a larger pig.

It went on the heat around 7;30am and it came off at about 5pm; I went through approx ½ a face cord of apple wood for the coals and smoke; plus 50lbs of lump coal to keep the heat stable.

Let it sit on a cooling table for an hour or so and it was belly up to the table for approx. 70 of our guests. All I could see were people smiling, nodding and them licking their fingers. If you ever get a chance to go too a pig roast, don’t pass it up; you’ll never taste better pork then one done whole on a slow cooking wood fueled spit.

Couldn’t keep up cutting the meat and crackling for them and there was three of us carving.

These are the only pic’s I have so far; got them from my son’s phone; I was to busy cooking to take any. Yea that’s me in the red shirt.

Dan.

GetAttachment8.jpg

GetAttachment9.jpg

GetAttachment10.jpg

GetAttachment12.jpg

GetAttachment14.jpg

GetAttachment16.jpg

Wanted to comment-- If there is anyone in the Quinte area that is looking for a Pig Roast/ catered or a party that you want great BBQ food--- I would highly recommend calling PIGOUT

www.pigout.ca/quinte ---- 613- 885-7181

The gentleman name is John and he is really really good.

This last friday night John made my group of people ( 70 in total ) prime rib -- with all the fixings- it was very well priced and John was a great company.

John can also cook turkey, and whole PIGS. all done by Rotisserie--- very yummy --

Give John a call and he will make your next outing a Blast

mmmmmmm it doesnt get any better than that! looks like ya got a real nice set up. do you do catering for weddings and such, a few guys around here make some pretty good $$ on the weekends cooking.

jason

mmmmmmm it doesnt get any better than that! looks like ya got a real nice set up. do you do catering for weddings and such, a few guys around here make some pretty good $$ on the weekends cooking.

jason

No I just do it for fun; I hold one most every summer for family & friends. Everybody pitches in with the work and we make it a get together or maybe better said an excuse for all of us to see each other. Why we need one not sure but this one works.

Dan.

That looks great! Is that the "RED/GREEN" Signature Series model?

Just a question, how long does it take to get rid of the old oil smell and such from the tank?

ONE BIG :asshat: FIRE!

After we split the drum in two; we had the thing glowing.

Uncle Red was the inspiration. LOL

Dan

Awesome smoker . You are the king of smoke.

Not sure about the king of smoke but maybe the king of soot.

I ran into the “Big House” (the trailer park’s washrooms) to take a shower; while the pig was on the cooling table.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much black water running off of me in my life. LOL

Sorry no pictures. :whistling:

Dan.