Baitcasting suggestion

cynmar

Okay , the Daiwa finally bit the dust, after years of loyal service and some serious abuse. (Dropped in the water at least twice but serviced every year.) I am looking for a new low profile baitcasting reel. I like Daiwa, and my Abu Garcia level wind. I am an average fisherman and only get out maybe 4 or five times to fish a summer. Work too much. Anybody have any suggestions. Not spending 3-400 dollars on it either.

Bill

Pretty hard to beat a 200 series Shimano Curado for all around fishing, either a new one or a gently used one off of ebay. You can buy the old models used for less than 100 bucks, and a decent reel. Citica`s aren`t bad either.

Abu`s all seem to be made in Korea now? Not sure of the newer models history of problems.

I have a quantum energy. I love using that reel. So smooth and great casting. I'd suggest it to anyone.

Me too. I got mine on a factory rebate deal for $100 net. I really like the external brake adjuster. Garry tells me though that if you go to a lesser model the external brake doesn't have as many stops.

JF

Thanks guys. Is Shimano really that good above all the rest? All the responses seem to be pretty well in favour of Shimano models of one level or the other. I'll admit that I am not a professional and don't spend all the time on research however, they didn't seem all that far above other models in the bearings used etc.

Bill

Shimano has a long history of building quality reels and of providing good service. They constantly win I-cast best in class awards for their reel innovations. The fact that they have their Canadian office in Peterborough might be more important to me than to others, but do any of the other big brands even have Canadian offices?

A guy who fishes 5 times a year might not need a top of the line reel, however he probably wants something that will last a long time and can be repaired if necessary.

I believe that the Curado gives an angler a lot for the money and others must agree. I read once that it was the #1 choice of weekend bass tournament guys. At about $200.00 it's not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but it has all the good stuff and is easy to use.

I have a collection of broken reels that there are no parts for, or service on them requires more than they're worth, in international postage...none of them are Shimano.

Edited by garry2rs

Shimano has a long history of building quality reels and of providing good service. They constantly win I-cast best in class awards for their reel innovations. The fact that they have their Canadian office in Peterborough might be more important to me than to others, but do any of the other big brands even have Canadian offices?

A guy who fishes 5 times a year might not need a top of the line reel, however he probably wants something that will last a long time and can be repaired if necessary.

I believe that the Curado gives an angler a lot for the money and others must agree. I read once that it was the #1 choice of weekend bass tournament guys. At about $200.00 it's not the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but it has all the good stuff and is easy to use.

I have a collection of broken reels that there are no parts for, or service on them requires more than they're worth, in international postage...none of them are Shimano.

I got a great deal on a gently used Shimano Chronarch two years ago off E Bay for $100.00.

Sent it to Shimano through John @ Tightlines. Had it back in a short time all cleaned up oiled and a

new nut on the handle that I had lost.

Can't beat that!

You'd be hard pressed to be unhappy with any Shimano reel at any price. They're not immune to defects, although rare. They don't beg for regular maintenance but certainly benefit from it. In short, just a good lineup with quality components and are well manufactured. You might find other good values out there but I'm not willing to risk a couple hundred to find out. They've earned my loyalty.

Thanks Guys that sold me. I prefer to buy from someone who is commited to Canadian employment. I was simply looking at the # of ball bearings and the retrieve ratios. I think Daiwa and Abu may be ahead in this but the committment to quality will sell me every day. I am going to look at the Shimano web site now. I didn't think their mid range prices were way out of line.

Bill

I am going to look at the Shimano web site now. I didn't think their mid range prices were way out of line.

A Citica might be perfect for you. Using it five times a year, it's hard to justify big money. I still have and use a first generation Citica my wife bought for me some 15 years ago paired with a Compre rod of similer vintage. It's not the first combo I pick up when I'm out casting but it's always rigged and sees action.