Looking into Buying a Ford Ranger V6

Hey Folks,

Well, I'm begrudgingly looking at handing over the keys to the company Escalade and buying a 2000 Ford Ranger with a V6 and 140000K on it. Also, in the near future I'm looking to buy a trailer and a mid-sized Bass boat. I'm wondering if anyone has experience (first or second hand) with towing boats with a Ford Ranger. It is a small-mid sized pickup and I'm wondering just how well it will get the job done.

The (Average) Tow: will be 1-2 hours round trip to local lakes to fish for Bass or Pike.

The (Unusual) Trip: Will be a trip to G-Bay, Lake Erie, or the Kawarthas for some "serious" fishing.

The Prospective Boat: I'm guessing I'll be in the market for a bass boat in the 18ft range with a 50-75 HP motor.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated (such as is 4X4 a must?)

Cheers and Thanks in Advance,

Ryan

from there web site

It’s tow time. With a standard Class III hitch receiver* on your properly equipped Ranger, you’re ready to pull a utility trailer, a bass boat, or any load up to 2,620 kg (5,780 lbs.) See your Ford of Canada Dealer for a copy of the Trailer Towing Guide.

Rangers come with a few different v6's

My last truck had a 4.0 the one I drive now has a 3.0

Fuel efficiency is no better.

If I were towing something over 2000 lbs I would go for the 4.0 no, just get the 4.0 no matter what.

Good trucks. Just not very roomy.

my customers and friends experiences with rangers - okay with smaller, lighter loads. a 20 foot i/o coming home from PA last summer just about killed a 4l ranger. just about 4500lbs. however 2-3000 lbs loads seem just fine. beleive if you want a 4x4 you have to get the 4l. a 4l ranger gets about the same mileage as a full size with a V8. 2wd trucks do just fine if you invest in some serious tires. (for towing and most ramps).

cool little trucks and an excellent value if you ask me.(which you did)

If you want to go V6, my last 2 vehicles, full size 88 Chev PU and 97 GMC Astro both have had the 4.3L. Vortec engine in them. I tow an 18 Aluminum with a V4, probably pushing 2200 lbs. with gear and a 4X8 landscape trailer with a 3500 lb axle and a yard of top soil or whatever in it. Both have preformed admirally with out any engine or drive train problems. I'd be inclined to consider a S10 style of GM small pickup with that engine , pretty sure they were available in 2000 if you are going that old.

Thanks for the help guys . . . I have a specific Ranger I am looking to buy, so I'm not really looking into other models at the moment. Any towing I will eventually be doing will be probably around a 1800-2200lb load, so it seems perfectly suitable (and good for everyday use as well).

Thanks for the help guys . . . I have a specific Ranger I am looking to buy, so I'm not really looking into other models at the moment. Any towing I will eventually be doing will be probably around a 1800-2200lb load, so it seems perfectly suitable (and good for everyday use as well).

I've had several Rangers, including a 2000 with the 4L auto. They're great trucks, no issues, very reliable and comfortable. As others have noted, there's basically zero difference in fuel economy between the 3L and 4L engines, though the 4L has a little more grunt at passing speeds on the highway.

Any 3L or 4L Ranger with an automatic transmission will easily handle a boat in the 1,800 - 2,200 lb range. Get much over 3,500 pounds and it's time to look at a full-size truck.

You didn't mention whether the Ranger you're looking at is 4x4 or 2WD. In either case, you'll find the back end to be very lightweight compared to the Caddy, especially when you drive solo. Spend the money for good tires, particularly if it's a 2WD truck and you plan to use 'unimproved' launch ramps. The factory-spec all-season radials are compromise tires, meaning they don't do anything particularly well.

I've had several Rangers, including a 2000 with the 4L auto. They're great trucks, no issues, very reliable and comfortable. As others have noted, there's basically zero difference in fuel economy between the 3L and 4L engines, though the 4L has a little more grunt at passing speeds on the highway.

Any 3L or 4L Ranger with an automatic transmission will easily handle a boat in the 1,800 - 2,200 lb range. Get much over 3,500 pounds and it's time to look at a full-size truck.

You didn't mention whether the Ranger you're looking at is 4x4 or 2WD. In either case, you'll find the back end to be very lightweight compared to the Caddy, especially when you drive solo. Spend the money for good tires, particularly if it's a 2WD truck and you plan to use 'unimproved' launch ramps. The factory-spec all-season radials are compromise tires, meaning they don't do anything particularly well.

Well Craig, that's a glowing endorsement and you're not the only one I've heard that from! It is a 2WD Automatic so I will buy good tires along with it for sure. How do you find the rangers drive on an everyday basis and generally what does it cost you to fill the tank and what kind of kilometres do you get out of it?

Ryan

my 07 ranger 4x4 auto 4.0l sport has a 60 l tank , and i get like 470-500 km on a tank a fuel on a good trip , less in cold weather , i find the truck useless in 2 wheel drive in any kind of snow , it also has a leer fibreglass cap on it

i've towed a 16' lund rebel with a 40 on it without problem cant even tell its there

Well Craig, that's a glowing endorsement and you're not the only one I've heard that from! It is a 2WD Automatic so I will buy good tires along with it for sure. How do you find the rangers drive on an everyday basis and generally what does it cost you to fill the tank and what kind of kilometres do you get out of it?

Ryan

Fuel economy was pretty good, really. The Rangers I've had were all 4x4 Supercabs .... figure about $65 to $70 to fill it, and that taking you about 450 km in the city, and about 525 km on the highway. I could easily drive from Toronto to Ottawa on three-quarters of a tank. That's not exactly Toyota Prius territory, but considering the amount of crap a Ranger can haul and tow, that's not too bad.

Maintenance is a non-issue. Do the regular oil changes, and there's nothing more to it. The only repair I've ever done on a Ranger since getting my first one in 1989 was to replace a power steering pump (about $100). The only other service costs were things like brake pads, wiper blades and other stuff you expect to wear out after a while. Parts are cheap and widely available, even in small towns out in the middle of nowhere.

I've always found the Rangers drove quite well. Ride is a little stiff, but I like that. As mentioned, the rear end is lighter than an SUV or a car, and those standard all-season radials will spin a bit in rain or snow, especially if you stomp the gas. Good highway tires in summer, and good winter tires (Hankooks) from Oct to April, will make a HUGE difference there. The ride isn't as plush as an Escalade, of course, but Rangers are surprisingly comfortable on long trips. At various times I've driven Rangers from Toronto to Nova Scotia, to Florida, and to BC. The only real issue was always making sure to bring along enough CDs. That, and making sure I had the appropriate fishing license.

I've towed bass boats with the Ranger ... no real problem, but it wouldn't be my first choice of vehicle if I did that on a regular basis. Aluminum fishing boats in the 16 - 17 foot range are no problem whatsoever. You don't even know they're behind you.

I've been driving an 07 Ranger for a while now and the only problem I've had with it is you can't bring to many friends with you. It tows my boat no problems and I've been able to launch in some pretty crazy places with out an issue, mind you its a 4x4.

The Prospective Boat:[/b][/u] I'm guessing I'll be in the market for a bass boat in the 18ft range with a 50-75 HP motor.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated (such as is 4X4 a must?)

Congrats on the impending purchases. Always a fun time boat and truck shopping.

1) I have no comment on the Ford Ranger - never been in one and don't know anyone that has one.

2) An 18' bass boat - even the aluminum variety - will be greatly underpowered at 75 HP. Most 18' boats are paired with a 135 at least. A 16'er you can get away with a 75-90. A 17'er a 90-115. I'm not talking about just for maximum speed, I'm talking about overall usability. If you have a lot of gear and wet carpets and an extra passenger, you may not get on plane in a timely or safe fashion. When climbing/quartering waves in the rough stuff, you want that punch if you need it. I also think for overall enjoyment you'd find it better with a properly powered rig.

I've pnly "needed" 4x4 about 5 times ever in a lot of overall trips to some not so great ramps, had I not had it, I'm sure I still woulda eventually figured something out (such as getting towed out by a friend), but it was sure nice to have when I needed it and I've seen some serious follies at the ramp from people without it. I've never considered a truck without it because of some of what I have seen.

Good luck,

Charles

My 2 cents, I had a 1994 Mazda B4000 5-speed. 378K on it, only got rid of it because I don't do body work. Pulled like no-body's business. Fuel economy was very good... Darn, now I want to go pick up another one... I will agree with others, get some good rubber for it.

Ryan, seriously, I owned a Ranger 2wd and used it to tow a 15 ft starcraft with a 55 hp. On the hwy it was underpowered. It's just not the boat but all the other stuff you will take with you.

Make sure it has a 4 ltr engine or you will not be happy.

I upgraded to an Explorer just for this reason.

I also found even with the best tires I could buy that on wet or sandy ramps I found a lot of tire spin. I did dig holes on a dirt ramp.

I would say take some more time and find a deal on a full size 4x4. Even if it is a bit older.

Good luck.

Ryan, seriously, I owned a Ranger 2wd and used it to tow a 15 ft starcraft with a 55 hp. On the hwy it was underpowered. It's just not the boat but all the other stuff you will take with you.

Make sure it has a 4 ltr engine or you will not be happy.

I upgraded to an Explorer just for this reason.

I also found even with the best tires I could buy that on wet or sandy ramps I found a lot of tire spin. I did dig holes on a dirt ramp.

I would say take some more time and find a deal on a full size 4x4. Even if it is a bit older.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help Dave.

It does have a 4L engine, and to be honest, a big bass boat might be out of my range at the moment. I might end up with something like the rig you mentioned - 14-16ft Smokecraft with 55-65HP. What kind of problems did you run into? Will the 4L help get rid of those problems?

Ryan

Like most pickups, Rangers have always come with a choice of different engines, transmissions, wheelbases and differentials. All of these affect towing performance.

In 2000, 2WD Rangers came standard with a 2.5L four cylinder engine, making 119 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 146 foot-pounds of torque at 3,000 rpm. Since the base model truck weighs 3,068 pounds, it will probably feel a bit underpowered with the four-banger.

A 3L V6, standard on 4x4 Rangers in 2000, makes 150 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 190 foot-pounds of torque at 3,650 rpm – decent grunt for its day. The optional 4L V6 churned out 160 horsepower at 4,200 rpm and 225 foot-pounds of torque at 2,750 rpm. Not much more power, but you access it at 1,000 rpm less. That means a lot when towing a boat. The 3L is good, the 4L is much better.

As for transmissions, the standard in 2000 was a 5-speed manual, rated to tow less than 2,000 pounds regardless of which engine it was bolted to. The optional 5-speed automatic on the V6’s gives you almost the same fuel economy as the stick, but brings the towing capacity up to a maximum of 5,320 pounds with the 4L and either the 3.73 (most likely in Supercab or 4x4 models) or 4.10 (optional) rear end. Most 3L Rangers, and some 4L models, came with a 3.55 rear end, and I believe regular cab 4 cylinder models had as low as a 3.08. In a nutshell, the higher the ratio, the more low-end grunt, because the higher gears bring the engine’s power band to you at a lower rpm. That can also mean the difference between pulling a boat out smoothly at the ramp, or sitting there and spinning the tires. Some Rangers came with posi (Traction Lock) rear-ends, but most did not.

Bottom line – most V6 Rangers will tow aluminium boats up to 16 or 17 feet without any trouble. I have towed bass boats with a Ranger, but I don't recommend it. Your actual experience will depend on what kind of equipment is in the truck. Good rubber makes a difference in traction, and if you’re really worried about problems at the ramp, I suppose you could talk to a mechaznic about swapping out the rear end for a 4:10 posi unit. You might be able to do that for a couple hundred bucks, plus labour. Fuel economy in everyday driving won’t be as good, but you’ll never get stuck.

Ryan, I found at hwy speed if going up a larger hill you really had to pin it to keep your speed up. I found it very dangerous on the 400 series hwys when I could not keep up to speed.

Also when attempting to pass another car it was a challenge.

My biggest fear was doing emergency stops. The boat just pushed the truck along.

Remember, add all the weight for gas in the truck, gas in the boat, all your stuff plus passenger weight. It adds up.

I loved my Ranger when I had a smaller boat but when I stepped up in boat size, it was not safe for me and my wife.

Again, take sometime to check out bigger trucks.

Regards

I bought a used 2001 3.0 V6 5 speed Ford Ranger Edge as my tow vehicle. It tows a 16 ft with a 50 horse and lots of gear with ease and the truck is always in control of the boat. The brakes are quite good and no problem with quick stops. Get good tires. If you plan to drive it in winter pick up some Hankook iPikes or similar and the rear wheel drive will be fine in winter. Generally it's a worry free, low maintenance tough little truck.

Edited by carponthefly

Like most pickups, Rangers have always come with a choice of different engines, transmissions, wheelbases and differentials. All of these affect towing performance.

In 2000, 2WD Rangers came standard with a 2.5L four cylinder engine, making 119 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 146 foot-pounds of torque at 3,000 rpm. Since the base model truck weighs 3,068 pounds, it will probably feel a bit underpowered with the four-banger.

A 3L V6, standard on 4x4 Rangers in 2000, makes 150 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 190 foot-pounds of torque at 3,650 rpm – decent grunt for its day. The optional 4L V6 churned out 160 horsepower at 4,200 rpm and 225 foot-pounds of torque at 2,750 rpm. Not much more power, but you access it at 1,000 rpm less. That means a lot when towing a boat. The 3L is good, the 4L is much better.

As for transmissions, the standard in 2000 was a 5-speed manual, rated to tow less than 2,000 pounds regardless of which engine it was bolted to. The optional 5-speed automatic on the V6’s gives you almost the same fuel economy as the stick, but brings the towing capacity up to a maximum of 5,320 pounds with the 4L and either the 3.73 (most likely in Supercab or 4x4 models) or 4.10 (optional) rear end. Most 3L Rangers, and some 4L models, came with a 3.55 rear end, and I believe regular cab 4 cylinder models had as low as a 3.08. In a nutshell, the higher the ratio, the more low-end grunt, because the higher gears bring the engine’s power band to you at a lower rpm. That can also mean the difference between pulling a boat out smoothly at the ramp, or sitting there and spinning the tires. Some Rangers came with posi (Traction Lock) rear-ends, but most did not.

Bottom line – most V6 Rangers will tow aluminium boats up to 16 or 17 feet without any trouble. I have towed bass boats with a Ranger, but I don't recommend it. Your actual experience will depend on what kind of equipment is in the truck. Good rubber makes a difference in traction, and if you’re really worried about problems at the ramp, I suppose you could talk to a mechaznic about swapping out the rear end for a 4:10 posi unit. You might be able to do that for a couple hundred bucks, plus labour. Fuel economy in everyday driving won’t be as good, but you’ll never get stuck.

Excellent point about the rear axle ratios, Craig. Years ago I had twofootitis and subscribed to a mag called " Trailer Boats " in addition to good boat test reports they would also test a tow vehicle or two. The fellow doing the tests always talked a lot and at great detail about the rear axle ratio along with the engine . Good looking and sounding tow vehicles can being severely hampered by " highway rear ends " . Reading posts on the board about towing, I've always thought about those articles as yours is the first I've seen this critical component of towability mentioned. :thumbsup_anim:

A 18 foot bass boat with a 50 - 75 hp motor would IMHO be under powered by quite a bit and would weigh more then the 1800 - 2200 lb range.

If you are really interested in a bass boat I would get a full size pick up truck.

Billy Bob makes a good point.

What little your going to save on gas, go full size pickup with a V8 , motor doesn't work as hard plus more room. Sounds like your trying to talk yourself into something that "may" work. Some day your going to a ramp were your going to gamble launching, should I or not. Plus, hope it doesn't happen, You have to stop on a dime pulling boat, gear with some bud's, "if I only had a heavier truck" :stretcher::wallbash:

Your only this way once, go in comfort, be safe,