Buying First Outboard Motor Tips

Blue_Axela

Hey everyone,

Great forum we have here. Been here since last summer surfing around, signed up this year and decide to post and say Hi to everyone. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking a used 9.9-15 HP outboard. What type of questions should I be asking? Any pointers would be great! :thumbsup_anim:

for sure what the others said ,and i would for sure want to hear it run,check the lower unit for damage and make sure that there is no water in the gearcase oil,as well as prop damage and if its been lubricated,its all pretty basic just check everything out......good luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

If you didn't already know, you need to know what size shaft that you need for your boat. A short shaft (15") or long shaft (20").

How do you know what shaft your boat needs...I may buy one this year too...but I may go brand new, not sure yet!

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a long shaft. You can determine the shaft length/type you need by measuring your transom.

fishindevil, how do you go abouts checking the lower gear for damage? And how do you check if there is water in the gearcase without having him drain all the fluid and fill it back up?

Not to be disrespectful at all, but if you don't know how a compression test is done I would recommend when you find one you are interested in take along a friend who knows a bit about outboards. It may save you some real headaches later.

A compression test is super easy. Buy a compression tester from Princess Auto or other similar store for about $20. Remove the spark plugs and turn the threaded end of the tester into the top cylinder where the plug was. Hit the pressure release botton on the tester to zero it. Pull the motor over 4-5 times. Read the tester. Repeat for the bottom cylinder. You want to see about 120psi, but no less than 100psi. More important than the results is the difference between them. You don't want more than 10% difference between the readings. If you take a tester with you the owner will be more likely to let you test it than if you ask to take it somewhere. Some folks just don't want to be bothered. Afterall, these are easy motors to sell.

Also, remove the cowl and take a look at the powerhead. Check for paint discolouration around the exhaust cover and head. Any discolouration is a sure sign that the motor has been run too hot at least once. This may have significantly reduced the serviceable life span of the motor.

Make sure you ask how to start it and if there is anything you should know about its operation, even if you already know. This can be more telling than the owners answers to your other questions.

Other than that, everyone else already told you what else you need to look for.

Any physical damage or wear

Lower unit oil condition and/or presence of water

Prop and skeg condition

Paint discolouration on the exhaust cover and head

Last time it ran and how well

The owners maintenance routine - how did he/she store it and when was the impeller last changed.

Good luck.

Check out the prices on the Mercury lodge returns that Port Colborne Marine sells after Mercury goes over them. Some real good buys to be had.

http://www.portcolbornemarine.com

Most motors have warranty left or you can purchase warranty. You may hear some folks say they were used by a lodge blah blah blah, but a few people I know including my son and some closer friends bought these motors and have been very happy with not only the money they saved but the way the motors have preformed.

Edited by Garyv

Just a tip for compression tests on a two stroke motor.Hold the throttle wide open while cranking it.Not sure what boat motors should be but as boatman said both cylinders should be close in compression.Good luck!

Joe

Good one, Glen.

Daplumma, is right about holding the throttle open, but that is for bigger engines. It doesn't apply to small outboards. Won't make a difference if you do it or not on a 9.9-15hp. Good tip, though, for your inevitable next boat.

Well , the last 2 outboards I've sold, a 15 and a 25 hp, I offered to take them out fishing and they could drive etc... needless to say they were both sold, cash in hand once we reached the dock at home. :D

So ask if you can take it out for a rip or a little fishing first, if the guy allows it than he believes the motor is in good shape and you will buy it, turn it of /on a few times, go full out, troll slow ect.. and just see how it's running.

To check the oil you just have to take the screw out for 1 second, you can tell by the color of the oil if water was in it, but even if there was usually a new O ring fixes the problem.

I am with Garyv .I bought a 50hp Merc 4 stroke from Port colburne Marine with an extended warranty and could not be happier.About the only thing wrong with it was it had a small scratch on the cowl.with the extra money I saved I bought a 4hp kicker and my sonar with gps.Dan

Lots of great and helpful replies here, I appreciate all the help.

Most sellers that I've talked to will run the motor in front of me. How long would you want to see the motor idle, in Forward and Reverse gear and in Forward slow troll? Is 30 seconds enough?

I find there is so many conflicting price ranges for small outboards. As one member mentioned here, the are easy selling items so even if some are overpriced, they will still get sold. It also depends on the condition and number of hours on the motor (how do you even check that?).

You want to see it start, run without problems, "pee" lots of water and idle in and out of gear. It would also be nice to see it perform underload, but that's a little hard right now.

You can only go by the overall appearance and condition. A compression test will give you an idea of how much life is in the motor.

Price is subjective. $400-800 is pretty common for an old 9.9hp.