crime stories. cops are to darn slow!

Including the silent 911s we get where every kid at wonderland and vaughan mills mall and every public place that has a pay phone and prank calls 911 which forces us to show up...????

Yeah I've sat with call takers and people call 911 for the stupidest stuff...plus all the "adults" in this world that can't get along with their neighbours...its rediculous. Out of the 30-40 calls that I'll do in a block (4 shifts) maybe 1 or less are an emergency...

Are there any stats on how much police service time is wasted with pranks and arguing with folks who choose defending their constitutional rights (whether they understand 'em or not) over simply cooperating with the police officers so the issue can be resolved? I'm not saying the police are always right but watching the G20 nonsense in Toronto I saw a lot of folks wasting the cops' time with their righteous indignation when in fact they should have stepped back and let the police deal with the real troublemakers, or better yet, not been there at all.

JF

what i cant believe is that people think things like vandalism and car breakins deserve priority from the police. i wonder how these people would react if they were in a REAL emergency, and the cops couldnt make it because they were chasing a kid with some spraypaint.

so who does respond to the vandalism and other Bull that goes on in our neighbourhoods if the cops are out arresting bad guys 24/7? you're telling me there is no one available in all these instances? i guess ill just commit petty crimes and acts of hooliganism unfettered......

Why is it 10% of the areas patrolled take up 50% of the forces time?If the neighborhood you live in is crappy then work harder and move to a better area.I hate the way people blame the 911 responders because they are not their instantly. You try getting to a place in less than 5 min when you are babysitting people that if they used a little common sense they would not need to overwhelm the 911 system. I will stop here but their is alot I am not saying since this is a family forum.

Art

its actually more like 90%. some of these 'people' your are mouthing off live in half million dollar homes and work pretty hard. its not the responders its the systems that tie up resources for hours processing domestics, impaireds, etc. fire truck about 4 mins, ambulance 10 mins, police cant give you a time. the fire truck always comes, the ambulance gets there eventually depending on call volumes and drop off times - its weird to think you could call the police and they just dont come. and dont lecture me about 911 calls and common sense for all you know im the guy on the other end of the line....

Here's the bottom line.....EVERYONE will armchair quarterback the police. No matter what we do no one is happy. There isn't one profession that every move you make, everything you write down and everything you say is scrutinized.

In reality, 99% of the public have no idea what it's like to be an officer and to be honest I had no idea what I was getting into when I got hired. No one realizes that the idiot a copper arrests for impaired driving will have to do about 6 hours of paperwork afterward....

Again, the bottom line is....when the majority of the armchair quarterbacks leave for work in the morning, they're most likely going to see their family when their shift/work day is done. I have to kiss my wife and children good bye everymorning knowing there's a chance that that will be the last time I ever see them. Cowards like to criticize, but remember, when the excrement hits the oscolating device, I'm the one running into it...and they're running away from it...

Edited by FishnNAutographs

great comment - it seems police are in handcuffs half the time - why didn't they arrest the protestors? next day, why did they arrest the protestors? the consant need for covering your butt must wiegh heavily.

its not cowardly to criticize the system that removes a uniformed officer from service for 6 hours every time they perform their duty - its clinical and quite rational. some depts have dedicated report writers that free up officers quicker.

and the bottom line - let's not lay it on too thick now.....

its actually more like 90%. some of these 'people' your are mouthing off live in half million dollar homes and work pretty hard. its not the responders its the systems that tie up resources for hours processing domestics, impaireds, etc. fire truck about 4 mins, ambulance 10 mins, police cant give you a time. the fire truck always comes, the ambulance gets there eventually depending on call volumes and drop off times - its weird to think you could call the police and they just dont come. and dont lecture me about 911 calls and common sense for all you know im the guy on the other end of the line....

No disrespect towards Lew....

But fire fighters don't do a 10th of the work police and ems do. Several of my friends who are firefighters tell me a busy 24 hour shift for them is 5 call outs..... The rest of the time they don't really do anything other than work out and some training... A slow day for me is 5-10 call outs...so don't tell me that you know the system. Saying police don't show up is a pile of Bunk... Arm chair quarterbacks need to stop getting information from television....we're human and we have limits...thinking that finding the person who egged your house or broke your window is more important than the dirt bag who's robbing people at gun point, beating the crap out of their wives and the drug dealer selling to your kids. If you knew how hard it was to put on a uniform and have men women and children hate you because of the uniform and dealing with people you would run screaming from you'd change your tone. Try doing a thankless job where you work long hours and get little thanks.

No disrespect towards Lew....

But fire fighters don't do a 10th of the work police and ems do. Several of my friends who are firefighters tell me a busy 24 hour shift for them is 5 call outs..... The rest of the time they don't really do anything

Great minds think alike... :whistling:

who is the in the armchair? just because one doesn't post an image of a police officer, have a catch line that one needs to 'save the world' tomorrow, and doesn't tell the entire audience every post what we do for a living doesn't mean one is in an armchair.

you wont get any argument from me that police and ems are busier than fire. (even though this never came up anywhere). you will get an argument if you keep suggesting that you're staring down the barrel of a gun all day and picking the bullets out of your vest every shift. seems like you're the one watching alot of tv. i haven't said anything bad about police officers so dont get so worked up about it. and why is the thanks and respect so important? who cares what the public cares about the profession. if you do your job and look after the people around you that should be enough.

anyhow ive had enough the post was share your stories about response times not bang your head off the wall.

Yeah, i reread your last post....my bad.... :asshat:

and i don't mention what I do for a living every post...i've been on here a long time

but this is reality

where is the violin

I think more taxi drivers get shot each year then cops

and most cops get killed from bad driving then shot

maybe they should reverse their jobs

I'm just saying

Edited by Terry

I for one grew up in a Law Enforcement family so I will leave my personal comments to myself. But I will leave you with a couple of things I noticed growing up. For one most cops will do there job and well , its hard to come and arrest a punk when he/she has more rights then the Cops or people that he/she just commited the crime against. He will be out on the street in a few hours providing he gets arrested at all. This is all thanks to our "Young Offenders Act" Thank you for such a farce Canada. LMAO.

Also there are 2 sides to every story, Like any profession Policing is no different. You will have some there for reasons none other than they were picked on in school and they have something to prove. You know them. We all call them the :asshat: You have thm in any profession. Its easy to find fault in any job or easy to tell one side of the story and not the other. You still have the right in Canada to protect your Family and Property if you feel threatened but not with excessive use of force. But let me tell you. I have had this experience and will not elaborate to much but I for one protected my wife and home once and never took any heat for it at all. Got arrested and all came out in the wash but had to when police showed up because they need to determine who is who. I will continue to do so anywhere I live or travel. Thats just an instinct of us being human. Wether or not you have the common sense to adjust yourself to use proper restraint is up to ones self.

Another thing is that people are to dam nosey. Sorry for that but if it does not apply to you mind your business. If you see something going wrong. Call the proper people. Most times thats the best. Just call 2 or 3 detachments. That always works. Someone will come and usually in a timely fashion unless you in the Artic where the Police only bring themselves to trek up there on Christmas. lol. Been there, I know.

Also and most important. Here is what I have observed growing up. The lack of respect. A Police officer gets none usually. I'm not sure why. They are no different then any other person. I'm a Construction worker and if I was looked upon by the public as police officers are I would be a little bias at times. Sorry but its true. They are not stupid and can usually tell when you are hiding something. We all can. Gut feelings are the same in any job or profession. Most peoples reaction to a police officer is to get their backs up. No need. Granted there are cops that are :asshat: as is the same with lots of people. Ive seen them get nasty looks just for going through a drive through or even going inside to grab coffee. For what I dont know. The atmosphere always changes no matter what. Rmember the difference is only a job aspect. No different then any of us. Keep that in mind when you are rude or quick to judge one when he has to come into your home or area because some person who has been arrested numerous times or is known to police or is just coming out the end of a 12-14 hour shift or answering the 30th call that night all with having to deal with attitude by just showing up when it was you that called. It is a tough job.

Edited by smalliefisher

There are 2 sides to every story

and there are good cops and bad cops

if you have ever had a cop lie to make you look guilty

if you have not done something wrong but a cop strong arms you

if you have had a cop treat you like a criminal, because you are in a police station, and harass you, then the cop you where talking to comes back and tells the other cop that you are reporting a crime and not a suspect and rather then apologize, he says he has his eye on you...just maybe you lose all respect for them and when one walks/drives up to you you are afraid that your civil rights are about to be stomped on....

why do people not respect cops

because cops are humans and as such they are just as prone to human emotions, thoughts and mistakes as the rest of us....we are at their mercy to their ever whim...they care weapons and if we felt threatened by them we can not do anything about it as we would be killed or anything else they want and we would be guilty until proven innocent..your word against them..good luck

having said that I would not want their job I could not hold my emotions in check as well as most of them do

they do have a tough job

I must say that the cops are good around my area heck just last month they were here in 30 seconds to catch the 3 pukes that were breaking into the CRACK HEADS house next to us (that is another story)the wife called the cops when she saw a guy leaving the house with a TV before the other 2 could get out with the junk they took the first guy dropped the TV on the road as there was 2 cruisers already pulling up. They got all 3 and it was funny to here the one PUKE crying saying he did nothing wrong BOO HOO crying that he did nothing wrong with a hand full of her JUNK.

No on the other hand I was pissed at them on Canada day as my wife was towed along with 4 others who were parking in a no parking area. For the 5 who were downtown on Canada day from just before noon on Canada day they had no clue that after they parked some officer was coming around with NO PARKING signs to put up for the parade. My wife and son were enjoying the day with the rides and all the shows on the main stage downtown just 1 block away from where she parked when she got a call from her friend who saw a wrecker tow her van. She called me (I was still 2 hours away from home) so not much help I told her to go to the cop shop and see what went on that is where she found out there was 5 of them towed at $85 each. I think that is a crock as there was no signs up early and the street was packed at noon one would think signs would be posted the night before or at least before the party in the park started that day heck they could have even made a announcement in the park that people need to move but Oh no just tow and leave the people to find out for themselves.

I guess that's carma for getting them PUNKS caught

Roy, Believe me I've sat down to chat with a few cops in my life time so far. I know what they go through.

alexcba, yea "LOL" at this guy for sure! but he was out of his mind... it wasnt just mushrooms though wassomethin else WITH the shrooms for sure! but, he had threatended a few other peoples lives. so if I was a cop and someone called 3 times i'd be sure to go crack down on another kid who is on drugs and possibly dangerous.

FishnNAutographs, let's not get into this ride along thing. infact lets keep the whole "ride with a cop" experience out of this please.

Edited by pike n' whities

well.... im surprised this did so well without bein closed down for once. but other than that..... I have on average 3-4 sqaud cars pull past my place A DAY! they are constantly patrolling my area. I live in a mid-class neighbourhood here people. right next to one of the worst areas in town. guys, I live in a small town with more than enough cops to go around. I've been into the station a couple times and seen oodles of cops sitting around talking about non work related stuff. believe me, if called out a cop should be at my residence in a respectable time to deal with something like this! specially because of the fact he station isnt any longer than 10 mins away.

specially with all the younger guys who dont want to work now a days you gotta do alot more things yourself. and it must be pretty bad seeing as how I am fairly young myself! so lets not get started on a hard days work. keep it friendly people.

FishnNAutographs, Please. explain to me the legalities of a citizen's arrest.