Garlic Crop & Garden Tour - NF

Leecher

Mid July is the time for harvesting garlic and that's just what I did this afternoon.... The easy part about it is yanking the plants out of the ground, what follows is the longest.... cleaning.

Here I am in the cleaning process

DSC04140.jpg

All nice and clean

DSC04142.jpg

Crop to be dried a couple of weeks

DSC04152.jpg

I will keep a few of the bigger ones for planting this coming October and the rest, once dried will be sent into the food processor and mixed into olive oil, packaged into cubes for the freezer.

I also harvested a few sweet peppers today.... here's a shot

DSC04143.jpg

Tomatoes are doing great in this hot sizzling weather... here's a shot of my biggest plants (left is a Monte Carlo and right is Oxheart)

DSC04144.jpg

Lots of small fruits on the plant already.... a couple of shots

Monte Carlo

DSC04146.jpg

Oxheart

DSC04145.jpg

Cherry tomato.... lots of flowers on it

DSC04148.jpg

Green sweet peppers

DSC04149.jpg

Yellow wax beans

DSC04150.jpg

and last but not least.... cucumbers

DSC04151.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour

Tight lines

Leechman

I also harvested a few sweet peppers today.... here's a shot

Tomatoes are doing great in this hot sizzling weather...

Lots of small fruits on the plant already.... a couple of shots

Cherry tomato.... lots of flowers on it

Green sweet peppers

Yellow wax beans

and last but not least.... cucumbers

I'm envious. I'm lucky to grow dandelions.

JF

Wow, nice yeild Leechamn. Your garlic is HUGE. Nice green peppers too, I never have nice ones like that myself. Bet your salads at your place are awesome!

Thanks Mike!!! A little trick for the peppers is to mix sheep manure and bone meal into the earth before planting. You can also add peat moss into the mix :)

This hot weather will really bring on the maters and peppers. Be sure to give them some extra feed weekly. It makes a big difference.

Yes Bruce, every week I add a couple of inches of sheep manure to the base of the plants and give them a good soak to get the nutrients down to the roots. It sure makes a big difference :thumbsup_anim:

I'm envious. I'm lucky to grow dandelions.

JF

Oh you haven't seen the rest of my lawn John :whistling: There in great numbers I'm afraid :lol:

Thems some kickass Garlic.We are already eating tomatoes here,cucumbers are rolling also.I'll try to post some pics this weekend.I love a good garden thread.

Joe

Thanks Joe!!! Please do.... I'd love to see them :)

Nice! :clapping:

This is the first year for us planting a vegetable garden. I'll try to get out and take some photos as well.

Thanks Rob!!! I remember my first garden.... wish I had pics to show you. Please do take photos and post them :)

Man" that Garlic looks good, peppers to. Leechman I planted Ox-heart tomatoes this year also, couldn't find plants so I did the seed thing. My plants are about a foot now. you don't hear many people mention Ox-heart. Have you grown them before? Do they pollinate with the other types? Someone told me that you should only grown one type of tomato because they get mixed up and get funny shaped. I see you have wire around. You must get pestered with Rabbits. Nice looking garden :good:

Nice looking garden you got there. We have alot of the same crops. I guess by the cages that you have a lot of critters where you live? My Beans have been ravaged by Rabbits then Mice, but everything else is good and I now have a fence up!

Thanks for the tour.

Man" that Garlic looks good, peppers to. Leechman I planted Ox-heart tomatoes this year also, couldn't find plants so I did the seed thing. My plants are about a foot now. you don't hear many people mention Ox-heart. Have you grown them before? Do they pollinate with the other types? Someone told me that you should only grown one type of tomato because they get mixed up and get funny shaped. I see you have wire around. You must get pestered with Rabbits. Nice looking garden :good:

Thanks Fish Farmer!!! First time trying the Oxheart.... was able to get a plant from one of our local garden store... funny thing is that my wife wanted a cherry tomato plant and could not find any... so instead bought that one :lol: Wish I could answer your second question but I truly don't know.

The wire around is to keep the cats, squirrels and ground hog out :) Plus it provides support for the plants :)

Nice looking garden you got there. We have alot of the same crops. I guess by the cages that you have a lot of critters where you live? My Beans have been ravaged by Rabbits then Mice, but everything else is good and I now have a fence up!

Thanks for the tour.

Thanks Mark!!! yes critters as in cats, squirrels and believe it or not ground hog, the darn thing eats my apples too :wallbash: That is why I decided to fence up.... problem solve :)

Oxheart is an old standard juice tomato. Long, cylindrical, a beefsteak that looks like a Roma. The drawback to the variety is that it is prone to blossom rot in wet years. Never water in the evening. Cross pollination is not usually an issue. We have 12 varieties of tomato at the greenhouse staying true to form. To increase pollination yield we just rustle the plants a bit to shake the pollen loose. I'll put up pics later. Just getting ready for the market.

That Garlic, well your whole garden is amazing! We use to have a nice garden but over the years we've down sized it because I was always so busy with work and Sue couldn't help with it. Now all I have is a small asparagus patch and a little herb garden.

Thanks for posting!

Oxheart is an old standard juice tomato. Long, cylindrical, a beefsteak that looks like a Roma. The drawback to the variety is that it is prone to blossom rot in wet years. Never water in the evening. Cross pollination is not usually an issue. We have 12 varieties of tomato at the greenhouse staying true to form. To increase pollination yield we just rustle the plants a bit to shake the pollen loose. I'll put up pics later. Just getting ready for the market.

Thanks for the tips bigugli, you just saved the day :worthy: I sometimes water at night :wallbash:.

Give the plants a shake, I'll be giving that a try, thanks again.

Be carefull growing garlic,you must continue to grow garlic now every year or bad luck will haunt you. At least thats was what I was told by many Eastern European friends who were scared to plant garlic.I guess in europe garlic is considered a magical plant and they believe once you grow it,you must continue the tradition throughout your life.This is why you plant it on the first full moon in November.

Anyway don't mean to scare you with some old european wives tales, your garlic looks nice,just beware and keep up the tradition now of growing some garlic every year.You will be rewarded with good luck and all the great powers that come along with garlic.You shouldn't have any problems with whearwolves or vampires either hahahaha

Edited by canadadude

Great tips Bruce :thumbsup_anim: Thanks!!!

That Garlic, well your whole garden is amazing! We use to have a nice garden but over the years we've down sized it because I was always so busy with work and Sue couldn't help with it. Now all I have is a small asparagus patch and a little herb garden.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks Cliff!!! Yeah I too down sized it for the same reasons.... it's much easier to maintain now :)

Be carefull growing garlic,you must continue to grow garlic now every year or bad luck will haunt you. At least thats was what I was told by many Eastern European friends who were scared to plant garlic.I guess in europe garlic is considered a magical plant and they believe once you grow it,you must continue the tradition throughout your life.This is why you plant it on the first full moon in November.

Anyway don't mean to scare you with some old european wives tales, your garlic looks nice,just beware and keep up the tradition now of growing some garlic every year.You will be rewarded with good luck and all the great powers that come along with garlic.You shouldn't have any problems with whearwolves or vampires either hahahaha

LOL Thanks canadadude!!! Garlic is very easy to grow and is low maintenance.... plus it's good in spaghetti sauce and stir fries. Main reason I grow it. Been at it for 5 - 6 years now and with what you just said, I'll surely continue the tradition :)

As I got my self involved in specialty cropping at my good friend's greenhouse. Here's what we focus on.

Tomatoes. 3 varieties of beefsteak. 4 varieties of cluster/vine.

DSCN3153-1.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

10 varieties of miniatures.

DSCN3149-1.jpg

For the "Klompers" out there Snijbonin

DSCN3150-1.jpg

My garlic was picked much earlier. Here are my salsa jalapenos.

DSCN3152-1.jpg

DSCN3151.jpg

Currants are done and the elderberry are a long way from ready.

It sure keeps us busy.

too bad i dont eat veggies..... id be at your place in a SECOND! :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah too bad :lol: I don't usually share.... but I'd make an exception... maybe :P

THAT IS AWESOME! Ginny's been on me to make her a garden all summer but time hasn't been on my side! :whistling: Good work with your garden man! Keep in touch.

cheers,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!!! You should give it a try and get the kids involved.... I'm sure they'd love it :)

As I got my self involved in specialty cropping at my good friend's greenhouse. Here's what we focus on.

Tomatoes. 3 varieties of beefsteak. 4 varieties of cluster/vine.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3153-1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3148.jpg

10 varieties of miniatures.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3149-1.jpg

For the "Klompers" out there Snijbonin

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3150-1.jpg

My garlic was picked much earlier. Here are my salsa jalapenos.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3152-1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z306/bigugli/2010/DSCN3151.jpg

Currants are done and the elderberry are a long way from ready.

It sure keeps us busy.

Wow Bruce :thumbsup_anim: Very nice B)

Thanks for posting

Jacques