Attawapiskat ~ River Of Trophy Pike

solopaddler

man its only been a month since i got back from beteau and boy does this bring back memories!! it really is a special place, i cant even being to think of how many people have had to hear me recount my trip since ive been back, let the countdown begin, "it is june yet??"

oh and i do believe you guys had some success in our little honey hole as well, I was admiring the pics and was like, ah ha!! not to hard to catch fish in there eh? lol

and mike your a brave man to take it through the rapids, but from the stories jason told about last september thats not really a suprise lol

oh and i do believe you guys had some success in our little honey hole as well, I was admiring the pics and was like, ah ha!! not to hard to catch fish in there eh? lol

That spot wasn't bad, but not much to hold the fish there except for that current break. The one spot I fumbled onto produced 6, 40inch fish in a single evening.. I think I pulled 3 or 4 out of there over 40inches.. Insanity.

Gents....RIDICULOUS!!

I have been waiting for this report for some time and it has impressed more then I could have imagined.

Im glad you guys had a successful trip.

Fishing has been way down on the priority list for me lately so I appreciate the report, it keeps me sane.

WOW

just wondering, with so many BIG fish, what the heck do these pike eat???

i mean to get that big you have to have a good diet of suckers or small fish and with so many of these monsters, the competition underwater must be fierce - we all know how aggressive pike are, and throw in some pickerel - Im amazed how many monsters there are.

i guess it helps that nobody fishes up there, but still need to have bait fish in the water.....

Great job! :thumbsup_anim:

WOW

just wondering, with so many BIG fish, what the heck do these pike eat???

i mean to get that big you have to have a good diet of suckers or small fish and with so many of these monsters, the competition underwater must be fierce - we all know how aggressive pike are, and throw in some pickerel - Im amazed how many monsters there are.

i guess it helps that nobody fishes up there, but still need to have bait fish in the water.....

Great job! :thumbsup_anim:

Whitefish, lots and lots of whitefish. These fish are also extremely old, they aren't growing that much per season.

Whitefish, lots and lots of whitefish. These fish are also extremely old, they aren't growing that much per season.

I also saw some dead White Suckers floating around last Sept when I was there and I seen perch in the river too. Lots to eat. I pulled a half digested 12" Whitefish out of the mouth of a 24" Walleye. I will post the video.

I also saw some dead White Suckers floating around last Sept when I was there and I seen perch in the river too. Lots to eat. I pulled a half digested 12" Whitefish out of the mouth of a 24" Walleye. I will post the video.

Doug we saw the same sort of thing as well. Half digested 12in whitefish out of a smallish walleye, lol...

That river is teaming with whitefish...

Bill's right. Whitefish are likely the most abundant baitfish for pike and walleye. For pike, it could be the walleye. Not sure, but fallfish likely swim the waters there too. Sucker, burbot and sturgeon are present as well. After a days fishing on the river last month, a friend was coming in with the net catch. 16 whitefish, 8 walleye, 3 or 4 pike, 1 ling and 1 small sturgeon was the take-home. Double the whitefish to walleye, double the walleye to pike. lol. Some nights a calm surface on the river can rain with whitefish dimples in places where they're feeding on mayflies.

So much bait it's no wonder the numbers of big pike is so great.

Wow that's an amazing report. I wonder if I can email the company and ask him to message me if a group is short or something... I doubt any of the fishermen I know can afford this, but I'd be willing to let the mortgage payment slide for a month :whistling:

Thanks for sharing the adventure :worthy:

Email away. Guaranteed somehow Eddie will accomodate you.

That is just simply incredible!!thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif We just got back from our trip to Yesterday Lake and had a heck of a time putting anything together. Winds constantly blowing from the north, temps were in the mid 20's and went to waking up to -2 w00t.gif Oddly enough we had the same thing happen to one of our fishfinders. It still sits at the bottom of Yesterday Lake. Good on ya Dan for taking the plunge!good.gif Thanks for the report!

So Yesterday was tough?

I fished it once in Sept and it was pretty good.

Too bad about your finder, it's a horrifying feeling isn't it?

After the incident I screwed the transducer to a piece of wood and used a couple of C clamps to fasten it to the transom.

man its only been a month since i got back from beteau and boy does this bring back memories!! it really is a special place, i cant even being to think of how many people have had to hear me recount my trip since ive been back, let the countdown begin, "it is june yet??"

and mike your a brave man to take it through the rapids, but from the stories jason told about last september thats not really a suprise lol

I didn't run hardly any rapids last Sept with Jason LOL!

In any case it's not that big a deal (if you have the experience and knowledge of how to read a river).

We fished your honey hole for maybe an hour total all week.

Speaking of which, I believe it was Jason who pointed the spot out to you guys, and you proceeded to sit on it for a week. :)

Well fact is I showed Jason that spot last Sept so if you want to get down to brass tacks you were fishing my honey hole. :D

If only I could get up there again. Hmmmm

September buddy.

Do you ever answer your pm's? LOL!

Good thing for digital cameras - you'd have to sell your house to shoot that much on film!

Pretty fishies.

I know, I know it's a gross number of pic's.

I apologize for the excess. :)

You should set up a OFC event there!

Actually that can be arranged. ;)