Question regarding IPOD

FLEX ROD

Okay folks when my dad died in March, my mother gave me his 2000 Jeep Cherokee

but the truck only has a radio and tape deck.

One would have thought that a 2000 Laredo would have had a cd player in it, well

it does not and in 6 days my son and I are heading up to Nakina to go and visit EDDIE, in Attawapiskat

but that is just too long and too far to travel without some toones.

Does anybody know how or what is needed to connect an IPOD?

The radio / tape deck does not have any auxiliary ports it is a standard unit from Chrysler.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

FLEX

You can pick up an adaptor. I got mine at Costco.

You just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket with iPod in it and tune the car radio to a station not in use. When the adaptor and radio are set to the same station, it plays the ipod over that station.

Works okay, better in some places than others.

fm transmitter

it will play on an fm frequency on your dial

inexpensive units can be had at factorydirect

Many thanks Raf, that is what I was looking for as I do not want to replace the exsiting unit, just not worth it in my oppion.

Thank you.

FLEX

Many thanks Raf, that is what I was looking for as I do not want to replace the exsiting unit, just not worth it in my oppion.

Thank you.

FLEX

it's not.. especially when you figure out how much stuff you gotta yank to get at the stereo in the jeep

You can pick up an adaptor. I got mine at Costco.

You just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket with iPod in it and tune the car radio to a station not in use. When the adaptor and radio are set to the same station, it plays the ipod over that station.

Works okay, better in some places than others.

Great thanks, I will check our Cosco and see if they have it as it is closer than Factory Direct, but it sounds like we have two different solutions, which one would work better any ideas?

Thanks,

FLEX

same solution worded differently ;)

You are very correct about the point of how much effoer would be required in replacing the unit in a Jeep, it would not be as easy as it was in the past.

Any way, Cosco here I come.

Thank you, all, gents.

FLEX

Great thanks, I will check our Cosco and see if they have it as it is closer than Factory Direct, but it sounds like we have two different solutions, which one would work better any ideas?

Thanks,

FLEX

Yep, the adaptor I am talking about is an FM transmitter. This is one, mine is slightly different.

My link

If it has a cassette deck, there used to be a kizmo that looked like a casette with a wire hanging out of it that you plugged into. Really don't know if they are still being made, but they don't need power as I recall, had one for playing a CD player through a vehicle.

This is the thing Dave is referring to

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/Plugin12VoltAccessories/PRD~0374464P/Digipower%252BAudio%252BCassette%252BAdaptor.jsp?locale=en

I had one in a car with no aux and it was great, the FM transmitters are good but I've found quality can be a problem (no idea why when the transmitter is next to the radio!!!) the cassette adaptor is hardwired so is more consistent.

The FM transmitters do charge the ipod though, so you might want to add one of these and plug the ipod lead into it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/AutomotiveCellPhoneAccessories/PRD~0374457P/Certified%252B12V%252BUSB%252BBattery%252BCharger%252BAdaptor.jsp?locale=en

Cheers

fm transmitters:

if you're in a major metropolitan area, sometimes you can have problems with interference from "real" radio stations. it's a matter of finding a clear frequency.. in toronto they are few and far between -- i think i use 104.1. you will not have that issue north of 7. if you start getting interference, switch to a different frequency.

Edited by Raf

If it has a cassette deck, there used to be a kizmo that looked like a casette with a wire hanging out of it that you plugged into. Really don't know if they are still being made, but they don't need power as I recall, had one for playing a CD player through a vehicle.

My audiophile son says the tape deck adapter is the absolute best way to go. And they are still available for about $10.

JF

My audiophile son says the tape deck adapter is the absolute best way to go. And they are still available for about $10.

JF

Yup I find these a lot better then the AM/FM transmitters.

Futureshop Cassette Adaptor

Best Buy Cassette Adaptor

Canadian Tire Cassette Adaptor

Edited by Devious McMurphy

Matt (my son) just said if you're nearby you're welcome to his. His cars have the inputs now.

JF

Wow John please tell your som Matt a big thank you for the offer.

I will swing by Best Buy on my way home and scratch another thing of of my list.

So now I just have to sit and wait 7 more long days, till we will actually need it.

Thank you,

FLEX