Fishing us waters for bass

vinnimon

A similiar topic on another forum has brought up my curiosity.

If we enter U S waters for bass fishing,keep whatever is allowed,then return to canada with said fish.

Can we be charged?do they need to be declared?

I dont know the regs for buffulo area,but Im sure its c & r in the U S, till bass opener here.dunno.gif

Any input would be great for future reference.

Thanks in advance

V

Yes you would need to prove where you caught them. If you're caught in Canadian waters with fish it will be assumed you caught them in said waters unless you can reasonably prove otherwise, and off the top of my head I'm not sure how you'd do that.

But none of that matters seeing as how you've already mentioned it's C & R right now in the US. So it wouldn't really matter where you caught the fish, you'd be in trouble either way. It would only matter who caught you (I suspect it'd be easier if it where the OMNR). And once bass season opens then you can legally have the fish here so no problems.

Vin. Right now is trophy season in NY waters for bass you can keep one fish 20" or bigger.I have thought about this(keeping a trophy) and the only way I can think too prove where it was caught would be too show a CO your plotter line on your GPS

really though... why would u wanna keep a 20"+ bass?! let her go make babies!! as someone said, theres lots of better tasing fish then bass anyways. and even if u were stopped and charged... again as someone said, its up to u to prove u were fishing in US waters, the MNR has to prove u were fishing in cnadian waters... which they cant do either unless they had photographic evidence of u in canadian waters fishing.

Not sure how the laws are interpreted in Ontario but here in NYS we have MANY times gone to Ontario waters of Lake Erie via Small Boat Harbor and brought back walleyes that were not legal in NYS but we never stopped in NYS waters to fish. SO that's the key.....don't stop in Ontario while fishing in NYS.

Bob

Wonder if telling the border agent on your way back would make things better or worse.

I hate to jinx myself but WHAT border agents are you referring to.....I spend a lot of time fishing on near and over the boarders and NEVER been stopped in over 35 years of fishing Lake Erie waters....and never heard of anyone PERSONALLY being stopped by either country on this matter.

As long as you don't embark onto USA soil you can fish here without checking in with Customs or Immigrations....

BTW you can just run across our southern boarder...LOL

I hate to jinx myself but WHAT border agents are you referring to.....I spend a lot of time fishing on near and over the boarders and NEVER been stopped in over 35 years of fishing Lake Erie waters....and never heard of anyone PERSONALLY being stopped by either country on this matter.

As long as you don't embark onto USA soil you can fish here without checking in with Customs or Immigrations....

BTW you can just run across our southern boarder...LOL

For example, If I went to the states with my RV and while on holiday caught a few bass and came back to Toronto with them. Wonder if informing the border guard would make things better (I'd have proof (border guard witness) they were not caught in Ontario and OOS).

Edited by Syn

I've edited my original post for more clarity. I meant that bass season is open in parts of Ontario, ie. the entire province is not closed.

it's the matter of the 15 minute boat ride across the Niagara R. or Lake Erie or a 10+ hour car ride..... $70 for a NY license or $150 in gas each way

jjcanoe

This maybe alittle off topic but the MNR and dept of fisheries in new york state have teamed up on there patrols of the boarder. When they do a patrol now there is a CO aswell as an American counter part on the vessel so no more running back across the boarder they have both sides covered.Not sure if they have been doing this on Lake Erie but I know this is how they patrol the Niagara River and Lake Ontario and it's been succesfull in catching people who don't carry licences for both Ontario and NYS.