Trailer Rust

Marty

I'm interested in any opinions as to the best was to remove trailer rust. It's a little more than just surface rust and it seems to have gotten much worse after a winter being stored underground in an old mushroom mine. I'd like to get as much as possible off and either repaint it to just touch it up. Thanks in advance.

i'm figuring the mushroom mine would be damp...

dampness and steel = rust...

sand down to bare metal in and around the rusted area, prime and repaint... find a different storage area this year...

check your floors also, could have a lot of dampness/rot in them also...

The best thing to do is have it sand blasted and work from there.

You will get a much better result and it will take much less work than sanding.

I just repainted an old trailer of mine and just used a drill with a brass wire wheel to knock the scale off and repainted with Tremclad and it turned out ok. So you can go that way if you aren't too concerned about it looking perfect. ;)

If you want the paint to hold up better you can coat the trailer with either spray on rocker guard or spray on bedliner before painting. The undercoat is more flexible and won't chip off when hit with stones and road grit like plain paint will so it will help keep the steel sealed from the elements and not allow it to rust again.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

IMHO I wouldn't store my boat underground again...not only can that cause rust on your trailer but also on all electrical connections within you boat. Bad electrical connections because of corrosion can give you head aches like you never imagined.

Bob

I know some people as well as myself who have used Linex or Rhino Liner (spray on bedliner) with fantastic results. This is also very similar to the product Ranger uses on their trailers.

Cheers G.

POR-15 is available in Black, Clear, Grey, Semi-gloss black and Silver. It IS very good stuff. Most of the rock crawlers I know use that stuff on their frames. The company is just a short jaunt down the road here.