Victim gives account of bear attack

glen

Guest Johnny Bass

Yup! Gonna carry pepper spray from now on! I've walked miles of wilderness and hiked along the Canadian shield without even the slightest worry of encountering any animals but that is all changing now!

Ministry says the population down, but it is clear from all the reports we are hearing about, that their sightings are on the rise in southern Ontario. If I had a hunting license there would be alot of bear skin rugs in my house this fall. I'll tell you that much! What will it take for these guys to get the picture? A child mauled by a bear?

I can totally relate to this guy's story..... {I missed this story somehow} :dunno:

I've had my own Black Bear attack in 1993.. on Mount Revelstoke in B.C.

I still have 4 scratch marks on my :asshat: and a couple of puncture scars on my left calf. :stretcher:

I even took a "Be Bear Aware" course and forgot everything I learned when confronted by the scrawny old sow, nowhere near 600Lbs

.........I ran :wallbash:

I have more respect for the Bruins now, but am still fearless.

RFS

:canadian:

a few people pretty much making fun of the hunter.... wow.hunting has nothing to do with the attack. "everyone knows not to climb a tree in bear country....yikes" actually thats false. climbing a tree is actually very safe. even though black bears CAN climb. climbing a tree yourself is still a little safer than staying on the ground. my grandfather (retired forest ranger) has had many, many different encounters with bears. about half of those exit strategies involved climbing a tree. in his early days he ran back to the truck a few times with the bear in hot persuit. he admits that wasnt a smart idea. but trying to scare the bear away is your best bet. unless.... you know..... their not scared of humans. then wouldnt that really suck?

Wow, that's brutal. Sorry to hear about your attack Randy. In Elliot Lake we ran into a few bears when we were living there. We ran too and luckly, they did no follow.

The comments at the bottom are unbelievable. Some people are just idiots.

Joey

History of bear attacks in Canada: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/813747

This kind of stuff happens more often then people are led to believe.

I have also read several cases that occured in Algonquin.

Hey Whopper: do you still think I'm crazy? :D

Do I think your still crazy .....yes :lol:

That was a funny evening

But I know or knew it was possible.

Where can you even buy bear spray? I thought it was illegal to carry Pepper Spray, along with any other thing used in the protection of ones self?

Do I think your still crazy .....yes :lol:

That was a funny evening

But I know or knew it was possible.

Where can you even buy bear spray? I thought it was illegal to carry Pepper Spray, along with any other thing used in the protection of ones self?

From what I remember hearing in law class (one of the few times I actually was paying attention), ‘bear spray’ is legal in Ontario with the provision that it’s not to be used against people. I remember reading that one store requires purchasers to sign a waiver that they will only use the product against animals and not people. I believe Lebarons either sells (or used to sell) bear spray. ‘Pepper spray’ on the other hand (the stuff police use) is considered a prohibited weapon.

I have 2 friends who were guides in Bristol Bay, Alaska (now near Unalakleet I believe) and from what they tell me, bear spray is “da bomb diggity!” They also had success with a few ‘dog-sprays’ as well (used for spraying rabid dogs in the eyes) when they had bears chewing up their inflatable raft.

i was in haliburton on the weekend and jumped off the quad for a pee and 10-15 yards away... good sized bruin staring at me, luckly i was 3 feet from my quad... started it up and the bear bolted away... phew!

Edited by cityfisher

Try your local gun/hunting shop. I know the gun shop in Hamilton sells it. Be prepared to pay out the :asshat: I have seen it for up to 30$ and it expires as well. The ones I have seen are pressurized to spray 15-20ft away but you only get 17 sprays out of it.

I've read that the bear spray isn't that accurate and it's close range as someone has pointed out. Apparently that bee/wasp killer is much longer range and it'll take a bear down. :thumbsup_anim: OK now who wants to volunteer for the experiment and then get back to us. :clapping:

The bee spray is designed for moving targets and it's not hard to find or illegal.

Dan O.