Carrying a tinnie on the roof of a van ?

I just bought my first boat tonight.

A 12 ft aluminum...

The hull of the boat( i think that's the right term.. lol) is 52 inches across and the racks on the roof of my Grand Caravan are only 48" :unsure:

I am thinking that I can put two 2x4's on top of the rack that are a little wider than the boat to rest it on.

How the heck am I going to attach the 2x4's to the rack.... not enough room under the racks to put a bolt through from the bottom?

Or, is there another way of doing this?

Pictures would help too.

Thanks again.

Splashhopper

I just bought my first boat tonight.

A 12 ft aluminum...

The hull of the boat( i think that's the right term.. lol) is 52 inches across and the racks on the roof of my Grand Caravan are only 48" :unsure:

I am thinking that I can put two 2x4's on top of the rack that are a little wider than the boat to rest it on.

How the heck am I going to attach the 2x4's to the rack.... not enough room under the racks to put a bolt through from the bottom?

Or, is there another way of doing this?

Pictures would help too.

Thanks again.

Splashhopper

I used to put a 14' tinny on the roof of my 2 door Blazer LOL!

All I ever did was bungee 2X4's to the roof rack.

With the weight of the boat pushing down and tied down well it was solid. Never moved an inch.

DANG.. and I thought you'd be a duct tape kinda guy solo....

Good old 100mph tape. :)

Use it all the time but not for this application.

Splash could you get a U-bolt under it I have seen that done before just drill through the 2*4 for the ends of the U-bolts size will depend on your roof racks.

That's the safest and best thing to do.

As mentioned the bungee cords worked just fine for me and I drove 1000's of km's with the boat on the roof.

may i point out (since no one else has) that the roof has a maximum weight load.... the one on my olds silhouette is 75lbs max. cap. I considered puttin my 14' on but didnt after I looked that up. I'd invest in a trailer if i was you! theres alot of places i made it with my van. some VERY surprising places too. its too beat up to take those risks now though haha.

Splash could you get a U-bolt under it I have seen that done before just drill through the 2*4 for the ends of the U-bolts size will depend on your roof racks.

Might be able to do that... will give it a try,,, failing that.... I will put the duct tape on for a short drive... ( camo tape of course :whistling: )

may i point out (since no one else has) that the roof has a maximum weight load.... the one on my olds silhouette is 75lbs max. cap. I considered puttin my 14' on but didnt after I looked that up. I'd invest in a trailer if i was you! theres alot of places i made it with my van. some VERY surprising places too. its too beat up to take those risks now though haha.

Bah! take a risk and live a little!

G

We have used Grand Caravan's in our business for the past 4 years and have carried full sheets of 1/2" plywood and drywall stacked 10 deep with no issues... I would think they weigh a lot more than the tinnie :dunno:

Instead of using a 2x4 get a Montreal Canadiens Hockey stick ... seems to me and a lot of other people that they aren't using them properly. :glare:

You're on the right track. You can use the 2x4's with screw in eye bolts on either end with ratchet straps to secure the boat :good:

A rope from the bow to the front bumper and one to the rear, she's not gonna move an inch.

RFS

:canadian:

dsc06576x.jpg

Just put it on upright! Cuts through the wind lol...

Not the first time I've done it like this. I took Rich's 14 footer to Waterford the same way!

Make sure you strap it down from all sides...

If you don't want to look as ridiculous just use the 2x4's and strap the boat down to the rack/front/back of the van really really good and you don't need to worry about securing the 2x4's.

dsc06576x.jpg

Not the first time I've done it like this. I took Rich's 14 footer to Waterford the same way!

If you don't want to look as ridiculous just use the 2x4's and strap the boat down to the rack/front/back of the van really really good and you don't need to worry about securing the 2x4's.

Nice thats Hillbilly right there LMAO anything for a bent rod!!

Nice thats Hillbilly right there LMAO anything for a bent rod!!

Damn straight! I moved to Fort Erie so I would fit in... St. Catharines people always looked at me funny!

And check the weather forecast. If rain is expected, pull the transom plug or the load will get real heavy real fast.

Very good point Roy! Also don't leave your gear in the boat lolol.

dsc06576x.jpg

Does yer van chine walk if you go to fast?

JF

Does yer van chine walk if you go to fast?

JF

lol, I got up to 120 KM/H for a good stretch between the falls and fort erie and only slowed down because I realized its just safer... So I'm gonna say no, especially since its really windy in that stretch of QEW.

OMG one $5 CTC 200 lb rated ratchet strap and a piece of twine... Sure wouldn't wanna follow behind you..

As good as the utility trailer I followed very shortly today.. that had about 2 dozen 16 foot 2 x 6's up on a 45* angle over the loading gate, like a huge nascar wing. He hit about 70 KPH and it lifted the tongue and the rear axle of his FWD van off the ground from the down force.. :w00t: .. and thankfully there was nobody coming the other way as I weaved around him with my 34 ' deck trailer with an airplane on..

Edited by irishfield

We have used Grand Caravan's in our business for the past 4 years and have carried full sheets of 1/2" plywood and drywall stacked 10 deep with no issues... I would think they weigh a lot more than the tinnie dunno.gif

Well, I aint tryin to rain on your parade bud. but I just suggested you look into it. but by all means give 'er and have some fun.

And Gerritt, I have taken plenty of risks with my van. its still a daily driver till I can get my truck when contract negotiations are over. my old truck ('87 f-150 4x4 351 windsor with 8" lift and a pair of 34" Super Swamper SSR's) went through alot of stuff too! it finally died 4 years ago on me. alwyas good to take some risks and have a little fun eh? thumbsup_anim.gif

Well, I aint tryin to rain on your parade bud. but I just suggested you look into it. but by all means give 'er and have some fun.

And Gerritt, I have taken plenty of risks with my van. its still a daily driver till I can get my truck when contract negotiations are over. my old truck ('87 f-150 4x4 351 windsor with 8" lift and a pair of 34" Super Swamper SSR's) went through alot of stuff too! it finally died 4 years ago on me. alwyas good to take some risks and have a little fun eh? thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Pike.... u do have me thinking btw ... lol

if it falls through.... i will try to flag a pickup truck down and bribe him to take me to the lake :lol:

Then deal with van later.... lol