Weekend success! Short report.

fishnsled

Well it's been awhile since I've had anything to report but this weekend changed that.

Lake Simcoe was the destination, whities and lakers were the target. After the not so great (lousy) winter season I had, I was hoping for things to change. My buddy Ken met me at my place and we were on the road just after 5am. Got launched and headed out to the masses to see if luck would be on our side. It didn't take long and we were into some fish. A couple fish on and lost, a couple of bumps and yes a few in the boat. A great day to be on the water.

Here's Ken with one that he took home.

IMG_6546 trim_1_1_1.jpg

And me with my 2.

IMG_6550 trim_2_1_1.jpg

Back at the launch I was approached to see if I could give a guy a boost. Here's the tip - I always carry a set of booster cables in the boat. Only had to use them twice in the 8 years I've had them but glad they were there when needed. So I ask where the boat is and it's actually a jet ski. As much as I'm not a fan of them, especially when I'm trying to fish, I give the guy a boost and he is happily on his way. I load up and am on my way home.

I get home, clean the fish, put the boat away and notice this.

IMG_6552_3_1_1_1_1_1.JPG

I guess some good karma came back at me faster then I would have imagined. Lend a hand to some one who needs it and got home safely without a tire blow out. Now these tires are only a just over a three years old (according to the date on them [1707] 2 and a half years of trailering) I took them off tonight to get them replaced tomorrow. Didn't show any signs of cracking but one tire was wearing a bit funny (thin on the outter edge and good tread on the inside) when I checked them a couple of weeks ago.

Upon removal it looks like both treads were about to separate and come off. The inside of the tread was now cracked and looking like it was ready to blow. Never seen this before, I'm guessing a bad set of tires. Oh well, new ones to come and will be ready for the trip north this weekend.Gonefishing.gif

Glad you made it home safe. Any chance you over-inflated the tires? I blew 2 tires in 2 years because I was follow the PSI ratings on the tires. Well........that rating is for the tire without any weight. Add a boat, motor, and gear and travel at 110kms on the highway so they heat up good and "POP"

Your a lucky man Will, it coulda got real nasty if that tire had blown coming down the hiway. I have a feeling your just like me though and keep a close eye on tires, both their condition and pressures.

Far too many guys just hop in the truck and drag the trailer to the lake without ever giving the tires a 2nd thought, then wonder why they blow.

I'm with you on the booster cables in the boat too. I also carry them and have helped out a couple stranded boaters plus I was even able to give myself a boost from a deep cycle when I left some switches on over night.

Oh ya, nice fish too :lol:

Good stuff Fishnsled.

definitely deserve even more good karma for helping a jetskier...lol...dont see many here ...but they would buzz way to close to the piers when i was sea fishing in england, dunno whether i would have been so benevolent, anyhoo....good you got back safe.

Great to see you got some fish, i hooked into more whities on sunday from the boat than i did all winter....so i hear ya about the not so 'epic' ice season.

Thanks for sharing

Simon

hey was it Sunday, by the lack of big waves I would say so

I was out there too with the other 300 boats, I think you did better then I did but I took one home to eat..and no lake trout

glad to see you made it home safe

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think so Nipfisher. I run them a bit lower then the rating just for that reason but good point though.

Lew - the other time I used the cables was to boost myself as well. Older battery a couple of years ago and the cold temps got to it in between uses.

Terry - It was Sunday. Weather was great and yes there must have been 300+ boats out there. How come you didn't see me?? biggrin.gif Good to hear you got a meal. No lakers for us but the guy beside us got one about 10 pounds.

Simon - Believe me. I had second thoughts about the boost for a spilt second once I saw the jetski. laugh.gif I figured I better do the right thing and lend a hand, glad I did.

I took the tires in this morning and there is still some warrenty left on them.thumbsup_anim.gif Should have the new ones on the trailer tonight if I can get to pick them up before they close. I'll be all set for the weekend.smile.gif

With the long weekend coming up be safe, check the trailer lights, tires, bearings, tie down straps saftey chains, etc. before you hit the highway. I was lucky and I'll admit that.