70 hp 4 stroke or 75 hp etec

bow slayer

Well it seems my hunt for a new outboard maybe over. I have come across a 70hp Johnson 4 stroke and a 75hp etec. Both motors are brand new and are compatible with my controls ,so both would be a direct switch.They both come with a 3 year warranty.

The price of both is within a few hundred of each other. So what is it.4 stroke or etec(2 stroke)?? Lets here some opinions. thanks

On a side note does anyone know what a 2001 40hp 4 stroke evinrude in very good condition would be worth? thanks

I have a 75 e-tec on my boat and am very happy with it. The biggest thing I would say is what are you using it for? Run and gun, or very cold weather e-tec has been great for me. If you want to troll for eyes I would say the 4 stroke. I cannot get my boat slower than 2.5 mph without putting out a drift sock.

Well it seems my hunt for a new outboard maybe over. I have come across a 70hp Johnson 4 stroke and a 75hp etec. Both motors are brand new and are compatible with my controls ,so both would be a direct switch.They both come with a 3 year warranty.

The price of both is within a few hundred of each other. So what is it.4 stroke or etec(2 stroke)?? Lets here some opinions. thanks

On a side note does anyone know what a 2001 40hp 4 stroke evinrude in very good condition would be worth? thanks

I also have a 75 etec, and love it never let me down just make sure to set it up properly i.e proper height & prop you should see 5200rpms at WOT. If you do plan to troll a lot then the 4 stroke might be easier to setup for trolling.

Note that Johnson outboards are no longer made - BRP discontinued the entire line in the fall of 2007 (see http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/newsdesk/20080014095152ibinews.html and http://www.johnson.com/en-CA/Index.htm).

I have never been able to confirm it, but have heard from several different sources that the Johnson four-strokes were in fact manufactured by Suzuki. They certainly look almost identical, inside and out. I do not know if the parts are fully interchangeable.

Note that Johnson outboards are no longer made - BRP discontinued the entire line in the fall of 2007 (see http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/newsdesk/20080014095152ibinews.html and http://www.johnson.com/en-CA/Index.htm).

I have never been able to confirm it, but have heard from several different sources that the Johnson four-strokes were in fact manufactured by Suzuki. They certainly look almost identical, inside and out. I do not know if the parts are fully interchangeable.

Yes the johnson is basically a Suzuki,suzuki head.

I owned the Johnson/Suzuki for 3 years. It was an amazing motor - almost silent, amazing on gas, started beautifully, plenty fast and a little heavy at 360 pounds. Parts were easy to get on net or through my local dealer but it never needed fixing and is a good choice too. If the etec is lighter then it may win the battle:)

I owned the Johnson/Suzuki for 3 years. It was an amazing motor - almost silent, amazing on gas, started beautifully, plenty fast and a little heavy at 360 pounds. Parts were easy to get on net or through my local dealer but it never needed fixing and is a good choice too. If the etec is lighter then it may win the battle:)

I think I have decided to go with the 70hp johnson.

Mind if I ask why?

Because he wants peace and Quiet Gerritt just like you when you go to a G2G you go to bed early

calm and peaceful like a 4 stroke. :tease: After several motors over the years having both 2 s and

4 stroke I will not go back to noisy 2 strokes fumes rough idle while trolling etc... :canadian:

Because he wants peace and Quiet Gerritt just like you when you go to a G2G you go to bed early

calm and peaceful like a 4 stroke. :tease: After several motors over the years having both 2 s and

4 stroke I will not go back to noisy 2 strokes fumes rough idle while trolling etc... :canadian:

Hahahahaha!! The ETec's are quiet, almost no fumes and weigh less

Dont get me wrong they are both great motors I just wanted to know what made him pick the Johnson

G.

I am counting the Days Mike! I have been pretty busy with the new business. I am finally my own boss again!

I was making good money with the company I was with... but could not stand working with a bunch of 30 year old children.. So when my review came up and I was already at the top of their pay scale, I would have made over 100k if I stayed as an employee... The thought of that scared them I think.. they suggested I sub-contract from them to make even more money..

So that is what I did!

Next Friday cannot come soon enough, I will be on Nipissing!

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.

G.

Mind if I ask why?

Mostly cost. Both are brand new,the etec is about 1500 more.Both come with 3 year warranties,the weight is very close etec -320lbs, 4 stroke-359lbs.If the price was the same or closer I probably would of went for the etec,but is it really worth 1500 more? I think not,others may think so.The etec is a 2010,the 4 stroke is a 2004. Who knows I have not committed to either yet but hope to make a decision by next week and there is a chance I change my mind.I want to have the new motor on the boat before the weekend of the 29th.As of right now I am leaning toward the 4 stroke and keeping 1500 in my pocket.

In your first post you mentioned that both motors are BRAND NEW but in your last post you say the 4 stroker is 2004....even if it's never been used but that seems hard to believe I would be going with the 2010 ETEC even if it's $1500 more...come time when you sell or trade in this motor the ETEC will be EASILY worth more that the initial $1500.

In your first post you mentioned that both motors are BRAND NEW but in your last post you say the 4 stroker is 2004....even if it's never been used but that seems hard to believe I would be going with the 2010 ETEC even if it's $1500 more...come time when you sell or trade in this motor the ETEC will be EASILY worth more that the initial $1500.

the Johnson is brand new 2004 old dealer stock.Still in the crate.

personally I would question why the 2004 motor has not been sold yet? New or used 2004 would break the deal for me. I would look for a newer 4 stroke. The one think I like about the e-tec's are that they have a self fogging feature. That's a great feature I would consider. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If it was my money... (which I know it is not..) and if I was looking at resale value.. the 2010 Etec is worth alot more then a already 6 year old motor..

If down the line you decide to sell.. you might not get what you want if the motor is 12, 14 or 16 years old... vs.. 6,8 or 10 years with the ETec...

also there is a difference in technology given the date of the motor you are thinking of buying..

I am not sure if in the long run the 1500 you save now.. will save you 1500 when you decide to sell...

I am not trying to sway you in either direction.. as they are both great engines..

I am just thinking of resale.. a 6 year old model vs. a NEW model.. New or not... people want the latest technology they can afford.

I would also be a bit concerned about the rings, impeller etc in a 6 year old motor that has just been sitting there... perhaps all dried out?

Good luck either way.. I am sure you will have a fine motor when you are done.

be sure to post pics!!

G

$1500 is definetely a good chunck of change, but I don't think it's much when you consider your moving up 6 years with the Evinrude.

I've had a few Johnsons over the years and their an excellent motor, but even though the Johnson your considering is still new in the box, at the end of the day it's still a 6 year old motor.

I've never owned an Evinrude but have heard good things about the E-Tech

Obviously the choice is up to you, but if it was my $$$$, I know what I'd be doing with it, but then again, I drive a Yamaha :lol:

Anyways, best of luck with whatever choice you make.