Is Rice Lake's Walleye SAFE for Pregnancy Woman?

maybo

I'm thinkin they're safer than anything you buy in the store...

Also make sure your wife doesn't listen to the Docs these days about not eating peanut butter when pregnant. We have to many nut allergy kids running around now as it is.. thanks to this nonsense. Grab a jar and devistate it when the craving arises...

There's a high level of mercury in many of ontario's fish. I'd be sure to check that guide, and err on the side of caution.

Its good (actually, great) for your wife to get some fish oil (for omega 3 DHA etc, helps build brain tissue amongst other things). My wife picked up some from the drug or health food store....be sure to get the stuff that comes from small fish (anchovies, sardines, etc) as it usually has fewer contaminants.

For the life of me, I cannot believe how many people are buying into this crap!

Agreed Roy. It is a bit of a story... but all of us came out just fine.... all depends on who you ask though!

G.

For the life of me, I cannot believe how many people are buying into this crap!

Which part is crap? That mercury is bad for pregnant women, or that there's mercury in fish and pregnant women should be really careful with what they eat?

I thought I read that there were elevated levels of PCB's in Rice due to discharge from the Otonobee in Peterborough from years back? Might be something to read into as it may be a bit higher in Rice than most Kawartha Lakes.

A fillet or two won't harm her or the baby. The 'fresh' salmon you buy at the grocery store is positively loaded with contaminents. Everything in moderation. Cold cuts (ie. ham, salami, etc...) should be avoided because of the nitrosamines that they are preserved with. A little fish is very good and healthy for you. I agree with Wayne in that we have gone overboard in trying to protect the babies and pregnant mothers. Good luck with the pregnancy, exciting times, that is for sure.

Lake caught fish is much lower in contaminants then farmed fish. Just like wild game is lower in contaminants then farmed.

Not always. I know there are tuna caught off mexico that don't meet Canada's food requirements for heavy metal.

The mercury thing is real (oddly high in some ontario lakes). It has never stopped me from enjoying a meal of fish here and there, but i would be careful if my wife was pregnant.

Keep it in moderation. One walleye meal won't harm your wife or baby. You could probably eat fish once a month while pregnant depending on the fish and where it comes from.

At least you know if you catch it in Rice Lake what the toxins levels are.

Buy it from the grocery store and its anybody's guess since no one really knows where their fish is coming from or if it is what they say it is.

Bottomline fish has health benefits and drawbacks like all meats. Ie. Don't substitute a fish meal for red meat and think you are making a better choice from a health perspective.