WASHINGTON.....

Stoty

Wow Halak is incredible,hope he keeps it up and y'all win the cup.I'm a bit bummed as I have been following the Caps since the late 70's and I thought this was THE year.Too many woulda shoulda moments,no exuses here,we were out goalied for sure.The Caps still had a great season and the presidents cup as well as some pretty great offense this year.I knew we were in trouble when we went into too many OT games down the stretch.Played down to too many teams we should have crushed and rested too much.Its much better to enter the playoffs sharp and hungry rather than looking for excuses to win.Good job Canadiens!

Joe

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Novechkin strikes again!

May the Crosby vs. Ovechkin debate rage on! :whistling:

One has won every accolade available and the other has yellow laces.

My sentiments exactly.

The nice thing about Roethlisberger is that despite being 260 with a face-tan, he still genuinely believes he's a hockey player. His hockey hair is off the hook.

Crosby? Says very little, bigger the game, better he plays. Already decorated professionally and internationally. No sound bites, no limelight. A playmaker and his team mates love him. Probably the best ambassador in any sport since Gretzky in my mind. Funny, they're both humble, small town guys. You could not pick a better guy to lead a group. It's all action, and a resume of production.

Ovechkin? Bigger the game, less of a factor he is. Walk right down the line with this one. World Jrs, Olympics (there's still a Search Warrant out on him), Stanley Cup Playoffs. Not a leader. Even guys on his own team shake their heads at him. It's been documented. At his best in 11-2 games in Decemeber when there's zero on the line. A glorified Pavel Bure if you ask me. The way Ovechkin picks his spots physically is another thread altogether. I think as his act wears thinner and thinner with all that talent and zero results, he just may get his clock cleaned, Evene in today's pansi-friendly league. Yzerman, Coffey, Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, these guys all "loved to make score goals" just as much as you do. The only difference is they acted like men when they did it. And am I the only one who thinks Ovechkin could be a stunt double for one of the cavemen on the Geico commercials? Crosby may look like he's wearing lipstick a lot of the time, but the shape of Ovechkin's skull and forehead along with his bert 'n Ernie cut really does make him look like Austropolithicus.

I think the tale of the tape in the results department will be so lopsided in Crosby's favour ten years from now that it will be a joke we ever compared the two.

Edited by LipDip

The shape of someones skull or haircut doesn't make a hockey player. Thats just stupid to even comment on that. The difference is Crosby leads by example and is a humble person. His team mates would follow him off of a cliff. Ovi hasn't figured out there is no (I) in the word team and seems to be more interested with his personnal goals and achievements.

Halak, that's what happened.

Probably the biggest factor, but I don't think I've ever seen Hal Gill come thru like that for a sustained period. He was a rock on defence. And Gomez (and a few others) maintained the energy level to keep the speed up there. Mebbe speed only works for Ovy when he's the only speedster in the mix. He got poke checked more than I've ever seen before. In fact, Montreal back checked as well as any team I've seen in a while. When a Caps player would try to skate thru neutral ice with the puck as often as not it seemed a Hab would just catch him, lift his stick and take the puck. It was sure fun to watch.

Now the next big question, can the Habs keep that energy level thru another fast series. I can't be any more surprised if they do but I'm not betting on them getting out of this next series. As much as it pains me to say it, those Habs put on one of the gutsiest performances I've seen in a long time and I've become a temporary fan for the rest of the playoffs. Naturally I'll be back in Blue when preseason starts again, and cheering for whichever of their platoons of goalies and d-men appears.

I kinda felt sorry for Price at the end. It would have been nice if he could have had a little piece of the victory after all the abuse he's had thrown at him by the fans. From what I've seen of Habs fans over the years (only on tv) they're the most hypocritical pricks in the hockey fan world. All the love in the world for their team when they win but watch them turn on them if they're down 0-3 in the next round. While the rest of the hockey world will still be raving about the great job done by the Habs against the Caps their own fans will be booing them (even Halak) for not walking all over Sid and the Pens. Am I being too hard on Habby fans?

Is anyone betting against Subban to be a regular next year?

JF

I do think Crosby is a better all-round hockey player than Ovechkin.

We are only 5 years into this comparison that will last for the next 50 years and both players have 12-15 seasons still to play. That said Ovie is very entertaining to watch, maybe more than Crosby.

My first instinct is to not like ovie (that's growing-up with the Iron curtain for you I guess). Ovechkin loves to play hockey. Much of the time he acts like the biggest kid in the world, and I find that refreshing. The down side is that, like a kid, he wants to stay out on the ice all the time. Hockey shifts of over a minute are not the most efficient use of a human's energy systems. No amount of training, or genetics, can overcome that fact.

If Ovechkin were to take shorter, but more frequent, shifts he would have a similar amount of total ice time but the quality of his shifts would go up dramatically. That's scary when you think what he has been able to do up to this point doing his way.

No ones talking about Gill and Moore ,two guys not good enough for the leafs ???? sure looked good out there , you can bet they are so greatfull to Burke for ,lol , cutting them loose. Maybe they were not great golfers so the leaf guys didnt want them bringing their golf games down . How many more EX leafs will be enjoying the play offs, Rask etc. sad sad

No ones talking about Gill

The guy shining up his Stanley Cup ring from last year. :clapping: :clapping: He played very very well for Pittsburgh last year in the run to the cup, very underrated. He did play really well for the habs in this series as well.

Ovechkin is somewhat predictable. When he comes in and a blocker steps in his way, he shoots anyway. Crosby and Malkin typically pass the puck off instead even just to keep possession. This will be a very different series for the Habs.

The guy shining up his Stanley Cup ring from last year. :clapping: :clapping: He played very very well for Pittsburgh last year in the run to the cup, very underrated. He did play really well for the habs in this series as well.

Ovechkin is somewhat predictable. When he comes in and a blocker steps in his way, he shoots anyway. Crosby and Malkin typically pass the puck off instead even just to keep possession. This will be a very different series for the Habs.

I agree it will be a different series for the Habs,this one we win in six not seven!!!

Not just Washington, but the top 3 seeds in the east.... buh bye la. I think it was a big mistake by washington to leave varlamov in there, they should of went back with theo, mtl put in price after an ify halak but went back with him, you have to believe in ur players, theodore was their man for the playoffs, a bad game and they dump him, big mistake in my eyes, varlamov was hardly a descent goalie in this series

GO HABS GO

Ovechkin hits, checks and grinds out on the ice, Crosby dosn't battle like Ovi and they were pretty equal in stats this year only because Crosby played 15 or more games. The one thing I do like about Syd the kid is he's finnally stopped crying about every check.They didn't need a Zamboni in Pittsburg for the previous 4 yrs they just flooded the ice with Crosby's tears hahahahaha.Anyway both those dudes better move over soon, Stamkos will be taking over.

If the habs can shut down the most powerfull offence in the league they should be able to take out Pittsburg. Watch out for Detroit, the best team since the Olympic break is beginning to roll and they like winning Stanley Cups