Rice Lake on the May long weekend

Radnine

Okay, here is the deal: I have the B-in-Law trip to Rice (normally it'd be Doe, but we are switching it up this year) and we are there for the long weekend starting Friday night.

My one B-in-L tells me that he will likely pack up Sunday night and drive home in the dark rather than stay until Monday, fish in the morning, then pack up and head out. I am gob smacked. He does not want to deal with the traffic on Monday.

Does anyone else operate like this? I mean it is Rice Lake and we are in Hamilton for Christ's sake, what's the worst it could be, twice as long (which would be 5 hours instead of 2 1/2)? Is that worth giving up a night with the lads, a morning fish, and a leisurely pack and go (not to mention the logistics of now having to split food/ accommodations/expenses into different amounts because of one less day)?

I guess what I am asking is, should I drop his sister so I don't have to invite him up next year?

Thanks for what I know will be sage advice.

Jim

Just tell him its a group plan either he is in or out..that simple..Unless he is driving himself..Then it doesnt matter

Yep, his choice. Stay if you want and tell him you are going to. I bet he'll change his mind.

Joey

Man, I could only imagine the traffic on the Monday across the city to Hamilton when the traffic starts in Bowmanville. :angry:

IF he's got to leave earlier then what has been planned, then he must pony up the moola. Sounds like maybe there is a little whippage going on with him?

Yup... what Big Buck said! Back way till you get to the 407 and you should be golden! BTW - I'd advise your BIL to pack an extra skirt, it might get cold out there that time of year!

You could aslo ask him if his husband might be free for the entire weekend!

HH

Yup... what Big Buck said! Back way till you get to the 407 and you should be golden! BTW - I'd advise your BIL to pack an extra skirt, it might get cold out there that time of year!

You could aslo ask him if his husband might be free for the entire weekend!

HH

That's a classic! Thanks HH.

Thanks to all!

The anal attitude toward traffic notwithstanding, he's a wonderful guy, honest. And it was the relationship that he has with his son that I was trying to emulate when I chose to get into fishing in a bigger way.

I have always wondered about another route from the 407, that coming down Brock road to the 401 only to spend another hour moving through Oshawa is a killer.

Thanks again for the great responses.

Jim

Check out a map...407 to no 7 then cross over 12 at Brooklin, Ont. over to Kirby, Ont...(just past Simcoe Street you make a short jaunt south at Harwood Road to Conlin Road then continue east on over to Kirby)...cross over the 115 and continue east on county road 9...You did not mention where you were staying on Rice but if you cross over 28 it will take you all the way over to 45...

Hope this helps...took this scenic route for 30 some odd years...

Edited by Beans

Check out a map...407 to no 7 then cross over 12 at Brooklin, Ont. over to Kirby, Ont...(just past Simcoe Street you make a short jaunt south at Harwood Road to Conlin Road then continue east on over to Kirby)...cross over the 115 and continue east on county road 9...You did not mention where you were staying on Rice but if you cross over 28 it will take you all the way over to 45...

Hope this helps...took this scenic route for 30 some odd years...

Grab a map and just head west. Zig-zag as needed. Do it all the time. Much more interesting drive. Less traffic.

Thanks to you both. I have been looking at maps, and am wondering why anyone would make that brutal drop down onto the 401.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thats pretty funny. Having to cut a weekend fishing trip short because of traffic. I just can't understand it.

I can see where Rice to Hamilton on a Monday after a long weekend would put me more stressed than before I got away though. If I have to wait through 2 reds to get through an intersection I go nuts. And all the different routes. We come back from the north on hwy 17 north and from the east on hwy 17 east, from the south on I75...thats the ONLY choices.

Glad I live where I live.

Hmmm...I'm going to fish Nip in North Bay that weekend with my daughter...I wonder if I should come home Sunday to beat the traffic. :whistling: