Catfishing pic heavy

Daplumma

Took the big boat out today for a shakedown and some Catfishing.Cloudy,drizzley 55F perfect weather for cats.

Here she is,made it thru the winter,45 inches of snow at one point.Kept Art on his toes keeping here afloat.

100_1101-1.jpg

100_1100-1.jpg

First order is to get some bait...Shad!Set out the gill net.

100_1079-1.jpg

Pull in the net.

100_1082-1.jpg

Bait!

100_1087-1.jpg

Both captains plotting the course

100_1075-1.jpg

First mate setting up

100_1083-1.jpg

Quick run to the good spot.

100_1085-1.jpg

Fish on,Pops gets into one.Sadly this will be the only kitty.The big Blues are spawning so they are not out now.This is a respectable Channel though.

100_1088-1.jpg

100_1089-1.jpg

One little striper came out to play,well under the 28"limit.

100_1090-1.jpg

Some scenery.

100_1080-1.jpg

100_1073-1.jpg

100_1096-1.jpg

The End

100_1094-1.jpg

Very cool! Catching the bait first is half the fun isn't it... stripers are on my future to catch list. I watched a fishing show not too long ago (Fish'n'Canada) where Pete Bowman was catching huge stripers with an 18" long eel-like lure.

They called them surgical eels back in the 70's.Surgical tubing with hooks.Umbrella rigs and big white plastic shads thumping along behind the boat work.Not a lot of fun though,unless you can stop the boat and figh tthe fish.Mostly its dragging dead weight behind a trolling boat.Catching them upriver on a pike weight rig with minimal weight is an epic battle.Hope you get a chance to catch one.Exellent table fare.

Joe

fantastic report! catch your own bait....love it!

also good to see a seafishing report, i am assuming you are fishing the ocean with the striper you caught.

Anyway...great report, your boat is cool too, my father in law used to run something similar out of Eirieau, Ontario.

Great looking cats, and the striper had me remembering going out with my sabiki feathers, catching live sandeels, and 'bubble floating' live bait for sea bass back in England.

Thanks for posting.

This was the Potomac river about 10 miles south of Washington DC.Tidal and mostly fresh water.The Stripers are born in fresh and go out to sea.This one has not been to the ocean yet.They return to spawn this time of year and then the big one come in.Art has a license for the gill net and its his boat.He has the cats dialed in on that part of the river.

Joe

What a great report, Joe! ummmm tell your brother that he should be INSIDE the boat. Looks like a wonderful day for you guys.

Great.... The one time I decide to walk on water and Joe posts it on the internet.

Art

Yay team Melancon! Great to see the southern contingent wetting some line. I have a trip planned wif me bruvvah and Pa soon too. These times are treasured, and so few. Thanks for those pictures.

Slowpoke, that fish deserves its own thread!