Is Carp Roe Edible ?

Afraz

Alrite before people freak out, and say its a trash fish why would you eat eggs of trash and what not. Bear with me, i googled Carp Roe Recipies and the results i got were for something called "taramOsalata" a Greek dish apparently which is simply fish roe usually Carp or Cod all mashed up mixed with herbs and spices. Now my problem is how do you remove the skein from the roe ? and for myself personally the black colored eggs really put me off unlike Salmon or trout Roe which at least look good to eat but is probably laden with DDTs and what not.

So yeah, is carp roe edible ? and if so what can you make with it, how do you prepare it ?

On another note what about panfish roe ? Say if you catch a mess of crappie/bluegill/perch and you find those yellow jewels inside could they be put to good use ? Bait or for table fare ?

Thanks

If you can't help, no point in mocking someone for trying not to waste fish Parts. I know what most of my buddies do with carp. Yep they make the grass greener. Or they trade carp for tackle with their asian buddies lmao. I have enuff tackle and no lawn. So that leaves me with either cook it or dump it back where it came from so it can continue destroying the habitat feeding of gamefish eggs and uprooting plants.

Edited by Afraz

If you can't help, no point in mocking someone for trying not to waste fish flesh. I know what most of my buddies do with carp. Yep they make the grass greener. Or they trade carp for tackle with their asian buddies lmao. I have enuff tackle and no lawn. So that leaves me with either cook it or dump it back where it came from so it can continue destroying the habitat feeding of gamefish eggs and uprooting plants.

I don't eat fish in general... I was laughing at the replies!

If you can't help, no point in mocking someone for trying not to waste fish flesh. I know what most of my buddies do with carp. Yep they make the grass greener. Or they trade carp for tackle with their asian buddies lmao. I have enuff tackle and no lawn. So that leaves me with either cook it or dump it back where it came from so it can continue destroying the habitat feeding of gamefish eggs and uprooting plants.

Fish roe may be legally stripped (taken) from fish that are legally caught provided that the fish itself is not discarded and wasted. You may also give fish roe to other anglers for their use but an angler may not sell, trade or barter fish or fish parts including the eggs. Only the holder of a commercial fish licence or an aquaculture licence may sell fish roe.

this is the second time i posted this information for you Afraz...hopefully youll get the hint that what you proposed in the other thread is illegal and the buddies you hang with are prctising illegal activities as well....

Edited by Twocoda

tie giant carp roe bags and use them like waterballoons

LMAO !!! ahahahhaha sounds like a great idea, heck the next time one of the fisheries officers pulls up i might just throw some his/her way, and den spend the next 20 years of my life in prison, for assualt with a biological weapon ahahahah.

Wow this thread just got out of hand, but seriously though. No one has secret carp roe recepies eh.

Yes you can eat carp roe.

Realize that carp are one of the most popular freshwater gamefish on the planet. Try search European and Asian recipes.

Also panfish roe is excellent. I don't normally eat it, but I know a couple of people that would rather eat the roe skeins than the rest of the fish.

I have no problem with people trying non-game species for eating. Most are actually excellent table fare. Catfish and Ling would be two examples of fish that are not normally targeted in Ontario that are fanatstic table fare. In fact I have not harvested a walleye or trout in a few years, I have switched all of my fish harvest to panfish. Better eating, more numerous and the people I fish with are really good with bobbers. :dunno:

If you harvest a fish, use as much of it as you can.

If your carp roe tastes like corn, your using too much chum.

I guess none of you have ever tried Taramosolata then? Great Greek traditional spread that involves Carp roe. I don't really eat fish but his stuff is amazing... Eddie's Steakhouse on Yonge just North of Steeles gives it to you as part of the pre meal snack with garlic bread to spread it on. Mmmmmmmmmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taramosalata

Yes you can eat carp roe.

Also panfish roe is excellent. I don't normally eat it, but I know a couple of people that would rather eat the roe skeins than the rest of the fish.

If you harvest a fish, use as much of it as you can.

I agree. Many people might not feel like to try them though.