the perfect braid

braids  

52 members have voted

1. 1. what braids do you fellas recommend? (mostly pike and walleye fishing)

• power pro
    • sufix
    • spiderwire (pretty inovative stuff they got)

hey guys, i've never fished braid..... never fished with a bait caster... i've got the down low about how to prevent line crossing, birds nests, whatever you call em. i've been looking around for the "perfect braid". i've been told about power pro but i seen the thread from MTBF a while ago about how his was breaking inconveniantly. so i dont really know a good line to go with. looking for some guidence to the good stuff. if you got any opinions or suggestions about braid then i would be happy to hear them! oh and which pound line is recommended?

tell me if im missing any lines? and which of them can be found at CT/walmart?

thanks guys!

Edited by pike n' whities

Im a bit biased here, i have not tried any other braid but power pro. i wanted to use braid 2 years ago and it was recommended that i try power pro and ive been a very happy camper since. cant say enough good about it and no reasons to try anything else.

im sure the other brands listed are good as well, but i have no experience with them.

If you have never used a baitcaster I would suggest maybe using a heavy mono until you gain some confidence. It might save you a few headaches. If your dead set on braid, grab whatever is on sale at CT or Walmart here in the Soo. I use fireline crystal usually but have used many other brands. No serious complaints with any really...

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Power Pro...Stren...or Spider wire. Either way u look at it people have their favorites. IMO they all fade over lot's of time fishing and they are all strong.

Personally Power Pro braid is the best. If you can find it on sale, Spider wire works just as well.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I would agree to start with mono if you've never used a baitcaster, just until you get confident with it. You dont want to waste 20 bucks on a spool of braid and have it all tangle on you.

Personally, I love Power Pro. I have used several braids out there and Power Pro is my favourite. That being said, the old owners of Power Pro (before they sold it to Shimano) just started a line called Spider Thread. Not Spider Wire, its different stuff. Very tough line, doesnt fade as much as any other braid and is the most limp braid I've ever seen. I've spooled a few rods with it for this season. We'll see how it goes.

Fireline. I've got 50# on a round baitcaster and really enjoy it. I found the50# powerpro dug into the remainder of the spool for some reason and made for all sorts of headaches. Problem may have been user related but switching lines seems to have helped.

thanks for the help so far guys. looks like power pro is the most popular. i'll give it a go. i don't think im gunna go with mono first though.

i went for whities today... nothing! i got a bite early this morning around 9:00 when i let my rod go still for about a minute. was just a tear drop tipped with a grain of rice, cause i forgot my wax worms.... and camera. they just dont seem to be too active right now. anyhow as i was picking up my rod i let the line go slack for a split second, that turned out to be an extremely stupid choice. brought the rod up slowly and the fish was gone with my rice! so i re-baited and got nothin after that. so i packed up around 12:30 and went on home. after some lookin through the bush and finding a coon skull and jaw bones.

one guy misuses his braid and guides and rants about power pro and now people are scared of it here LOL. I love it. Sure I would give Sufix a try but here in Montreal its not sold ANYWHERE! Baron don't even have power pro red nevermind sufix. Quebec sucks. I want Cabelas and Bass Pro

Guest nuker

i buy fireline when it's on sale. i remember ctc last year had crystal on sale for $9.99 a spool. regular is $24.99. I also use the Spiderwire stealth. I dont' have a problem with either.

correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think i discovered a bit of trickery.

The Fireline shows that it is made with Dyneema, and retails for $21-$24, depending where u go.

Spiderwire stealth braid is also made with Dyneema, but retails for $12-$14, depending on store.

So... I would say, pocket the $10 difference and by the Spiderwire cuz it's pretty much the same thing!

Fireline braid is round because of the weave they use, I fished #15 and #50 last yr. and it's leaps ahead of anything else out there for castability and is very durable.Stren sonic braid would be my 2nd choice (upgraded super braid new last yr).I used power pro for yrs. but lets just say I can tell the difference imeadiately when I pick up a rod spooled with it as I still used it on a few last yr.

Edited by hirk

I started with 50lb power pro on my first ever bait caster, it has worked out pretty well, not that i haven't gotten a few bird nests along the way, funny thing, I think I originally over filled the spool even though i followed directions. Last summer, my second season with it I got a huge birds nest and had to lose maybe 20 yards of line, i didn't get a single birds nest the rest of the season after that, and it was easier to cast.