Bolt Cutters on Sale at CTC

bassman

Hey you gotta start somewhere. I used these for the first 4 yrs of Muskie fishing. They were better than nothing. Took some effort but once you start using the larger/stronger hooks, they can be very difficult to cut the thick shank hooks. I guess what I'm saying is: Whatever your budget can afford. Either way you look at it, it's still better thank trying to tear the hooks outa the mouth. Another option is to go barbless, then you won't need to worry about cutting the hooks - most of the time.

I thought they'd be good enough too.. 'till I tried cutting the hooks on a suick and ended up going through two pairs -- I bought two pair during a similar type sale.

I am sure the bigger CT cutters wouwld be good but they are a two-handed affair.

So no, I don't think they are "good enough".

I have a beauty Knipex unit- loved it until the one end of the cutter broke off on a treble last season- really ticked me off as they cost about $80 when I bought them. Looking for another pair and hoping they are better quality than the first pair.

I have a pair of those, and they're fine most of the time. Much better than having no cutters at all.

And, if the only last through 10 muskies, or even 5....who cares? Get a new pair.

Knipex do rock though, if you can swing the $80.

If you ever have the mis-fortune of getting a 7/0 driven thru your hand while a PO'd musky is still attached to the other end, you'll be wishing you had the Knipex so you can cut yerself free with the one hand you have remaining.

Nuthin worse then a cheap tool when you need the best one in a hurry.

The CTC cutters will work on small hooks but for the BIG hooks, you'll be glad you spent the $$$$ for the quality product.

And just an FYI, ALWAYS keep your cutters where you can get at them in a hurry. You don't want to have to start hunting for them when that BIG slimer is trying to rip your hand off.

If you ever have the mis-fortune of getting a 7/0 driven thru your hand while a PO'd musky is still attached to the other end, you'll be wishing you had the Knipex so you can cut yerself free with the one hand you have remaining.

Nuthin worse then a cheap tool when you need the best one in a hurry.

The CTC cutters will work on small hooks but for the BIG hooks, you'll be glad you spent the $$$$ for the quality product.

And just an FYI, ALWAYS keep your cutters where you can get at them in a hurry. You don't want to have to start hunting for them when that BIG slimer is trying to rip your hand off.

That's actually a great point.

Is there any chance the metal in those has improved? I have never had a problem with mine. On one hand i catch fewer muskies than the rest of you. On the other, the hooks i have cut out were big bait hooks. Even one of the singles on an MM spinnerbait, and i'm pretty sure those are 8's or 9s. Cut through everything, no problem.

Yep .. I'm with Lew on that one ... you will always see mine right by my side - out and within reach... lying on the towel I use to dry my hands with ... and Knipex is definitely the only way to go .. like cutting through butter ...

What Model Knipex is everyone using? And also, where did you buy them? I know JB's and Pro Tackle do not carry them, so who in Ontario does? Or did everyone order from the US?

I have been going through CTC pliers for years, about 10 pairs, I even have the the larger size up.

What Model Knipex is everyone using? And also, where did you buy them? I know JB's and Pro Tackle do not carry them, so who in Ontario does? Or did everyone order from the US?

I have been going through CTC pliers for years, about 10 pairs, I even have the the larger size up.

Hey Mike, give Gord a call at Bits and Baits which is just west of Ottawa....or you can order them on-line from his store....the store is closed until Monday, because he's setup a booth at the annual Carp Valley Fishing and Outdoor show this weekend... http://www.valleysportsmanshow.com/VFOS

http://www.bitsandbaits.com/tacklethis/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=90

Most industrial tool places will have them in stock.

Places like Charles Jones or Acklands Grainger, SB Simpson etc etc

They are not just a Musky tool, they are a professional trade tool

If your into any sort of musky fishing these are a must have.

Hey Mike, give Gord a call at Bits and Baits which is just west of Ottawa....or you can order them on-line from his store....the store is closed until Monday, because he's setup a booth at the annual Carp Valley Fishing and Outdoor show this weekend... http://www.valleysportsmanshow.com/VFOS

http://www.bitsandbaits.com/tacklethis/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=90

Stopped by the Carp show yesterday. Was at his booth, but never dawned on me to ask, I have asked Brian and Steve at JB's to bring them in a few times but it costs a bit too much do to duties and such.

I'll be back in GTA the next 2 weekends so if anyone knows anyone that carries them in the area, let me know, if not, I will grab them from Bits and Baits.

Anyone know the model number?

Stopped by the Carp show yesterday. Was at his booth, but never dawned on me to ask, I have asked Brian and Steve at JB's to bring them in a few times but it costs a bit too much do to duties and such.

I'll be back in GTA the next 2 weekends so if anyone knows anyone that carries them in the area, let me know, if not, I will grab them from Bits and Baits.

Anyone know the model number?

Mike, if you can't find the Knipex in town, you can order them from the following address in Saskatchewan. I ordered mine from them several years ago and had them in a couple days. I payed around $60 but I see now their up to $67 but their still worth the $$$$

Click the link, then go to tools, then cutters and your looking for the Cobalt Cutter with spring.

That's the one myself and most of my friends use and everyone is very happy with them.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=70&cat=Wire+Cutters&websess=51517545158254

Mike, if you can't find the Knipex in town, you can order them from the following address in Saskatchewan. I ordered mine from them several years ago and had them in a couple days. I payed around $60 but I see now their up to $67 but their still worth the $$$$

Click the link, then go to tools, then cutters and your looking for the Cobalt Cutter with spring.

That's the one myself and most of my friends use and everyone is very happy with them.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=70&cat=Wire+Cutters&websess=51517545158254

The cobalt cutter is what Bits and Baits in Stittesville sells for $69.00....

if you get to the USA check out Lowes they are $44 over there I saw them on sale last year and am waiting for them to go on again for $20 range. My only problem is that I did not know they were on sale and did not buy any I thought it was there reg price.