Walleye in and around hamilton?

Lunatic

Since walleye and pike season is almost here im looking for some locations,ponds,lakes,rivers where i can hook into some walleye.

but not interested in lake ontario. i dont have a boat and not a fan of elbow to elbow fishing. id like to go to some places i havent tried before.

just getting tired of the same old places and every year more and more people find out these spots and it becomes elbow to elbow and crossed lines.

it would be great to find something within hamilton...

any suggestions would be great.

if someone is into trading spot ideas thats no problem either

Second that!! the Grand river is a great place to catch Walleye along with a lot of other fish and its not far from Hamilton. The dam in Caledonia can get pretty congested but there are all kinds of place to stop your car and fish.

Second that!! the Grand river is a great place to catch Walleye along with a lot of other fish and its not far from Hamilton. The dam in Caledonia can get pretty congested but there are all kinds of place to stop your car and fish.

I tried the dam last year. im not a good river fisherman. unless its close to still or very slow moving water.

i cast my jig in and with in 4 seconds it has already traveled down stream up close to the shore line :wallbash:

the little pools off to the side were being fished heavily.

I tried the dam last year. im not a good river fisherman. unless its close to still or very slow moving water.

i cast my jig in and with in 4 seconds it has already traveled down stream up close to the shore line :wallbash:

the little pools off to the side were being fished heavily.

Pm sent, Have fun HEHE,Ill be there soon

the grand river is great for walleye. welland river also has some, just gotta put the time in to find the rite areas. binbrook conservation area has walleyes and some really nice ones. again, gotta put the time and effort in there to get them. and a lesser known one, the niagara river. lower niagara in the spring gets a good run and u can get double digit fish down there if u get the rite spots. slacker water in the niagara is what to look for.

the grand river is great for walleye. welland river also has some, just gotta put the time in to find the rite areas. binbrook conservation area has walleyes and some really nice ones. again, gotta put the time and effort in there to get them. and a lesser known one, the niagara river. lower niagara in the spring gets a good run and u can get double digit fish down there if u get the rite spots. slacker water in the niagara is what to look for.

binbrook conservation eh?

i was told by several people that its mostly crappie fishing and to even get a bass is a total bonus these days. if it holds walleye i might try there,thanks.

Lunatic, I got the same troubles you do. I used to fish for Walleye out of Pt Maitland, but not for years. Miss fishing for them, and my river fishing chops are a little rusty, so I'll be practising them this year. Did a little worm drowning yesterday up on the Grand, managed to get a 14" sucker, but that was it for the day. If I manage to find some Wallys I'll pass along the info. Fishing in Hamilton is getting tougher and tougher with so many rods in the water...

binbrook conservation eh?

i was told by several people that its mostly crappie fishing and to even get a bass is a total bonus these days. if it holds walleye i might try there,thanks.

Yup, theres pickerel there.As well as big crappy,bass,and pike.

Saw a few pics of some nice sized walleyes that were supposedly caught in Hamilton Harbour last summer, I would think a more detailed location would be held very closely. Think it was on the webpage of a Hamilton Tackle retailer.

Saw a few pics of some nice sized walleyes that were supposedly caught in Hamilton Harbour last summer, I would think a more detailed location would be held very closely. Think it was on the webpage of a Hamilton Tackle retailer.

There's been a major effort to restore walleye populations in the harbour for many years, including habitat restoration work and the live transfer of adult walleye from the Bay of Quinte to form a local brood stock. There is now a limited walleye fishery in Hamilton harbour, mainly for trophy fish, but as with anything else it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The fish are highly migratory and spend most of the summer in Lake Ontario. But under the right conditions, trolling certain areas of the harbour at night with big stickbaits can be VERY rewarding.

Binbrook has a small population of walleye that have been stocked in the last two years as well as a few Quinte fish that were held back from the Hamilton Harbour stocking. More fish stocking is planned in the future depending on funding which comes from the spring crappie derby. As for bass fishing in Binbrook, it's good and getting better every year. And yes, it's catch and release for walleye,bass and pike. If you are in the Hamilton area, look for a free day pass in the Val Pack coupon envelope coming soon...

These are all really good suggestions guys. i have my first baby due at the end of april so im not sure how many times i'll get our for walleye when season opens but i'll be trying im sure lol

i only C&R so binbrook will have no problems with me.

i'll keep my eyes open for the val pac ;)

I read somewhere that pushlinch lake up hwy 6 has walleye in it,,we were going to check it out this summer ,used to waterski up there ,got a bit dry there but heard they have saved it,, wouldnt'be able to tell you about it until we go in june though..