Mounting Downriggers

cwpowell

Hi guys, my dad and I are getting the new boat ready for the water today. We had to rewire the aerator and bilge because the guy we bought it off of had a really shotty wiring job done. Anyway it's a 16' Starcraft aluminum. We have some Cannon Easy-troll manual downriggers we want to get mounted on it. How did y'all do yours? Whats the best way?

Thanks in advance

Charles

Is it a console or tiller model? Some use a full side to side mount (wooden plank or actual rigger mounts) attached to the gunnels, others use individual mounts along the side, again, depends on how wide your gunnels are. I have mine mounted on 14" high pedestals which are bolted to a 1"x8" maple board that spans the center bench seat. No flex action whatsoever.

I have a side console Fisher and I mounted my easy trolls forward of the console.

My boat has raised casting decks for and aft and it is safer leaning over the side where the boat is the deepest. I have never had any tangling problems in the near,y 19 years I've owned the boat. I have had the right rigger hit and watched a rainbow clear the water on the left though. :rofl2: ::rofl2:

My gunnels are wide enough to bolt the bases down without any modification or adapters. Another bonus of mounting them forward is you can watch your rods without getting neck pain from always turning around. ;)

P4050007.jpg

P4050008.jpg

Hey drifter, thanks for your post, it really helped. What I am looking for are those bases that you slide your driggers into that you have bolted to the gunnels.

They are the mounts that come with the downriggers, you will have to order them as replacement parts from a Cannon dealer.

Like here: Cannon Easitroll Mounts

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Mount a pair of sidecutters on a lanyard next to each rigger, A buddy saw 3 waves pull down an 18'er after it snagged bottom with riggers.

That's the prime reason I will never bottom bounce or drag my cballs. It's also wise to properly adjust the cluches or brake mechanism to allow freespool when snagged.

I would think that after the first wave or even the second wave i would have been slamming the reverse gear real fast.

or even neutral.

then after that i would just throw my underwear out. :oops:

Backing up into waves is a bad idea... probably worse than having your cannon balls snagged.