Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Wow, been gone most of the day and missed all the replies to this...lots of good points. I still think the minimum requirement idea of 100 posts for a "special" members forum is a good idea. I think I know which forum Bill is referring to as I am a member there as well...the requirement is quite a bit less than 100, but, it does cut down on lurkers.

I also agree with Steve R...I don't even bother reporting my steelhead trips, between either having to distort backgrounds, or worry about somebody taking your virtual head off for showing them it just isn't worth the hassle. That said, I still enjoy reading these reports when posted by Mike or Bill or whomever...I take it for what it is...enjoyment of the sport. There aren't too many secrets left out there, and, I am darn sure that any of those special spots are well guarded by the guys (as they should be)!!!!

Going way back to the beginning of this post, don't let it bother you Doc, not worth it! :D

Back to the original point by the Doc...it is interesting though...right now there are 65 members online and 57 guests (lurkers)...thats kindof odd...why not join? takes what about 30 seconds?

Every once in a while I clear out my cookies.Then I become a "visitor".Then when I try to post I have to log in.Then I am a memeber.That might explain some of the visitors.I would be all for a members only steehead and trout forum to keep the spring trib fights contained.Maybe a native walleye/pickeral netting and selling to reastaurants member only area would be good also.A vertical hold musky/bigass pike area may work also.All smartassiness aside maybe a members area only would encourage some of the lurkers to come on board and cuntribute instead of just taking from the forum.You might be onto something here.

Joe

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Every once in a while I clear out my cookies.Then I become a "visitor".Then when I try to post I have to log in.Then I am a memeber.That might explain some of the visitors.I would be all for a members only steehead and trout forum to keep the spring trib fights contained.Maybe a native walleye/pickeral netting and selling to reastaurants member only area would be good also.A vertical hold musky/bigass pike area may work also.All smartassiness aside maybe a members area only would encourage some of the lurkers to come on board and cuntribute instead of just taking from the forum.You might be onto something here.

Joe

if we're gonna go back to pissing each other off, you're gonna have to stop saying funny stuff like this!

Joe

About 12 years ago,..before the smoking ban went Province wide, it was enforced in Guelph, ON. The univeristy campus bars had a little scapegoat in that you had to have a student card to get in...making it a private club....downtown all the bars felt a choke almost overnight.....Ingenious as i thought the idea...i talked to 2 different pub owners and told them to charge $1 for a lifelong membership...not sure how that worked out as I left town the same year...but it could be a concept here..I would pay $1 to be a member here...anyone else?

Edited by StoneFly

I really can't figure out what guide from t Bay would be upset about fishing steelhead in the Sault.

I can understand a guy from the south not wanting people to head up to the sault because he would loose customers. T Bay has as good or better steelhead fishing. I would think he would be happy that sal was getting guys pumped up to get out and newbs would call the guide for a few trips.

Nope..I don't get it.

I think the mods should ban fishing reports all together!

Ya say The Bog and the shore angler get pissed,take a picture of a rock on a river bank and the trout guys get pissed,take a picture with a cottage in the background and the boat anglers get pissed,say you caught a Walleye with a spinner bait and another group gets pissed,mention a spot on a lake and some guide gets his shorts in a knot.

Gotta love todays selfcentered all about me people and the ones using the resource to cash a cheque seem to be the worst.

I think the mods should ban fishing reports all together!

Ya say The Bog and the shore angler get pissed,take a picture of a rock on a river bank and the trout guys get pissed,take a picture with a cottage in the background and the boat anglers get pissed,say you caught a Walleye with a spinner bait and another group gets pissed,mention a spot on a lake and some guide gets his shorts in a knot.

Gotta love todays selfcentered all about me people and the ones using the resource to cash a cheque seem to be the worst.

Should ban your Habs Avatar..Lol

if we're gonna go back to pissing each other off, you're gonna have to stop saying funny stuff like this!

Wea re good bud..I'll be sure to find sumthin to get under yer skin aboot soon enough...Meanwhile happy easter.

Joe

if you can identify a river by seeing a fish, a few spruce trees and some rocks then wouldn't you already KNOW where that spot it?

You already said it Doc...

I've identified a couple of spots in a few members posts, but the truth is I recognize it...cause I fish it.

No body is EVER going to recognize a spot they've never seen :whistling:

You Kinda have to have seen it in order recognize it....just common sence IMO

Keep keep'n on and ingnore the haters. :good:

Edited by Cookslav

and this one .. so how does a post count total mean the member is contributing???

Valid points, but, how many people are going to actually bother doing that? Anyways it was a thought/suggestion that I'm sure the "mods" have already considered.

In the end it comes down to the point that for better or worse the internet and fishing forums exist...if you don't like them...don't use them. Like anything else dealing with a large group of people, you will have many opinions. You will also have arguments, it just isn't worth taking them personally...two guys on another forum were ready to come to blows over comments made...ironically they met on a cruise ship not long ago...one of them recoginised the other, they talked and came to terms sharing a few "pops" over the duration of the cruise. Things can get really twisted on the internet!

I for one am happy that I have met some quality people through this and other forums.

You already said it Doc...

I've identified a couple of spots in a few members posts, but the truth is I recognize it...cause I fish it.

No body is EVER going to recognize a spot they've never seen :whistling:LOL...

You Kinda have to have seen it in order recognize it....just common sence IMO

Keep keep'n on and ingnore the haters. :good:

Bingo!!!Cook is the winner!!!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

he since said that it's NOT that i'm giving away spots, it's that my every day posts are providing up to the minute conditions on superior tribs for people... i can't win!