anyone excited for trout opener?

johnl

OH you bet johnl.... I just can't wait for the opener. April 23rd can't come soon enough :lol:

Leechman

Yes its so far away it will be April 24th for me Lake Memphremagog or lake Champlain Vermont.Unless I get an in vite from Paul and Jacques on the 23rd to the land of the big Mouchete!!!!!!!!!!You guys are des champions!!!!!!!!!

MTP

Yes its so far away it will be April 24th for me Lake Memphremagog or lake Champlain Vermont.Unless I get an in vite from Paul and Jacques on the 23rd to the land of the big Mouchete!!!!!!!!!!You guys are des champions!!!!!!!!!

MTP

No problems Mike... lets get together on the 23rd :good: I know a good lake for them monster speckle ;)

I'm off that Friday.... me and Melissa are going to be going for them trout and hope she gets into her very first B) It's only an hour 1/2 drive from my place :)

Excited about opener? You bet…It’s been a long standing tradition for my dad and me. We go to the same river each year and leave the house waaaay earlier than any other trip during the year. Crowds are usually pretty insane (but they fluctuate from year to year). The opener for us is our chance to revisit a few beautiful stretches of river we haven’t seen for a long time – Kinda like meeting an old friend for the first time every year. I also get to see a few people I only see once a year now…Some of whom played a huge role in helping me along in my own steelheading career. Fun times if you have the right frame of mind.

I went out for opener for the first time last year,...WOW,...unbelievable how many people come out for it...and the slaughter is a somewhat saddening. :( spring came early this year,..and I have already witnessed a few dropbacks...I have to admit that I had fun fishing those hungry droppies last may,..but that being said...for the good of the fishery,..Im kinda hoping they all blow out before the April 24. If not,.I will of course be there to catch and release them,...to swim and spawn next year...with no eggs left in the females and the fact that they come from Lake O,..there should be no reason really why all are not released. Just a thought. :)

Edited by StoneFly

:Gonefishing: Softwater fishing .My most favourite time of the year.Get the old rod ,lawn chair and my favourite brewskie and head down to the river and nail a few brookies.Pesky little critters just can,t seem to resist my bait. Has been a long winter.Now it,s time for the soft water guys to get out. Excited certainly. Steve

:lol: May be for you... but not up here ;) April 23rd is the day :good:

I can't keep up with all the different openers. hard enough to keep my own in line.

Hows this..walleyes opens May long weekend, except lake huron..May 1, except

St marys river to lake george, June 1, except from lake George to bruce mines, limit zero...what the heck is all that

I can't keep up with all the different openers. hard enough to keep my own in line.

Hows this..walleyes opens May long weekend, except lake huron..May 1, except

St marys river to lake george, June 1, except from lake George to bruce mines, limit zero...what the heck is all that

I hear ya Dara.... to stay current must read the regs... that's the only way ;)

Opener means the end of steelheading and the start of real trout fishing.

Can't wait.

Let all the rubes fight it out for dropbacks, I'll be fishing for specs and big resident browns.

Unfortunately with the arrival of our first little one and other responsibilities steelheading has taken back seat this year. Oh well there is always next year.

But i hear you, I can't stand the crowds of opener. I plan to break out my fly rod and see if I can get some residents browns, brooks,etc this year. Last year at about 1 in the morning on opener I caught a beautiful resident brown and found it more rewarding than a dropback steelhead.

Opener means the end of steelheading and the start of real trout fishing.

Can't wait.

Let all the rubes fight it out for dropbacks, I'll be fishing for specs and big resident browns.

Exactly.

ice out brookies all the way!

Yup,

I've been planning, and plotting for the last 2 months...heck I'm already packed LOL!

Still a Couple of weeks to work out and get in "portage" shape.

I hope to not hurt quite as much this year :whistling:

As far as steelheading goes...I tend to stay away from the rivers on that weekend...too much of a zoo. Everybody and their brother seems to go fishing on the opener. Even the spots that are open to all year fishing get hit really hard.

I agree with a few other statements, would rather be fishing a secluded stream for brookies or browns.

I may do my regular round trip before opener and see whats going on.It will probably be the same as the past few years.On opener I may hit those little quite spots for brookies and so forth.They may not be big but they sure are spunkie.

It beats fishing shoulder to shoulder and watching a fist fight every so often.