Black Tuesday?

SlowPoke

china's stock exchange was down 9%. You had to know today was not going to be a picnic in north america too.

Its a pretty big correction. The big question is will the rest of the week follow suit or like I tend to believe will the market gain wed-fri?

Hope your not losing to much today!

Cheers!

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

ps. tsx -363 so its gaining some ground hopefully it keeps up!

Yep...

I read about the China correction and thought it was a drastic NAmerican reaction and figured there would be an afternoon rebound but around 2:50PM markets took a further swan dive... 100 points on both markets in about 10 minutes. I have seen nothing to substantiate it. The rebound since then will only get us back to 2:00PM levels at best where otherwise we might settled back to 150+- losses on both markets.

I really shouldn't be watching it... I don't plan on selling anyway.

Ouch.

Chill out and relax.

Unless you just bought into the market in the last few weeks you are loosing what you had yesterday but you were gaining at an incredable rate anyway so you have only lost part of what you gained. Anyone who invests should be prepaired to see things like this happen, it will recover! it always does, it's a fact! The biggest mistake you can make is to sell when it is going down and buy when it is going up.

Two years ago the TSX was at about 11,400 It closed yesterday at somewhere around 13,400. If you have been in the market for a while (and if you are going to invest in the market it should be long term) you are still in good shape. If you invest in the market short term you need help or one heck of a lot of luck!

Gas was 99.9 in the Cambridge area today...prolly didn't have the guts to hit the $ 1.00 mark (looks bad and all) BUT you know it's going to come in light of today's trading. Doesn't take them much to infuse panic these days. Even if it's only their own minds.

Could be worse Bucktail...you could have done like my wife did a few years back and invested large into a CI mutual fund right after the markets closed...and then immediately after and on the same night Nortel announced their huge 1/4ly loss that turned their stock certificates to toilet paper. Lost 16% in one night. BUT she let it ride....and the same mutual fund is now worth 168% of her original investment.

All we lost was house money if we've been invested for any length of time. Alan Greenspan did his part for today's drop by talking about the end of a cycle and a coming recession. IMO he's been greatly over rated. I see him more as a cause of crashes in the market rather than a predictor. He's had too much power and has played with us at our expens, in many cases.

We seem to all be in the same boat with our investing in the stock market. We don't have a lot of money and need to bet on the market to make our investments grow. People with big money go into safer places such as bonds. They don't have to grow theirs. Just need to protect it.

China is down again on the 28th and tomorrow's going to be a little early for me to buy. My wife and I are eligible to buy two Roth IRAs for 2007 at the catchup amount. I think anyone over 50 can buy a $5000 Roth if they have earned income for the year. I don't have to sweat the age requirement.

What goes down will come up eventually, at least that’s what my third wife told me

Bad news yesterday. Alan Greenspan just can’t keep his mouth shut. This guy has had a string of bad economic calls so it’s a gloomy Greenspan versus a happy Ben Bernanke.

And then the Taliban missed Cheney

Armed with blind faith in our global economy I bought 2 Roth IRA first thing this morning with just two clicks on the keyboard. Just like the guy on TV, except I wasn't charged a fee. We'll soon know how smart I am. Or the other thing....................................

Didn't make a big buy because I don't have big money.