Guess what I did tonight

danbouck

Congrats on that man. But what am I missing here, I've never fished for carp, they gross me out for one, they aren't a pretty fish, bass, pike, muskie, browns, rainbows, speckles, to me those are beautiful fish! Is it the fight they put up? What is it? They just don't appeal to me. Fill me in guys!

Congrats on that man. But what am I missing here, I've never fished for carp, they gross me out for one, they aren't a pretty fish, bass, pike, muskie, browns, rainbows, speckles, to me those are beautiful fish! Is it the fight they put up? What is it? They just don't appeal to me. Fill me in guys!

They fight like crazy.... take some bread and some corn.. make a small doughball about the size of a quarter and bury a # 6 bait hook in it.... put a couple of large split shots about a foot above the doughball and hook.

Toss it in an area where you know carp reside... and keep your hand on your trout rod.... let the bait sit on the bottom.... when that line moves,,, get ready to set the hook,.,, and then HANG ON ,,,,, Carp are a BLAST .... even if I didn't know that Dan's carp had a mirro on it ! lol

wtg Dan,,,

Cw

How many fish over 30lbs have you caught?

Cw

How many fish over 30lbs have you caught?

What I was going to say. I caught the one in my avatar last year while fishing for steelhead. Totally unexpected. I didn't see that fish until 10 minutes into the fight. Took me 100 yards upstream. To put the fish in perspective, I am 6 foot 3 and er 250lb.

Edited by Dutchy

Great catch Dan! A beauty of a specimen. I can count on a single hand the number of fully scaled carp I've caught over 20+yrs of fishing for them. Well done.

A fully scaled mirror?? I am clearly confused :wallbash:

A fully scaled mirror carp has large irregular shaped scales - at least by normal common carp standards - covering its whole body. It’s a rarity in terms of North American carp.

You have a standard common carp which has regular scale patterns over its body.

P1010336.jpg

You have a mirror carp (which has irregular shaped scales. Leather carp have no scales whatsoever. Linear mirror carp have a single row of scales along their lateral lines.

These are regular mirror carp

IMG_4185a-2.jpg

20060625_0046.jpg

DSC_8900.jpg

I normally get 1 mirror carp for every 200 common carp I get. Some places have better concentrations than others.

Definitely can't go wrong with carp :thumbsup_anim:

Great catch Dan! A beauty of a specimen. I can count on a single hand the number of fully scaled carp I've caught over 20+yrs of fishing for them. Well done.

A fully scaled mirror carp has large irregular shaped scales - at least by normal common carp standards - covering its whole body. It’s a rarity in terms of North American carp.

P1010336.jpg

You have a mirror carp (which has irregular shaped scales. Leather carp have no scales whatsoever. Linear mirror carp have a single row of scales along their lateral lines.

These are regular mirror carp

IMG_4185a-2.jpg

20060625_0046.jpg

DSC_8900.jpg

I normally get 1 mirror carp for every 200 common carp I get. Some places have better concentrations than others.

Definitely can't go wrong with carp :thumbsup_anim:

LOL that 2nd last carp looks like barney gumble or something, it looks drunk....and ugly.

ive caught about 4 carp maybe 5 in my life,none really gave me a "good fight" all were in the 10lb range. Although i still have many people tell me stories about hard fighting carp. they're just too ugly for me

LOL that 2nd last carp looks like barney gumble or something, it looks drunk....and ugly.

ive caught about 4 carp maybe 5 in my life,none really gave me a "good fight" all were in the 10lb range. Although i still have many people tell me stories about hard fighting carp. they're just too ugly for me

If you don't fish for the table, and only does C&R, it doesn't really matter how they look like. You can hook into big fish and potentially get decent numbers as well within a 15 minutes drive from home. (seeing that you're from Hamilton, I'm actually very jealous of that)

They do fight harder when it's warmer, maybe all the ones you've hooked into so far were caught during the cooler months? If you have a couple of hours to kill, give it another go when it's warmer. Hamilton Harbour houses alot of big fish, there are some 30s in there and even 40s have been caught.

Edited by Victor

If you don't fish for the table, and only does C&R, it doesn't really matter how they look like. You can hook into big fish and potentially get decent numbers as well within a 15 minutes drive from home. (seeing that you're from Hamilton, I'm actually very jealous of that)

They do fight harder when it's warmer, maybe all the ones you've hooked into so far were caught during the cooler months? If you have a couple of hours to kill, give it another go when it's warmer. Hamilton Harbour houses alot of big fish, there are some 30s in there and even 40s have been caught.

to be honest a big reason why i do not target carp is because its more of a sit n wait type of fishing. i prefer jigs,spinners and top water action. only when truly bored do i bust out the bobber n worm set ups. even tho one carp i caught was hooked on a spoon.

Thanks for the explanation, I actually do carp fish a bit, caught several various stages of mirrors, just assumed due to the fact that it was fully scaled it really couldn't be called a mirror.

to be honest a big reason why i do not target carp is because its more of a sit n wait type of fishing. i prefer jigs,spinners and top water action. only when truly bored do i bust out the bobber n worm set ups. even tho one carp i caught was hooked on a spoon.

There is not much waiting if you find a good spot. I had one on yesterday before I was able to set my rod down.

Who knew there was so much to learn about carp!!!

No worries TJ...The article should be on its way in the coming week

700 words was definitely not enough :whistling: ...I got a little bit excited when I wrote it :D